Stellaris

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Troy

Stellaris

Post by Troy »

Some kind of advanced, but dormant empire between Stranger and I. i bet they will be mad if I push my fleets in.
Troy

Stellaris

Post by Troy »

Gave up trying to get through directly. Researched the wormholes I had found and one ended up near him. Brought a fleet in and helped Stranger turn the tide. He ended up conquering and absorbing his neighbor!
Leisher
Site Admin

Stellaris

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Sorry that no one will ever multi it, now. That's what happens when I get a game.
And...I'm out.
Troy wrote: appears to be 10 bucks on the humblebundle
And...I'm interested again.
GORDON wrote: Damn, I spent 70 on steam w/3 expansion packs
Return it.

What is the learning curve here? Is this game a new job? For $10 I probably wouldn't mind being cannon fodder for you guys, but it'd be nice to be somewhat competitive.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Stellaris

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote:
GORDON wrote: Sorry that no one will ever multi it, now. That's what happens when I get a game.
And...I'm out.
Troy wrote: appears to be 10 bucks on the humblebundle
And...I'm interested again.
GORDON wrote: Damn, I spent 70 on steam w/3 expansion packs
Return it.

What is the learning curve here? Is this game a new job? For $10 I probably wouldn't mind being cannon fodder for you guys, but it'd be nice to be somewhat competitive.
A lot of the controls are intuitive if you've played 4x space games before. Sins of a Solar empire for example. It wouldn't take long to get up to speed if you like the genre.

Did a 4 hour 10 player FFA today. Was a fucking blast.

I played my research/manufacturing corporation. I ended up on the edge of the map and my immediate neighbor was a robot which was disconcerting. Luckily we messaged and agreed to use each other as backstops and expand out from there. Not something I would do in a game like Rust, but I have yet to be burned making similar pacts in Stellaris.

Our side of the galaxy was pretty chill and we didn't have any immediate conflicts for the first 30 or so years. There were wars being declared, but never anyone near me. I didn't find any great planets early on, but took a lot of good asteroid and mining systems. NPCs hostiles seemed to be guarding every habitable planet and I was glad I was sheltered from the fighting.

Maybe 50 years in the neighbors ( Me, the Robot, and some Bird People ) got together and discussed that on the other side of the galaxy an aggressive player was using Mars humans to crush everyone and snowball a big fleet towards us. We decided to put our fleets together on the border, redirect some resources to the neighbor on the front lines, and did our best to hold the other side off. I ended up behind the lines, so I spent my relative freedom researching and building a small battleship fleet. The early fights were slaughterhouses, but we ended up turning the tide and raiding into Mars's vassals. I called it after the combined fleets invaded the enemies home system with my battleship fleet tackling its big station. Fuuuun.
Leisher
Site Admin

Stellaris

Post by Leisher »

I, uh, fell asleep and missed the Humble Bundle sale.

As soon as it goes on sale on Steam, holla.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Stellaris

Post by Cakedaddy »

How do you bombard?

How do you land troops?

I am superior and they are all inferior, but because I don't know how to do those things, my wars always end with me getting kicked off of everything I've captured and someone else claiming them.
GORDON
Site Admin

Stellaris

Post by GORDON »

I expanded super fast and now I can't keep up with consumer goods and power plants. I need to.figure out how to do trade or something.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Stranger

Stellaris

Post by Stranger »

i last played this game well over a year ago and it took me a lot of getting used to, it was like a completely new game from the last time i played it. First Troy had all of the DLC's that i never played before and the planet management system was totally revamped. I had a hard time getting used to that part of the game and my new planets weren't growing for shit.
Cakedaddy wrote: How do you bombard?

How do you land troops?
I'm not sure you need to specifically order your units to bombard a planet?? because it seemed like anytime i got my ships into that system it seemed like the AI took over and they would just attack anything and everything until finished.

I do remember that you do have to build some land armies on one of your planets and then send those off to systems that your taking over..? or something like that.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Troy

Stellaris

Post by Troy »

Cakedaddy wrote: How do you bombard?

How do you land troops?

I am superior and they are all inferior, but because I don't know how to do those things, my wars always end with me getting kicked off of everything I've captured and someone else claiming them.
Select the ship right click the planet and they’ll bomb it. You can set the type of bombing too on the fleet. Raise armies on friendly planets, capture the enemy systems star base, and then land troops on the enemy planet.
Troy

Stellaris

Post by Troy »

I wasn't happy with the availability of online games, so I hosted a FFA last night.

