Air Fryer

Recipes, restaurants, food you should try, food you should avoid, etc.
Leisher
Site Admin

Air Fryer

Post by Leisher »

Anyone have one or use one?

There's an infomercial one out there, but I know there are genuinely good ones as well. (I've seen Gordon Ramsay selling the Phillips one and he's pretty anal.)

My wife has interest in one, and from the light research I've done, I've heard mostly positive things. (Don't look at the Buzzfeed article on them...They, literally, seemed to have someone who doesn't know how to cook write it.)

Still, I want to know if it's worth it or if it'll just collect dust in a cabinet.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Air Fryer

Post by TheCatt »

Don't have one.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Air Fryer

Post by GORDON »

Not sure what the difference would be between it and a convection oven if it doesn't use oil... Fried.food is tasty because the oil permeates.the food
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Air Fryer

Post by Leisher »

It IS basically a convection oven, but faster and using less energy?

Dumping the oil is obviously the whole gimmick, IE: Healthy.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Air Fryer

Post by GORDON »

But I would think the defining characteristic of "frying" is oil. I think that entire product is a scam.
Malcolm

Air Fryer

Post by Malcolm »

Air fryers still use oil, just a shitload less.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Air Fryer

Post by GORDON »

Well that's new information.
Malcolm

Air Fryer

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote: Well that's new information.
Goddamnit. Has no one ever used these or seen them used before? You lightly coat or brush wtf-ever it is you're frying in the oil. The air fryer then uses some type of heating element to blast the air around the fryable to somewhere in the appropriate range.
Leisher wrote: I've seen Gordon Ramsay selling the Phillips one and he's pretty anal.
I bet he'd endorse the re-release of Zima if someone gave him enough cash.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Air Fryer

Post by Leisher »

Malcolm wrote: Goddamnit. Has no one ever used these or seen them used before? You lightly coat or brush wtf-ever it is you're frying in the oil. The air fryer then uses some type of heating element to blast the air around the fryable to somewhere in the appropriate range.
I've seen them and read reviews. Folks have used used, others have not.
Malcolm wrote: I bet he'd endorse the re-release of Zima if someone gave him enough cash.
To a point, yes. However, the guy is pretty serious about his reputation in cooking. Ask Guy Fierri, Cat Cora, or that redheaded cunt from Iron Chef America what happens when you lie to foodies.