Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Finally got around to play through this one. A really fun FPS set in this alternate timeline where the Nazis won thanks to the occult and science. I honestly forget what in the first game led to the Nazis winning and getting all this cool tech, but you don't need to know that stuff. If you do want the total story, play the first and then this one back to back. You will have a metric fuckton of hours to play.

The story here is pretty wild. It is dark as shit, yet also has some humor. Again, dark...they really, really take BJ to a different place by the end. There's a moment that I guarantee you've never seen in a game before. And then there's that surreal cameo... I'm pretty sure no FPS character has this much backstory.

The weapons are all great. The game play is standard FPS. Graphics are good. Enemies are varied just enough. There are three contraptions in the game that will alter how you beat levels. (If you keep playing post ending, you'll get all three.) There's also two different weapons you can start the game off with, a laser that melts shit and a sticky grenade launcher. I went with the laser and it was good for hitting robots before they could get in range of me.

The original 3D Wolfenstein is here again. There's also a bunch of collectibles to find if you're keen to do so.

My biggest complaint would be that it lacks an epic feel. This story should feel over the top epic. What I mean is the world felt sparsely populated. Even the resistance cells were too few people. Did Rian Johnson have a hand in this? There is a level where you get to walk around Nazi America and it's awesome. More of that please. I want to see how Nazis altered the way of life here in America. I want to see dissidents and join the resistance, but it needs to feel important and epic in scale. I think Homefront did a much better job of this than W2:TNC.

Long story short: The story is interesting. The locations are fun. It's satisfying to kill Nazis.

FPS fans should not hesitate to play this one.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”