The College Thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Plan on sending your son to college?

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I'm not sure if I'd use the word "classy," but I would applaud her for owning her bullshit.
Right? Probably because she's white.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

That was oddly racist.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: That was oddly racist.
Blame the prosecutor, not me.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

"Class act" is typically code for black people.

Don't you watch The League?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: "Class act" is typically code for black people.

Don't you watch The League?
Nope/
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Sparkplug is code for Hispanic.

Gym rat is code for white people.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Lawsuit says Navient was fucking students.

No, but seriously, how is the current college model good for the U.S.? We're putting kids with zero experience into massive debt before they ever find a job. We're doing so while letting them major in bullshit degrees that appeal to exactly zero employers.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Lawsuit says Navient was fucking students.

No, but seriously, how is the current college model good for the U.S.? We're putting kids with zero experience into massive debt before they ever find a job. We're doing so while letting them major in bullshit degrees that appeal to exactly zero employers.
It's good because if you can afford not to get loans, you're set for life with a massive advantage over the poors.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

That word "fair" is in there again.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Huffman is out of jail.

I believe she has some community service to do, but this is all behind her now.

Lori Laughlin's nightmare is still ahead of her because she thought she was above the law.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Loughlin maintains not guilty plea.

I wonder if I can place a bet on her going to jail?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

After kid's seath SDSt basically suspends all frats.

It's really interesting to watch the fight against hazing (doesn't seem like the case here) and over consumption.

These are kids and kids are gonna be kids. They're going to make stupid choices. Not sure if you've talked to a teenager lately, but they have all the answers and know better than anyone else. Oh, and they're invincible. They also are active members in the world's largest competition to stand out, in a good way, in every social setting. Unfortunately, they have no idea what "good" means because they don't know shit about shit. They only know excessive drinking is cool, doing dangerous things is how you impress a woman, putting others down makes you look better, and other equally stupid things.

Stories like this are always sad, but it's amazing it doesn't happen more often.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

"Mental toughness" is a thing stressed in Marine bootcamp. Can't help but think kids aren't learning that any more, then they leave the safe cocoon of home and enter the world unprepared.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: "Mental toughness" is a thing stressed in Marine bootcamp. Can't help but think kids aren't learning that any more, then they leave the safe cocoon of home and enter the world unprepared.
Ok Boomer!

What wouldn't prepare them? The constant coddling? The helicopter parenting? The reassurance that they are able to do anything even when evidence suggests that isn't true? The spoiling? The lack of real, face to face social interaction? An education system geared towards a test rather than actual education? Parents who blame schools and teachers for bad grades instead of their kids' effort or ability? Time outs? Anti-bullying campaigns (bullying sucks, but I seriously wonder how important it is to one's development)? The very real trend of telling them everyone else is holding them down and their problems are not caused by their own decisions and flaws? The fact that many kids think they should get respect before giving it? The lack of respect for authority? How they have no experiences to teach them that there are consequences for their actions? And I could go on all day.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Watched this "feel good" video and realized something...

https://youtu.be/cSSFRim8OK8
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

What did you realize? Something about bananas? 5/5, btw
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: What did you realize?
No white people go to Harvard apparently. :D
TheCatt wrote: 5/5, btw
Me too, although I couldn't get Harrison's full name. I knew it was the first one though, not the second one whose term was sandwiched between the two Cleveland terms.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: No white people go to Harvard apparently.
Ahhhh