Turns out when you add AI players to your hosted game, Stellaris prefers to use races you've created yourself as AI opponents.

I've made, but never used, a ravenous Hive Mind species. Venus Fly Trap looking race, can use total war, eats people, bad dudes. Not much fun to play as because they are so antisocial, but a good opponent in single player.

I got to watch from the other side of the map as my custom race ATE A PLAYER EMPIRE. I was so proud. But then the player next door steam rolled me with robots and I wasn't happy anymore.
Cakedaddy

Stellaris

Post by Cakedaddy »

When I right clicked the planet, they would just fly to it. Didn't attack or anything. When they entered the system, they would bee line to the station and take it out. But never do anything with the planet. I only had corvettes, cruisers, and destroyers. Am I missing a ship? The planet always showed some other race occupying it. Not the race I was attacking.

I'll have to figure out the ground troop thing.

The game is VERY lacking in explanations. There is no tutorial that I could see. Only a bunch of tool tips.

How do you make teams? Seemed everyone one else was able to ally up. I only got the options to offer them independence (protection), but then, they would have their borders closed to me, so I couldn't help them. Game ended when everyone ganged up on me.

It's a fun game. Just frustrating trying to figure shit out. I do NOT like "ok, war is over, get off the 12 planets you own. You can have two and the neighboring race gets 6".
GORDON
Site Admin

Stellaris

Post by GORDON »

Agree with lack of tutorial. If only hadn't started a voice game with Troy after an hour, I would have quit in frustration.
Troy

Stellaris

Post by Troy »

Yeah a session together might help. Don’t read much online unless it’s v 2.2 specific either. The game has been overhauled from the early days. At one point it was described as “not much happening”, now with all DLC on it can be overwhelming with events popping up everywhere.

One tip, claiming systems cost twice as much influence during a war. So make your claims, then declare.
Troy

Stellaris

Post by Troy »

Another DLC releases June 4th. Supposed to have an "Indiana Jones in Space" vibe. Some mild changes to multiplayer that were needed. Robots still probably OP with the new habitability negatives, since they are 100% habitability everywhere and can ignore it. Added a good nerf to the Coruscant-like city planets, making them cost rare resources to upkeep.

Also, looks like the game and all the DLC are back to 75% off on steam until next Friday.
Last edited by Troy on Thu May 30, 2019 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stranger

Stellaris

Post by Stranger »

What DLC do you own Troy? It looks like utopia, apocalypse and megacorp are the three major ones.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
GORDON
Site Admin

Stellaris

Post by GORDON »

Troy wrote: Another DLC released today. Supposed to have an "Indiana Jones in Space" vibe. Some mild changes to multiplayer that were needed. Robots still probably OP with the new habitability negatives, since they are 100% habitability everywhere and can ignore it. Added a good nerf to the Coruscant-like city planets, making them cost rare resources to upkeep.

Also, looks like the game and all the DLC are back to 75% off on steam until next Friday.
Am I able to.sell the game back, and buy it again on sale? Never refunded with steam
Troy

Stellaris

Post by Troy »

Stranger wrote: What DLC do you own Troy? It looks like utopia, apocalypse and megacorp are the three major ones.
All of em. Utopia and Apoc are the best two as far as added content, IMO.

I haven’t messed much with the megacorp DLC. I did make a Hutt race based on the criminal underworld background because I’m a nerd though.

E: actually new DLC comes out June 4. Sale still going on.
Leisher
Site Admin

Stellaris

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote:
Troy wrote: Another DLC released today. Supposed to have an "Indiana Jones in Space" vibe. Some mild changes to multiplayer that were needed. Robots still probably OP with the new habitability negatives, since they are 100% habitability everywhere and can ignore it. Added a good nerf to the Coruscant-like city planets, making them cost rare resources to upkeep.

Am I able to.sell the game back, and buy it again on sale? Never refunded with steam
I think so. Return it, see what gets credited, then buy it again.
Troy wrote: Also, looks like the game and all the DLC are back to 75% off on steam until next Friday.
K, I'll buy it, but I'm going to play it at least once before embarrassing myself in multi.
GORDON
Site Admin

Stellaris

Post by GORDON »

"Returned" it, but it looks like a help desk ticket, and I guess they'll let me know.

"It is now cheaper" was one of the refund selections. We'll see.
GORDON
Site Admin

Stellaris

Post by GORDON »

Denied. I played 5 hours, the max they will.allow is 2.

So.fuck.them , I guess.