"Minimum Income" for all....

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I am not orange, your argument is invalid.
Just saying your statement argues his uninformed opinions on the matter. There are LOTS of unemployment statistics encompassing a wide variety of situations, including under employment and workforce engagement. I think the numbers that tell the story are already there, you just have to know where to get them. Although, honestly, they've been covered more in the past year than I've ever seen, thanks to Trump's ignorance.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

"Silicon Valley tech leaders" think we're going to need a Universal Basic Income.

http://www.siliconvalley.com/2017/05/22 ... o-nothing/
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

You're putting stock in Cali hippies now?
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

This google guy says it'll happen by the 2030s.

https://hackernoon.com/googles-chief-fu ... f5b9ef41aa
Vince

Post by Vince »

I don't know if this will work or not. Can't wrap my head around the idea of a few people creating enough wealth to sustain everyone. But I completely understand why silicone valley is pushing the idea of a minimum income. They are driving the technology that is going to be putting everyone out of work. They'd like to avoid Nuremberg style trials.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Back of the napkin math earlier in the thread suggested that just replacing SS and welfare systems almost paid a livable minimum income for everyone.

I don't know. It wouldn't fix stupid, but it would probably be a net good, overall. I don't see how the costs of goods and services doesn't go away up, though, the same way college did when student loans provided infinite money to the consumers.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Back of the napkin math earlier in the thread suggested that just replacing SS and welfare systems almost paid a livable minimum income for everyone.
This is the goal.

But having a universal income doesnt mean people dont work.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Alhazad

Post by Alhazad »

Vince wrote: I don't know if this will work or not. Can't wrap my head around the idea of a few people creating enough wealth to sustain everyone. But I completely understand why silicone valley is pushing the idea of a minimum income. They are driving the technology that is going to be putting everyone out of work. They'd like to avoid Nuremberg style trials.
'Wealth' isn't what sustains people, food and housing is. We already produce more than enough of both, except right now we destroy the unsold and the cosmetic defects, and let empty houses sit idle.

This is just a question of logistics.
We're Back: A Dinosaur's Story
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”