Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Released today and my kids lost their minds. My wife and I joined in as well. I got the farthest and feel after a few hours I can speak on the game.

There is no interaction with other people. They will appear in your game, but it's all random. Although, after becoming friends in game I did appear in my wife's game.

It's a lot like previous Animal Crossing games, but everything is simplified. Everything you do is tasks to bribe the animals to visit your camp. You do this by getting items to befriend the animals, and then eventually you can invite them. At that point they make demands about how they want your camp decorated. If it isn't decorated in such a way, they won't come. Building the furniture or buying it takes time, resources, and money.

I am assuming the farther you go, the more time, resources, etc. will be required to get these folks to come to your camp.

In the game's defense, they do seem to throw free stuff at you non-stop, but I'm betting that slows down too.

Not as interactive as previous AC games, meaning you can't leave notes in game for your spouse or kids to find later and your relationships with the animals aren't as varied. (My wife had one animal back in the day that talked smack about her.) It also doesn't have the charm of previous games in the franchise.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

So... it's Farmville for Animal Crossing? (I've never played any AC games)
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I've never played Farmville, so I don't know.

AC games are really cute and charming. Each animal had different personalities and they didn't all get along with you. Lots of things to do and collect. Time of day, date, etc. would all factor into what items you had a chance to find. I could talk about those games for a long time.

This one... It's free, so feel free to check it out, but it's missing a lot of those elements. Seems very setup to be a money grab. I'm hopeful they'll switch gears because the AC games were fun to play with the kids. It'd be nice if I could go into my kids' camps at night and leave them messages and vice versa.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I've never played Farmville, so I don't know.
Well, I haven't either, but it was such a big thing I knew what it was.
Leisher wrote: Seems very setup to be a money grab.
Yeah... pass.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Seems very setup to be a money grab.
Just FYI, I mean that as my initial impression. The game has not asked me for a dime yet. I just feel like I'm eventually going to hit a grind.

Although, I haven't wanted to play it once since I stopped playing with my family last night.