Tortilla Chips

Recipes, restaurants, food you should try, food you should avoid, etc.
Leisher
Site Admin

Tortilla Chips

Post by Leisher »

I'm a huge fan of salsa, so I've had lots.

The ones I'm currently addicted to are Late July Organic Sea Salt & Lime. They're thinner than other tortilla chips, but not crazy thin. The lighter chips allow the salsa to be the star rather than some of the thick, nasty tortilla chips out there. (Thick is good for taters, not tortilla.)

I might be onto something with these because I discovered them at Kroger and started telling people. Now whenever I go there they're almost always sold out of them. Granted, they're organic so they don't order as many, but when I was first getting them the shelves were always full.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Tortilla Chips

Post by GORDON »

I'm a fan of normal Tostitos, it's my favorite taco meat deliver system, salad-style.

My little joke is, "My body can't digest round corn chips." That line may end up in a book, someday.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Cakedaddy

Tortilla Chips

Post by Cakedaddy »

Best one's I've had are from the Honey Bee Market in Mexican town. Very good. Made by real Mexicans.
Leisher
Site Admin

Tortilla Chips

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: I'm a fan of normal Tostitos
I used to love their Hint of Lime ones, but then I discovered Late July. They're better.
Cakedaddy wrote: Made by real Mexicans.
This made me laugh. It sounds racist, but isn't.

There are a couple of "authentic" Mexican restaurants around here that fry their chips in large batches. It's gross as fuck. The chips all stick together and some are underdone. Hate that shit.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Tortilla Chips

Post by Cakedaddy »

I always thought Mexican Town was too.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Tortilla Chips

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: They're thinner than other tortilla chips, but not crazy thin. The lighter chips allow the salsa to be the star rather than some of the thick, nasty tortilla chips out there. (Thick is good for taters, not tortilla.)
I'm going to agree. But it also depends on what I'm eating. For salsa, I want thinner ones, for Chili, thicker works.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Tortilla Chips

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: for Chili, thicker works.
Dipping into chili or crushing to be sprinkled on top of chili?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Tortilla Chips

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: for Chili, thicker works.
Dipping into chili or crushing to be sprinkled on top of chili?
I wouldn't call it dipping. I'd call it shoveling.... loading up the chips with chili.
Leisher
Site Admin

Tortilla Chips

Post by Leisher »

Yeah, you'd need the thick ones for that.

I'd prefer the lighter ones for crumbling into chili though.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Tortilla Chips

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Yeah, you'd need the thick ones for that.

I'd prefer the lighter ones for crumbling into chili though.
Many years ago I crumbled fritos into chili. It was surprisingly delicious.