Home made meatballs and marinera

Recipes, restaurants, food you should try, food you should avoid, etc.
Leisher
Site Admin

Re: Home made meatballs and marinera

Post by Leisher »

Alhazad wrote:
Leisher wrote:It is convenient, but damn is it flavorless. Nothing is like fresh garlic.
Alton Brown suggested that it's flavorless because people mostly fail to rehydrate it properly before adding it to recipes. He also suggested HBI (high bulk index) garlic powder on his show because the processing method gives the granules much more surface area and thus more permeating power, but apparently it's getting harder to find.
Alton is the shit. I'm sure he's 100% correct about rehydrating it, but I'll be damned if I've ever seen a spice bottle with those directions on it. Kind of eliminates the convenience aspect doesn't it? Fresh is always better.

That's interesting about the HBI powder though. I'll have to give that a try just to see the flavor difference.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”