The College Thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Plan on sending your son to college?

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I would need to see numbers on the number of graduated finishing with big debt that will take more than ten years to pay off.

As it is, I think a lot of people take on this debt without a clear understanding of what they are doing and why they are doing it.

I know TPR disagrees but I still see a basic connection between what amounts to inexperienced kids with bottomless funds to attend school, and schools jacking up their price.
I don't disagree with those issues either. But even with those issues, college is a large net positive overall
It's not me, it's someone else.
Vince

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote: I would need to see numbers on the number of graduated finishing with big debt that will take more than ten years to pay off.

As it is, I think a lot of people take on this debt without a clear understanding of what they are doing and why they are doing it.

I know TPR disagrees but I still see a basic connection between what amounts to inexperienced kids with bottomless funds to attend school, and schools jacking up their price.
I don't disagree with those issues either. But even with those issues, college is a large net positive overall
Not picking a fight or even saying I necessarily disagree with you, but what are the positives you'd list? Seriously curious as to what you see as the positives.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
More than half of the Republicans surveyed for a Pew Research Center poll released Monday say colleges and universities are hurting the country,
What a bunch of babies. They're wrong. Are colleges perfect? Of course not. Hurting America? Insanity.
They are absolutely wrong to a point, but so are Dems thinking colleges are perfect. In fact, anyone who says "everyone should go to college" is full of shit and they are hurting the country.

More education is rarely a bad thing. So I would like to think the Repubs taking the survey were responding more to the debt incurred, the worthless degrees being created, the fact that many jobs don't really need degrees to do, the wasted years learning theory based on dated information rather than learning on the job, the liberal leanings of college, etc.

Every labor job in this world does not and should not require a college degree. All the lower tier jobs like receptionist, administrative assistants, filing clerks, customer service reps, etc. don't need college degrees. They just need on the job training. Cops and firefighters don't need degrees as they have special schools for them. IT people, generally, do not need a degree. (Certifications spin our world, except for you programming types?) We're a service based economy, why does everyone need a degree?

Why does everyone need to go into debt right out of high school? Can't we just put a literal shackle on them instead and let them get to work?

There are a LOT of jobs that need degrees, like engineers, programmers (I guess? Aren't there specialized schools for programmers now? Can't someone learn code in their basement and go work at Valve?), lawyers, doctors, HR people (Who are a huge part of the problem of "Everyone needs a degree!"), managers for corporations (do fast food managers really need a degree? No.), etc.

What are we, as a society, getting out of everyone being forced to go to college? Seriously. A more educated populace? Because I'm not seeing that. Better run corporations? I don't know if that's true or not, but I know corporate greed is probably at an all time high? More people in debt? Yes. More people immediately getting jobs in their field out of college? No.

How many tens of thousands of kids will graduate college this year with general education or communications degrees? And before you say, "Well that's their fault", it's not. Shouldn't the colleges be advising them as to where their degrees will take them? What to expect? Nope, they're just taking their money.
GORDON wrote: I still see a basic connection between what amounts to inexperienced kids with bottomless funds to attend school, and schools jacking up their price.
I am currently taking my second college class of the summer. These are online classes. That means no classroom and no overhead for the college to pay for. The instructors send out an email each week, but other than that, they only grade as there are no lectures. I rented a book for $90 for one of the classes, the other didn't have a book. Each assignment was instead a collection of articles from the internet. Each class has 30-40 students. Over $3K for these two online summer classes, which also means they're condensed.

Yeah...

College IS a good thing that's needed, but we need to stop pretending everyone needs it. I worked with a guy who had a masters in ancient Greece history or some shit. He was working nights as an operator making $15/hour. I asked him what he could do with that degree and he said "teach", but he indicated he'd never make back the money he spent on the degree.

So you'd never hear me say that we need to do away with colleges, but I do think we need to scale them back. I don't think everyone needs to go and I don't think they're currently priced fairly.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Progressive college official says minorities are too stupid to pass algebra.

