Recipe thread -- brag about your cooking here.

Recipes, restaurants, food you should try, food you should avoid, etc.
Alhazad

Post by Alhazad »

A thread for meals you've made or had that aren't your favorite, but that you enjoyed or are proud of.

I found ground pork on sale and made this recently: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/12897/white-chili-i/. I cut the beans in half and added extra pork (the package was a pound and a fifth).

It's really savory, even using low-sodium broth and before melting in the cheese. I would recommend it if you have pre-ground pork and don't know what to do with it.
We're Back: A Dinosaur's Story
GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Recipe thread -- brag about your cooking here.

Post by GORDON »

I've made 3 big batches of a Max and Erma's copycat of their cheese soup, and every time it's gotten rave reviews.

http://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-tort ... cat-149038

Thing is, I've been using chilies from last year's garden, chopped up... WITH SEEDS... 2 ounces instead of the 4.5 ounces this recipe calls for. My soup is spicy as hell, way spicier than is probably intended.

That amount of ingredients will easily feed 6-8 people at a meal.

edit - Also, I grill the chicken instead of however that recipe calls for. You can basically grill it at any time during the soup process and just add it near the end. I think it adds a slightly better taste than the pan frying the recipe calls for.

I also omit the cilantro. Fuck cilantro, the devil's weed. I also never saw the point of the vegetable oil, unless that was for frying the chicken breasts.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Alhazad wrote: I would recommend it if you have pre-ground pork and don't know what to do with it.
Now and then I buy a pound of ground pork and freeze it in .5 pound portions.

I make meatballs out of it. Mix the .5 lb pork with 1 lb ground beef, an egg or two, some Italian bread crumbs, a little garlic powder, a little dry, chopped onion, roll them into little balls, in the oven for about an hour at 350. Smother them with marinara that you made yourself from tomatoes from your garden.
Alhazad

Post by Alhazad »

GORDON wrote:
Alhazad wrote: I would recommend it if you have pre-ground pork and don't know what to do with it.
Now and then I buy a pound of ground pork and freeze it in .5 pound portions.

I make meatballs out of it. Mix the .5 lb pork with 1 lb ground beef, an egg or two, some Italian bread crumbs, a little garlic powder, a little dry, chopped onion, roll them into little balls, in the oven for about an hour at 350. Smother them with marinara that you made yourself from tomatoes from your garden.
I do the same with ground italian sausage and add parmesan cheese. Can confirm; great recipe.
Alhazad

Post by Alhazad »

The Taco Bell thread got me thinking about homemade Mexican dishes.

Anyone ever try mixing ranch dressing with Sriracha chili sauce? I ordinarily abhor ranch, but when mixed 3-4 parts dressing to 1 part Sriracha, it makes a fantastic sauce to mix in with the taco meat+beans+whatever you like in your Mexican. No more than 1/2 cup sauce per 1 pound of meat mix, I'd say.

I used it with a taco salad a week ago and in some taquitos yesterday and it was very good.
Last edited by Alhazad on Mon May 16, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I typically drown my shit in hot taco sauce... I will try that mixture. I already have the ingredients.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: I've made 3 big batches of a Max and Erma's copycat of their cheese soup, and every time it's gotten rave reviews.

http://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-tort ... cat-149038

Thing is, I've been using chilies from last year's garden, chopped up... WITH SEEDS... 2 ounces instead of the 4.5 ounces this recipe calls for. My soup is spicy as hell, way spicier than is probably intended.

That amount of ingredients will easily feed 6-8 people at a meal.

edit - Also, I grill the chicken instead of however that recipe calls for. You can basically grill it at any time during the soup process and just add it near the end. I think it adds a slightly better taste than the pan frying the recipe calls for.

I also omit the cilantro. Fuck cilantro, the devil's weed. I also never saw the point of the vegetable oil, unless that was for frying the chicken breasts.
How is that a copycat of Max and Erma's tortilla soup? Not saying it isn't delicious, but I looked at the recipe and chicken? Their soup doesn't have chicken. I'll have to try it out.

In salsa news, I have made this one a few times for the family. They love it. VERY mild. Made a batch or two for me and upped the jalapeno count to 6-8. Still mild, but closer to medium. Going to make a family mild batch for my oldest to take to school for a "salsa competition" tomorrow.

I want something better though. Anyone have any exceptional salsa recipes?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

The copycat is amazeballs. And.... I am pretty sure M&E's has chicken. If you've never gotten any, you've been unlucky in the soup ladel. Now tell me about how you know thousands of people who have ordered tens of thousands of bowls of the soup and have never gotten chicken.

Then I will say damn, you know a lot of unlucky people.

My own twist on that soup is that I grill the chicken. Gives it a little something special. But now I see I already said that.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I order that soup every time I go, and for some reason it has never occurred to me that it has chicken in it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”