The Evil Within

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

The Evil Within

Post by Leisher »

I bought this during a sale thinking it was a horror game, and I guess it is, but it's not very scary.

I'd tell you the plot, but I honestly have no fucking idea what happened. I know all the characters. I know what was happening, but not what any of it means. I even went to the wiki and read the plot breakdown there and apparently I missed a lot. OR, and this is more likely, the story isn't told very well at all. I dare anyone to play through it and have a fucking clue what's happening.

Game play reminds me a lot of Resident Evil. In fact, I'd be willing to bet it was influenced a ton by that franchise. Third person perspective, which sucks initially, but you get used to it. Although, close quarters fights in a game like this, with a view like this is stupid. The problem is the game is designed where boss fights are all close quarters.

The weapons are ok, nothing ground breaking. There's an RPG element where you can increase attributes and weapon damage based on finding ectoplasm or something like that. You are basically Egon searching for that shit.

I hated the fact that I needed a guide at times to help me out. Example: Nowhere does it say X is invincible until you reach this room...

Ammo is scarce on normal, so I can't imagine what it's like on harder difficulties.

It's ok, but not recommended. I'd be far more positive about it if I understood the story, but without a story, what's the point?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”