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/34755/
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

That last one is kinda depressing.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Not "kinda"...
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Keep that guaranteed college loan money (that cant be discharged through bankruptcy) coming. Pretty soon we'll have kids graduating a million in debt.
Vince

Post by Vince »

This is fine.

But, you know... "science"!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Judge just gave the Penn State fratboys a free pass on letting one of their pledges drink himself to death while denying him emergency care and trying to cover the incident up. I wonder which parents were rich enough to make that happen.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

USC kicker thrown out of school with two classes to go.

Why?

Because someone might have seen something they assumed was the kicker assaulting his girlfriend.

No police, no charges, no nothing from any actual law enforcement. Just USC SJWs deciding people's fate based on their own prejudices and feelings.

Thankfully, a real court of law is telling them to get bent.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

IF there's one good thing from a Trump administration, changes in Title IX might be it.
Vince

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: IF there's one good thing from a Trump administration, changes in Title IX might be it.
Agreed. Obama's title IX stuff was really bad.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Vince wrote:
TheCatt wrote: IF there's one good thing from a Trump administration, changes in Title IX might be it.
It was still the end user that applied it. Fuck all of them.
Vince

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote:
Vince wrote:
It was still the end user that applied it. Fuck all of them.
Yeah, but they were pretty much threatened with the withholding of funding if they didn't.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Don't care. Evil is evil even though you really want the devil's money.
Vince

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: Don't care. Evil is evil even though you really want the devil's money.
One of many reasons I want a smaller federal government. If they aren't paying for everything everywhere, it makes it harder for them to strong arm you.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Which is why they will never give up an inch of what they have now.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Feds considering only partially forgiving student loan debts.

Obama was forgiving people who got loans for bullshit schools like ITT, Phoenix, etc. The Trump administration is realizing that is a metric fuckton of money the government lost, and want to recover some.

End of the day, whose fault was is it? The government for giving the load or the student not researching their school and ensuring they were accredited?

Also, there's already the angle being played that this hurts black people more. I guess 50% of all government student loans to black people haven't been paid back (that comes from a website by and for black folks). That article then goes on to just bash Trump for his "school" rather than addressing why half of black students aren't paying back their student loans.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

This is an interesting one, so make sure you have time to read this post.

First, let me get the why out of the way: Liberal Arts school protesting Steve Martin's King Tut skit/song being shown in class.

They call it racist and cultural appropriation. The students are demanding all sorts of stuff to make up for this perceived slight including that same day off next year to help them recover from the trauma they suffered watching it. That link is really just about THAT particular issue and because it included the video of the actual "offending" material.

Now for the big read and where things get really interesting.

This is taking place at Reed, which is apparently a big time leader in the liberal/progressive movement. This on campus group called RAR, Reedies Against Racism, has been ruling the campus with an iron fist. Stop me if you've heard this song and dance before... The students have interrupted lectures, made demands of the administration, protested non-stop, called any students and professors (no matter their ethnicity) racists if they don't stand with RAR in every way, forced white students to pay to go to dances even when RAR isn't affiliated with the dance, threatened physical violence against anyone they see as their enemy, etc.

They're a walking poster for exactly why the U.S. doesn't negotiate with terrorists. The minute you do, they just want more and their tactics get even worse when they don't get their way.

Anyway, if you're like me, you're probably already disgusted by the group and what's going on in colleges, however there is hope. Left leaning MSM outlet, The Atlantic, has an exceptionally good piece on this issue.

There is a group of people fighting back, and the hype about the article is correct, it's not by who you think. What's great is the people fighting back are EXACTLY who needs to fight back to end this stupidity. Logic, common sense, equality, a desire to learn, and tolerance is what needs to win the day to beat hate groups like RAR and that is what's happening.

It's a long article, but an excellent read, and honestly, a great sign for the future of this country.