Stellaris

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Stranger

Stellaris

Post by Stranger »

GORDON wrote: Denied. I played 5 hours, the max they will.allow is 2.

So.fuck.them , I guess.
Boo Steam!! I'm going to Epic
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Stellaris

Post by Leisher »

Stranger wrote:
GORDON wrote: Denied. I played 5 hours, the max they will.allow is 2.

So.fuck.them , I guess.
Boo Steam!! I'm going to Epic
I know you were kidding, but it's the same there.

Ok, just looked at the Stellaris stuff on sale, and I have an important question:

What the fuck do I buy? There seem to be different levels of the base game and a billion expansions.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Stellaris

Post by Troy »

Just get the base game if you want to play and try it out. If the host in multi has DLC, you can use it.
Troy

Stellaris

Post by Troy »

Had to work late tonight but will host a game if anyone wants to play.

us vs whatever evil space empires ya'll want.
Troy

Stellaris

Post by Troy »

Mordigan the AI version of you built a huge fleet and totally killed Cakedaddy 20 years after you left. Welp.
Stranger

Stellaris

Post by Stranger »

Troy wrote: Mordigan the AI version of you built a huge fleet and totally killed Cakedaddy 20 years after you left. Welp.
There’s no way, I completely gutted them before I left. Although i did tech them to be a military power so if you guys left them alone for too long then maybe I could see this.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Stranger

Stellaris

Post by Stranger »

I feel like I’ve got the early game down pretty good when it’s all exploring, gathering resources and expanding your borders. But when mid game rolls around and fights start to happen and things seem to go much quicker I completely brain fart.

I still need to get better at planet management as that is just confusing as hell to me, the old system was much easier. And there are a lot of things going on that I have no clue how to handle them. I just need to play some solo games to get used to those things
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Cakedaddy

Stellaris

Post by Cakedaddy »

I'll second, what expansions are worth buying?
Troy

Stellaris

Post by Troy »

Cakedaddy wrote: I'll second, what expansions are worth buying?
Utopia and Apocalypse are the best DLC content wise in my opinion. They both add end game content that is needed. Building a Dyson Sphere or a Death Star are good examples of stuff they add, respectively.

Synthetic Dawn turns on the special robots(Mordigan's and more benign versions), Leviathans adds giant PvE monsters and entities. Neither are needed but are fun.

Everything else is further down the list or I haven't tried it yet.
Leisher
Site Admin

Stellaris

Post by Leisher »

I purchased the Starter Pack, which has Utopia and Apocalypse.

I might grab a few of the other packs for giggles while they're on sale.

I'll start learning the game tomorrow night. Tonight it's a Statistics project! Anyone want to multi that?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Stellaris

Post by TheCatt »

Man, I do love statistics....
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Stellaris

Post by Leisher »

Got burnt out on stats and did some Stellaris.

The tutorials kind of suck.

I have no idea what I'm doing. Can I use the ship designer to make them look like short buses?
Troy

Stellaris

Post by Troy »

Saved a multi game I was having fun in and rode it out in singleplayer to see my first "Endgame Crisis"

My first one was "The Scourge" basically a Tyranid hive fleet moves in from the Galaxy edge. They have 600k+ of fleet and are just wrecking everyone ~20% galaxy already conquered by the scourge.

I'm teching and militarizing hard but only have a few years left until they make it to the center of the galaxy and me. Maybe 150k in friendly fleet. Hoping the Titans and Battlestars can hold them off.
GORDON
Site Admin

Stellaris

Post by GORDON »

Put in Adama as fleet admiral.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Stranger

Stellaris

Post by Stranger »

bought Utopia and Apocalypse DLC yesterday and played some solo just to get used to this again. I must say, i enjoy the game soooo much more at a slower pace. I can plan out things a little better, read the popups from anomalies and talks with other civilizations, make strategic decisions about what i want to do next and play to my species strengths.

While i enjoy and can certainly get when your playing PvP online that you've got to speed it up to get a session done in a timely manner, but to me it feels so much more like an RTS than a grand strategy game. If i wanted to just build an army and go smash into whoever is next to me i'd rather play Starcraft. I feel like this game has so much more to offer.

