Want to play Dungeons and Dragons 5E?

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Troy

Post by Troy »

Had fun tonight. Laughed a bunch. At least everyone made some money.

I should have jumped down and done something more with Izek, but it was too funny watching Alex finally agree with Malfoy.

Hey Gordon, a discussion we were kind of having I missed a few. I'll DM you answers.

e: Oh and Zelda isn't permanently out, I heard that wrong. It was a bad night for a friend of hers.
Last edited by Troy on Sat May 05, 2018 2:49 am, edited 5 times in total.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Awesome night tonight. I felt like I was the main character for the evening. Got to introduce one of my new spells in an interesting way. Thank you for that plot line. I know everyone else was highly distracted through the night as well, so it kind of worked out that I had that thing to work through.

Alex was stressing over who to ask for help. He knew Mordigan wouldn't care that we were doing something super fucked up. Hell, we're gettin' paid! But I knew Koban would be much more level headed about everything, but was also afraid he'd be pissed that I brought him into it.

Really enjoyed getting into character. And like I said, when I had to explain to the rest of the group what was going on, I literally had my hand at my face covering it as I was talking knowing that I was involving the whole party in such a fucked up situation. Alex really felt bad but he didn't know what to do! I will also admit, that Alex watched what he said to Malphoy because 'I' knew everyone else could hear! If no one else had been on the 'line', I would have had a slightly different conversation with Malphoy.

Awesome. Best night ever for me.

And Malphoy is probably going to cause a shit ton more trouble before this is over.

Different topic: Communications. I like when Troy says "mute your mics" because it helps the story move along uninterrupted, etc. We could take it to another level with Teamspeak (or similar). Troy can move us into private rooms to have private conversations. Gordon can clear up questions he has, we can have private conversations with NPCs, etc. On the other hand, hearing the whole story is fun, we just have to ignore the spoilers. How much differently would the scene in the attic have played out if Leisher came in with no knowledge? Maybe not too much different, but would have been more interesting or fun? But then, the rest of the group would have totally missed out on the scene. But again, I watched what I was saying. Over all, it's hard for me to stay 100% objective when it comes to stuff I shouldn't know about, but do because I'm in the same channel. I know it, so my character knows it, but I try to act like he doesn't. But then, I also don't want to miss the action! So, pros and cons.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

To me it felt like an elaborate way to get Alex to a magic shop that he's been asking about.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Troy

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: To me it felt like an elaborate way to get Alex to a magic shop that he's been asking about.
A little bit. I had tried to get him to the Burgomasters mansion in the previous session. Didn’t take. I didn’t want Victor (Malfoy) to have to hide in the attic any longer.

And I needed to show the Izek / Ireena weirdness.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: e: Oh and Zelda isn't permanently out, I heard that wrong. It was a bad night for a friend of hers.
Good. I mean, good she's returning, not good about her friend.

Zelda adds a lot to the party. Plus, I really want to fight the werebears.
Cakedaddy wrote: I know everyone else was highly distracted through the night as well
True story. I was very much "out of it". Tired from traveling across the country and felt rushed.

I goofed badly on that auction scene. Sorry. I didn't have my notes out and had to leave for almost the entire scene to help my wife move luggage and say goodnight to my oldest daughter. We know where to find that guy, so maybe if we don't run into him again, we can seek him out.
Cakedaddy wrote: I like when Troy says "mute your mics" because it helps the story move along uninterrupted, etc.
I had my mic on mute a lot of the evening, so it might take me a second to unmute it to respond to things.
Cakedaddy wrote: We could take it to another level with Teamspeak (or similar). Troy can move us into private rooms to have private conversations. Gordon can clear up questions he has, we can have private conversations with NPCs, etc. On the other hand, hearing the whole story is fun, we just have to ignore the spoilers. How much differently would the scene in the attic have played out if Leisher came in with no knowledge? Maybe not too much different, but would have been more interesting or fun? But then, the rest of the group would have totally missed out on the scene. But again, I watched what I was saying. Over all, it's hard for me to stay 100% objective when it comes to stuff I shouldn't know about, but do because I'm in the same channel. I know it, so my character knows it, but I try to act like he doesn't. But then, I also don't want to miss the action! So, pros and cons.
I agree that things would be much cooler if we didn't know the story, BUT we want to hear the story. That's why we're playing. Plus, you'd risk boring people or disengaging them. Additionally, listening to other scenes gives folks time to formulate plans and whatnot.

Notes/questions from tonight:
1. Did we give the detective fruit and/or kiss and makeup?
2. Can we do any errands "off screen" that won't be part of story? For example: Can we knock out the bolts, smelting of silver, etc. without needing to RP that stuff since it has nothing to do with the story...unless it does...
3. Did the party agree to let me smelt the silver candelabra to make silver bolts?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I picture Koban walking up to the attic, blind, not knowing the story, seeing the skeletal kitties, and a pale, crazy guy, and Alex says, "You have to help me hide this dead dog."

