Left 4 Dead

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Gordon and I just played through Dead Air.

The difficulty level is ramped up for multiplay.

We did pretty well, although Gordo not having played that campaign before was a slight obstacle as he didn't know the flow of the levels or things like avoiding the metal detector in the airport.

As for the SDK being released, how long before we see classic zombie movie sets made into levels?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote:As for the SDK being released, how long before we see classic zombie movie sets made into levels?
ESCAPE TO THE WINCHESTER.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

It's on sale on Steam right now for $15. You can also get a 4 pack for $45.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I didn't fall in love with Left 4 Dead. I fell in respect for it, but not love.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Watching a couple accomplished four-man teams duke it out in L4D requires considerable small scale teamwork.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I fell in love with it. Of course, I'm biased towards zombies.

And yes, the higher difficulties are brutal.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

It's the sort of shit were you could run some insanely synchronized tactics if you had four dudes sitting in a circle, one system/TV per head, shouting out plans in the same room.

It's the 360 version of Gauntlet for me, as far as 4-player games go.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

There's a new and free map (maybe full campaign?) out.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

The peeps complaining about L4D 2 got to them, eh?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

If it's a map, I'll say "yes".

If it's a campaign, "no".
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I hope Valve doesn't get bitter because their customers got accustomed to all the free stuff after purchase.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote:I hope Valve doesn't get bitter because their customers got accustomed to all the free stuff after purchase.
Let's not go crazy.

Folks are pissed that L4D was supposed to have free content earlier on, and yes, Valve did promise it. However, they saw an opportunity to expand upon the franchise, and yes, make some money.

What an evil corporation!!! Maybe we should write Obama and have him punish them for trying to make money?

Seriously, this is the first such move they've ever made. I've got no problem with it, especially considering just how much they have given away for free for years. Even more so when you consider the buyout offers they've rejected (EA, etc.), which would have fucked everyone in the long run (You know how well know EA is for giving stuff away for free...). They need to stay profitable or they go away. If that means not everything is free, well duh. And those who think everything should be free are morons.

P.S. The new DLC is indeed a campaign.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I'm in the camp of "Valve has been good to us, shut up and let them make some money."
Troy

Post by Troy »

Left for Dead 2 demo was in my uninstalled on steam yesterday, I installed it and then played it while waiting for Dragon Age to finish.

It was pretty fun. I didn't even realize what I was clicking and suddenly I was in the game with 3 of human players and then... the Zombies started coming. Didn't really stop after that. Wild and bloody, but pretty fun. I had trouble telling which were the special Zombies, except that huge guy that smashes into walls and stuff.

Pretty fun, might have to try it next month.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Left 4 Dead and Dead Rising are the best zombie based games ever. End of story.

I look forward to both of their sequels.
Troy

Post by Troy »

If anyone is interested in doing the 4 pack of left for dead 2 when it comes out, I'm game.

I think its like 30 a piece for 4.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I was playing the demo last night. Both solo and online. It was kind of weak. Granted, it's a demo, so content may be limited. But, once you knew the path to the end and where the monsters spawned, it was easy. Played on the harder levels too. For those that have played the game (or the old one), what's the draw? I seems like it would become repetative.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

But, once you knew the path to the end and where the monsters spawned, it was easy.

Yeah, the levels stay the same, but everything else about that statement is incorrect.

Not because of your perceptions Cake, but because they obviously stripped the demo version of some things.

What makes the game replayable, besides the fact that you're fighting zombies, is the fact that everything changes every time you play. All the ammo and guns change places, as do where the zombies spawn.

And trust me, the higher difficulty levels are a heart pounding nightmare.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Still in for anyone that wants to buy the 4 pack.

Also, it was released today.

Edited By Troy on 1258510292
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I'll go in for the 4 pack.

2 more folks?