Like yesterday i had some anomaly on a planet that i just inhabited that had some ancient factory on it, when i would investigate it i'd lose a pop and this happened 3 times. Now people are starting to get pissed and just want to leave it be, but i have a feeling that i might be able to get it up and running and maybe be a big boon to that planet. Something like this may have happened in my other games but i was just clicking whatever to get it off my screen because i needed to build more destroyers to fight off an invader.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Stellaris

Post by Leisher »

Stranger wrote: While i enjoy and can certainly get when your playing PvP online that you've got to speed it up to get a session done in a timely manner, but to me it feels so much more like an RTS than a grand strategy game. If i wanted to just build an army and go smash into whoever is next to me i'd rather play Starcraft. I feel like this game has so much more to offer.
I agree with this statement.

If we want fast paced action, let's load up Total Annihilation or Supreme Commander. I consider games like Stellaris to be super deep, and thus, requirement far more than a single session if you're playing them properly.
Troy

Stellaris

Post by Troy »

I think you can play it either way. Doing singleplayer and being a "pause every 30 seconds" kind of guy is a totally fine play-through. Sounds like this stlye may be really beneficial to learn the game as well.

A 20 person FFA on Fast is also a totally fine play-through. After doing the first way for a few weeks, I get really lonely in a galaxy full of AI's and I want other players.

I highly disagree there is any "right" way to play this game.

For my money, spending an extra 15 minutes on pause eking out those few extra alloys with a perfect build may be fun for certain people, but it's also kind of irrelevant if the Cylon fleet is raining hell down on your borders. Everyone finds their fun.
Troy

Stellaris

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Put in Adama as fleet admiral.

Researched Psionic Jump Drives (?) which let my fleets ignore hyper lanes and converge on the bad guys as they hit my chokepoints. Some bloody fights, but nothing has punched through yet. Also my species all have telepathy now which makes them better pilots apparently.

Titan sniping

Lasers at close range
Last edited by Troy on Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stranger

Stellaris

Post by Stranger »

my problem is that i can't process all of that shit, that fast, all at the same time. It makes those who can click and make decisions faster the advantage. Whereas if its a little slower can prepare and have my army set up in a better fashion to be ready for that oncoming onslaught.

Thats just me though, RTS games always get to a point where the faster thinking micro-manger wins, and i'm not very good at that. Probably from smoking waaaaay to many joints over the years.. :oops:

For someone that can play that fast then kudos to them, i can certainly understand why they wouldn't wanna play slower and just waste a bunch of time. But for me its not about trying to eek out some extra supplies, but being able to address the situation at hand without everything else in my empire going to complete shit because i can only concentrate this enemy on my borders.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Stellaris

Post by Leisher »

Stranger wrote: my problem is that i can't process all of that shit, that fast, all at the same time. It makes those who can click and make decisions faster the advantage. Whereas if its a little slower can prepare and have my army set up in a better fashion to be ready for that oncoming onslaught.

Thats just me though, RTS games always get to a point where the faster thinking micro-manger wins, and i'm not very good at that. Probably from smoking waaaaay to many joints over the years.. :oops:

For someone that can play that fast then kudos to them, i can certainly understand why they wouldn't wanna play slower and just waste a bunch of time. But for me its not about trying to eek out some extra supplies, but being able to address the situation at hand without everything else in my empire going to complete shit because i can only concentrate this enemy on my borders.
Again, this.

RTSs allow some ability to accept the scenarios as plausible and allow for faster game play. You have one goal: Crush your enemies. Nanobots and whatnot help that happen fast.

In Civ-type games and 4X games if you're going so fast that days, weeks, months, etc. go by in the blink of an eye, that's not realistically telling you who the best strategist, politician, etc. is, just who the fastest clicker is...

That's not blasting anyone's play style at all. I was never at the top of the mountain in micromanaging skills in our group, but I was when it came to tactics. (I would have been a fantastic guerrilla leader. :D ) However, in the RTSs I still had a lot of fun. I think my number of wins in Supreme Commander was ZERO, yet I had a ball because I knew what was happening, put up something of a fight, and was always trying to innovate new strategies.

Just saying that in a 4X that's not going to be as true. Particularly, for newer folks who don't have a clue what's going on. I think the more folks play, the faster they'll be able to go, but once you start making options for victory other than military domination irrelevant, then you've broken the game.