Koban takes a beat, and says, "Nigga wut?"
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: 2. Can we do any errands "off screen" that won't be part of story? For example: Can we knock out the bolts, smelting of silver, etc. without needing to RP that stuff since it has nothing to do with the story...unless it does...
Sure - We left off at the stockyard. Like a farmer/hunter/outdoorsmen shop. They don't have weapons or armor though.

Don't see why you couldn't just buy stakes and wooden arrows there.

The silver-work and weapons/armor will take the dwarven smith. Who lives in a gypsy encampment to the south of the town. I shouldn't hand wave the encampment or the woods. But it did sound like the party was interested in going there next.

The Party and the Detective had a good talk about the town's threats and current problems in the morning.

I don't think we got past 10AM in game time.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Was the dead dog part of the written campaign, or did you make him up completely to get me supplies? What about the paladin book you gave Gordon? Is that part of the written campaign, or did you make it up? I'm wondering how much of the stuff we are doing is actually in the book, and how much is made up because you think it would be fun.

I think our priority needs to be the dog. Unless we want to just leave it there for someone else to find. Are we going to pick it up and take it to baron, risking getting in trouble for disturbing the crime scene? Are we going to do that so we DO disturb the crime scene?! Report it found and have the detective check out the scene undisturbed?

I feel like we have to tread carefully and make all the right decisions so we aren't immediately blamed. Or, maybe it was just a way to get me supplies and I'm over thinking it.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Cakedaddy wrote: Was the dead dog part of the written campaign, or did you make him up completely to get me supplies? What about the paladin book you gave Gordon? Is that part of the written campaign, or did you make it up? I'm wondering how much of the stuff we are doing is actually in the book, and how much is made up because you think it would be fun.
All of the new NPCs and/or "story" plot hooks from the last session were out of the campaign source material. The dogs and Malfoy too.

Metatron is a bit made up but is well established already and I love him to help guide plot hooks.

I will occasionally change names when I want to be lazy with an accent or something.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Pg 148 of the PHB talks about plating weapons in silver for 100gp per weapon or 10 pieces of ammunition.

Koban has requested to do that to his crossbow bolts by melting down his silver candelabra so i guess i'd like to do the same with my Greatsword but i'd pay the fee, unless its just a ridiculous price.

Do we know if there is anyone in Vallaki that can do this?
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Stranger wrote: Koban has requested to do that to his crossbow bolts by melting down his silver candelabra so i guess i'd like to do the same with my Greatsword but i'd pay the fee, unless its just a ridiculous price.
Is there a drawback to having a silver weapon? Does it do less damage to some other creatures we see a lot? Is it less durable?

It won't be much help with vampires, but all the "were______" we fight should hate it.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Protip: "In the middle of a divorce/house refi" is a bad time to start a D&D campaign.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Leisher wrote: Is there a drawback to having a silver weapon?
According to PHB:
This cost represents not only the price of the silver, but the
time and expertise needed to add silver to the weapon
without making it less effective.
I'd say there is no drawback, unless there are creatures that are immune to silver. I don't happen to know any right off hand.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

GORDON wrote: Protip: "In the middle of a divorce/house refi" is a bad time to start a D&D campaign.
i know its gotta be hard to concentrate on D&D for you right now, but i think you're doing fine.

God knows i'm always being distracted throughout the night and miss alot of the story plot lines.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Protip: "In the middle of a divorce/house refi" is a bad time to start a D&D campaign.
Take nights off if needed and, as always, you can reach out to any of us if you need to vent.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Or, the best time?
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I've just had zero minutes where I've had both the motivation and time to think and make decisions about the heavy storyline I was given.
Troy

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: I've just had zero minutes where I've had both the motivation and time to think and make decisions about the heavy storyline I was given.
I’ve thought about that. It’s kind of a longer term plot hook too. You’ve got some sessions and a level or two before you can realistically accomplish it.

I think we should take a step back and just have you aware of it, and work it in as it comes up.

I culled a lot of the longer parts of the journals to BeeDee and Mordigan, leaving more agency for the players to make.

For Friday - the party was told a dwarven smith was in the gypsy encampment in the woods outside of town. I’m kind of planning on the party wanting to go there next session based of what people have told me they want to do.

But then again... Vallaki is a twisted web of plot hooks. So we’ll just see what hits.
Last edited by Troy on Fri May 11, 2018 2:45 am, edited 7 times in total.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Word.

And hey... after June 30, I'm going to be in a good mood like 24/7. That will be a good time to dive in, deep.