Strafe: Millennium Edition

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Got this from the Humble Bundle Monthly subscription thing.

If Doom had sex with Rogue plus a touch of Dragon's Lair.

So FPS + randomly generating levels you'll be going through multiple times and learning more each time.

I HATED it when I first launched it. 90s graphics. The mouse sensitivity was set WAY too high, and I had no clue what the hell was going on. However, I figured I'd knock it out real quick and grab whatever achievements are there. And the game grew on me.

I started learning more and more what enemies are doing, what weapons do what, what all the items and power ups do, etc. I began getting farther and farther in levels. I even cheated a touch to learn what I'm supposed to be doing and discovered why I wasn't getting the options I should have been getting (hint: teleporter parts need to be put into the teleporter...one a run).

The enemies range from simple to annoying, but en masse they kick ass. I get zombie hordes more...

If you enjoy FPS games and don't mind repetitive stuff in a non-repetitive world, this is a solid bit of nostalgia mixed with new game design, but not at $10 on Steam. I'd highly recommend it at $5 and less.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The best compliment I can pay this FPS is that I beat it last night, yet I still want to keep playing it.

There is a ton of hidden shit in this game, including a reward room if the game glitches on you. I fell through a wall and ended up in a "glitch store" where all the items were free.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I've beaten it with the shotgun, rail gun, and now machine gun. I still haven't come close to seeing all the secrets.

I neglected to mention that there are persistent things in your runs. If you get it, here's a pro tip: When you first enter you'll see a dead guy. Shoot his head off until you hear a chime. That adds Wolfenstein clones that take 30 seconds to beat and give you additional stuff.

Did I mention it's one life per run?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

They did a big update and dropped the price.

Also now available on Mac and Linux.

Again: Rogue-like FPS. One life per run. Fun as hell. TONS of secrets that aren't just secret rooms, but secret weapons, games, stores, etc.