Want to play Dungeons and Dragons 5E?

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I tried linking that yesterday, but I was on my phone.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Troy

Post by Troy »

Fucking lol. Reading that on the bus ride in for sure.

Everyone’s got macros, everyone’s character sheets but Cake’s is filled in. I’ve got a placeholder wizard made if he makes it.

I quizzed Zelda on her spells last night and she crushed it.

All is ready, I think.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I haven't seen anything in writing about mixing alignments. Who can party with who. So not sure on that.

Also, are we starting a pool betting on which week we'll be looking for someone to play a Druid in our party? ;-)
Troy

Post by Troy »

Cakedaddy wrote: I haven't seen anything in writing about mixing alignments. Who can party with who. So not sure on that.

Also, are we starting a pool betting on which week we'll be looking for someone to play a Druid in our party? ;-)
It’s entirely RP related,so up to y’all. I think someone said no CEs, because a LG paladin wouldn’t allow it.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

My LG Paladin is probably going to be a man of few words, barking out the occasional tactical suggestions, but making his distaste for lesser races known with a look.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Cakedaddy wrote: I haven't seen anything in writing about mixing alignments. Who can party with who. So not sure on that.

Hey - can you register on Roll20 so I can link your account to your character?

Gotta run into work for half the day, but will be back and will try to sort out issues I can. Zelda has commited to leaving work at 5PST, home and ready to roll by 5:30 PST.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

just a reminder, i will probably not be ready to go by 8est. i'll be on as early as i can though
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I have registered.

Wizard. Human.

I rolled 18 for all stats. Totally.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Cakedaddy wrote: I have registered.

Wizard. Human.

I rolled 18 for all stats. Totally.
You are linked, you can launch the game and access your character sheet.

Voice is tested and green lit. Mordigan and I could hear each other well, and his character macros all seem to be working.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Voice through the website?
Troy

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote:Voice through the website?
Right in the browser. It's slick.

There are adjustments for up/down on each person, to equalize volume, and the option to click your own mic and mute it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

Session 0. Friday

Topaz = 10 gold
Ruby = 15 gold

Alex - Ruby, Small Healing Potion
Mordigan - Ruby
Koban - 5g pouch, Topaz
Zelda - Small Healing Potion
BeeDee - Small Healing Potion

Let me know if I messed it up. I'll try to keep track session-to-session
Last edited by Troy on Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Troy

Post by Troy »

I did discover, a bit late, that I have an initiative order tool. I should have been using that instead of writing it down. It creates an ordered table that I can just move through.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I don't like the "initiative you roll at the beginning sticks through several rounds of combat." That doesn't seem correct. Double check that.

Used to be you rolled initiative every round, and that's how we liked it. We loved it.
Troy

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: I don't like the "initiative you roll at the beginning sticks through several rounds of combat." That doesn't seem correct. Double check that.

Used to be you rolled initiative every round, and that's how we liked it. We loved it.
Here's the PHB on Roll20. I also bolded something i discovered right above that passage that made me super happy.

Initiative
Initiative determines the order of turns during combat. When combat starts, every participant makes a Dexterity check to determine their place in the initiative order. The GM makes one roll for an entire group of identical creatures, so each member of the group acts at the same time.

The GM ranks the combatants in order from the one with the highest Dexterity check total to the one with the lowest. This is the order (called the initiative order) in which they act during each round. The initiative order remains the same from round to round.

* different INIT's for the same spider was brutal

e2: it also meant an entire pack of wolves should have had 17 initiative in our first tactical battle. That would have hurt
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: Session 0. Friday

Topaz = 10 gold
Ruby = 15 gold

Alex - Ruby, Small Healing Potion
Mordigan - Ruby
Koban - 5g pouch, Topaz
Zelda - Small Healing Potion
BeeDee - Small Healing Potion

Let me know if I messed it up. I'll try to keep track session-to-session
I also found a Ring of Evasion and a Bag of Holding.
Troy wrote: That would have hurt
Seriously though, is it your job to kill us or challenge us? Had those wolves all acted first, it's very likely we would have all died.

You need to be more like this guy:
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote:
Seriously though, is it your job to kill us or challenge us? Had those wolves all acted first, it's very likely we would have all died.

You need to be more like this guy:

Ha - but you guys wrecked those bandits so hard. The wolves were better than a realized, and worth a little more XP.

In my defense. You were warned there were dangerous wolves behind a rock. Ya'll just walked right up.

They popped into the order as soon as you noticed each other.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

"Fuck... the wolf missed..."

;-)
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

We were warned. And then you said "You need to go right over here" *pings map*.

Over all, I think things went well last night. It wasn't handed to us, but no permanent damage was done.

Gordon asked about taking a defensive posture last night: Actions in Combat
Page 192 - Dodge: You focus entirely on avoiding attacks until your next turn. Any attack roll made against you has disadvantage if you can see the attacker . . .
There is also 'Disengage' - Your movement doesn't provoke opportunity attacks for the rest of the turn. Can't attack, but can move without opportunity attack. So, Mord could have moved toward that one spider without getting attacked by the one close to him.
Hide is also an action. Being that me are mostly TKV members, I think this action should have been used WAY more than it was last night. :-)

I'm going to make other notes in here that I come across that we may not have been applying last night. If they are rules we are ignoring (materials for casting), then cool. DM's call. Just wanted to make note of them in case they were just over looked as there's a lot going on.

Advantage/disadvantage: If two actions give you advantage/disadvantage, only one extra D20 is rolled and applied to both situations.
We can move, attack, move again up to the max 30 feet.
Ready - You can put your turn on hold declaring a trigger. If that trigger occurs, you take your turn (or continue to hold thus giving up your turn). "I hold ready for an attack. If the monster advances next to me, I attack." I can ready a spell and hold it for a trigger as well.
Opportunity attacks only occur when you move out of reach of another creature.
Cover gives +2 or +5 bonus to AC and Dex saving throws.
Just read that the "damage modifier is not added to many spells, especially cantrips". Have to figure out how to know which get it and which don't, if that statement is correct. Reading further, "the spell will specifically state if you are adding your spell casting modifier to your damage. By default you do not. And looking further, there are spells that specify adding it." None of mine do so far.
Each spell's description indicates whether you need to make an attack roll, or the target needs to make a saving throw, or both. - So, if a spell doesn't specify a saving throw, there isn't one? As in, no saving throw against a Firebolt?

Does a DC 10 Wisdom check mean that you need a roll of 10 or higher (after adding your Wis modifier)?
Seems setting up your spells on your CORE page could conflict with what's on your SPELLS page. Playing around and it seems some changes made on one page will update the other, but some changes don't. Very confusing.

That's all for now.