Stellaris

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Troy

Stellaris

Post by Troy »

Big free patch out today with the expansion release. Will take it for a spin after work.
Stranger

Stellaris

Post by Stranger »

# Sector Redesign and Automation

* Sectors have been greatly improved in 2.3, allowing the player more control over how and where they are formed, as well as giving more robust automation tools to let them run themselves if you want to focus on the bigger picture.

# Planet Designation

* You can now choose to manually set a planet designation (Agri-World, Forge World, etc), focusing production on different resource outputs. There is now a shared automated development stockpile that you can pay in to and allow planets to set their own build orders.
I like these features!
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Stellaris

Post by Leisher »

So...is there a better "how to play" guide that you'd recommend over the piss poor tutorial?

My latest chancellor wanted to mine stuff and just in my own system there are mining stations that don't appear to be near anything, but I can't move them? How can I tell when something is in orbit or "assigned" to a celestial body? There are planets here that have the reward icons indicating they can be mined or researched, but what the fuck are the mining and research stations in my system doing floating in the middle of nowhere?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Stellaris

Post by Troy »

If the resource is untapped the number next to it will be white. if the number is yellow, it's being harvested. Goes for mining and research objects. Take a constructor ship, right click on the resource and build a station. You do have to own the system first.

You could also increase mining by building a few more mining districts on a planet.

I used a quick "beginner's guide" on youtube when I started. Other knowledge gained by reading the pop ups and trial and error.
Leisher
Site Admin

Stellaris

Post by Leisher »

Call me crazy, but if you customer has to go to YouTube to figure out how to use your product, you've failed.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Stellaris

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Call me crazy, but if you customer has to go to YouTube to figure out how to use your product, you've failed.
I'm torn here. I mean, I do try my best to figure out games on my own (I like the discovery part), but once I get past that, I use online guides/etc to maximize my game knowledge.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Troy

Stellaris

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote:Call me crazy, but if you customer has to go to YouTube to figure out how to use your product, you've failed.
Learning the game was very intuitive for me. If you hover over most things long enough a tool tip comes up with info. Plus it’s basically a combo of Gal Civ and Sins, two games I’m pretty familiar with. I just tried stuff and it usually worked.

It may not be for everyone - If you don’t like it don’t force it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Stellaris

Post by Leisher »

My genres of choice are typically FPS and RPG, but I play almost everywhere...except 4X. So this is new to me. I expect my learning curve to be higher. I know I'll enjoy it once I get going, but right now it's a chore.
GORDON
Site Admin

Stellaris

Post by GORDON »

Initially, I couldn't figure out how to use the construction ship. Didn't even know where to.find it, because it's tiny.

Tool tips <> tutorial. Stellaris has no tutorial.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Stellaris

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Initially, I couldn't figure out how to use the construction ship. Didn't even know where to.find it, because it's tiny.

Tool tips <> tutorial. Stellaris has no tutorial.
It's like a game within a game
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Stellaris

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Stellaris has no tutorial.
It does. It just really sucks.

Launch the default game and you'll be given different options on how much help you want. Full tutorial is an option.

The very first task is having you launch a science ship to survey a new system. Once you do that, you sit around while that takes place. No other instructions coming in while time is flying by. Once done, it wants you to build a starbase in the new system. Meanwhile, you're not told how to manage the planets you already own or do any other tasks.