Evochron Mercenary

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Looked interesting. Sandbox game with player run servers. Or you can play with yourself.

Couple reviews I read are summed up as:

Good: Wide open, long learning curve but worth it, multiplayer.
Bad: Too big and hard to learn, multiplayer.

It's $12.50 on Steam right now.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Or you can play with yourself.
Like I need a game for that.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Finally had some time to fire it up. First impression: Nice. VERY in depth flight model. Good physics. There are systems to help the novice pilot, and you can turn off those systems for advanced flight. In other words, with the system on, it applies thrusters to make you fly in the direction you are pointing and at the speed you set. With the system off, you fly in the same direction until you manually apply thrusters to change directions. With this mode, you can be flying away from your enemy, flip your ship over so you are facing them, and open fire. Starbuck sytle. You can do the strafing runs along the side of a ship, etc. I use this mode when flying long distances. I can hit the throttle, keep hitting it and build up a bunch of speed. Turn the system off and then coast.

You have all kinds of power controls. More power to shields, more to weapons, take power from rear/side shields and sent it to front, etc.

Nav controls, I haven't figured them out entirely. Trading, mining, haven't done. I've done a couple of combat missions. I keep dying. I don't know how to dock back at the ship/base to get paid for the missions either.

So, just scraping the surface, I like this game for it's flight model. It's what I was expecting for being a space sim. My next move will be installing the joystick for proper control.

Pitch, Yaw, Roll are there. Up and down for VTO type action. Left and right for strafing. The up, down, left and right thrusters are small and used only for ship stabilization. For the best strafe, build up speed, turn off the IDS (don't remember what it stands for) and yaw left. Now you are strafing at a high speed. I have not used this yet during combat because most combat is dog fighting like X-Wing vs Tie Fighter.

Seems to be a good amount of ship customization available. Haven't made enough money to play with that though.

Cool game so far.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

like Starbuck?!?! as in Battlestar Galactica!!!! You have peeked my interest...
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Was really struggling with the game for a while. Only knew of 2 stations to work out of and the missions I was getting were VERY hard. All combat vs multiple enemies that would always focus fire me. It was fun, but I was making NO progress. Then I learned how to go to other systems. Found a new station that offered different missions. I took all the delivery missions. Some had hostiles, but I'd just blast through them and drop the cargo where it was needed. I was able to upgrade my weapons and other stuff on my ship. Grabbed a tractor beam to be able to take retrieval missions. I can take on up to two hostiles now. Actually moving forward in the game.

Flying and fighting is very fun. Having a cool joystick and throttle with tons of programmable buttons helps too. During combat, I reroute power from shields to weapons and back again a lot. I route power from rear to front shields, etc. I do a fair amount of 'Starbucking' to kill enemy incoming missiles.

Haven't gotten into building and deploying stuff yet. Haven't started customizing my hull/wings/etc yet.

Fun game. I like it.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

It's <$10 right now. $7.50 maybe? Don't remember. But definitely worth that price. Very in depth space sim. I've only scratched the surface so far. Haven't gotten into the multi play aspect at all. I can't even beat the AI yet.