The College Thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote:UVA sues Rolling Stone

Damn right.
Alleged rape victim doesn't want deposition

Jackie's lawyers claim she would be re-victimized if forced to recount the incident under oath and would be at risk of "extreme psychological" and "irreparable harm."
The former UVA student, whose account of the incident formed the basis of the Rolling Stone article, has not been identified in court papers. The article detailed a gang rape, but the story was eventually retracted, and police in Charlottesville found no evidence to support Jackie's claim.
Rolling Stone apologized for the article and the fraternity was ultimately cleared
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Nice victim shaming, CNN.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Two drunks caught fucking.

The chick:
Wasted to the tune of 3x times the legal limit and blackout blitzed.
Does not have a penis.

The dude:
Wasted to the tune of 2x times the legal limit and probably not in the best state of mind.
Does have a penis.
Is looking at 10 years in jail and sexual assault convictions.

Unless he's got a history of this sort of thing (which I doubt he had time for what with training for the Junior Olympics), let me break down what most likely happened: a couple of lightweights drank far too much and have no hope of remembering what the fuck actually transpired. Should he get off without punishment? Of course not. But this...
“He may not look like a rapist, but he is the … face of campus sexual assault,” Deputy District Attorney Alaleh Kianerci told the jury, according to the Mercury News.

Come the fuck on. The face of campus sexual assault is a thoroughly wasted freshman swimmer?

Edited By Malcolm on 1459449279
Last edited by Malcolm on Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Malcolm

Re: Plan on sending your son to college?

Post by Malcolm »

College is awesome. Glad I got the fuck out before it went to hell completely.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Looks like being popular, white, and intoxicated enough means you get a reduced penalty.
The one-time battler of sexual predators is now reviled everywhere as the judge who sentenced a 20-year-old former Stanford swimming star named Brock Turner to a term of just six months for assault with intent to commit rape of an intoxicated woman, sexually penetrating an intoxicated person with a foreign object, and sexually penetrating an unconscious person with a foreign object.
And despite Turner allowing on the stand that he sought out drunk girls at parties and insisting that the victim had given her verbal consent.
And despite two Good Samaritan bicyclists testifying that the victim had been sprawled unconscious and half-naked beside an outdoor dumpster when they came upon Turner sexually assaulting her.
And despite the Samaritans testifying that Turner tried to flee after one of them called out, “‘What the fuck are you doing? She’s unconscious.’”
And despite the nurse who had previously examined 700 other sex crime victims—including presumably those from cases that Persky himself had prosecuted—testifying that the victim in this case had suffered “significant trauma” to her vagina.
This is coming from a judge that prided himself on taking violent sexual offenders to task. The non-violent ones, though, they get a break.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

While I agree the little twit deserved a harsher punishment, this is insanity:
"We need judges who understand violence against women. Judge Persky does not. He should be replaced. Hopefully a qualified woman will replace him," said Stanford Law Professor Michele Dauber in an email to NPR.
That's a fucking law professor saying that!

Clearly all judges should be women because the only cases they hear about about violence against women. Also, let's completely ignore the fact that she's advocating for a biased judge, which would allow for moving trials, mistrials, overturning convictions, etc.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Stanford Swimmer/Rapist's dad posted a message about the incident and his son as has been rebuffed elsewhere, but I finally saw an "edited version...

That last part he, the dad not the editor, really loses me. That's classic blaming the victim. "My son raped your daughter, but it was her fault for passing out drunk."

By the way, now that it's been revealed that he had attempted rape previously, your post above looks pretty bad Malcolm. (The one about the drunks "caught fucking".)
Troy

Post by Troy »

I think the "Brock Turner Family Support" page is fake, and a troll.
http://kron4.com/2016/06/20/stanford-ra ... ort-group/

He's still an awful human being who deserves to be a sex offender for the rest of his days, though.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote:By the way, now that it's been revealed that he had attempted rape previously, your post above looks pretty bad Malcolm. (The one about the drunks "caught fucking".)
Unless he's got a history of this sort of thing...
In any case, this...
“He may not look like a rapist, but he is the … face of campus sexual assault,” Deputy District Attorney Alaleh Kianerci told the jury, according to the Mercury News.
... is still a fucking stupid statement.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I did a double take to make sure this wasn't from theonion.com.
The term "drunkorexia" has been used for several years to describe a particularly risky type of behavior on college campuses — students skip meals or exercise intensely before drinking, or deliberately purge during or afterward.
“It’s a new phenomenon ­involving disordered eating purely for the sole purpose of saving calories for alcohol,” says researcher Alissa Knight of the University of South Australia.
We're breeding not just lightweights, but lightweights with no hope of improvement.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

People did that when I was in college.

1) it gets you drunk faster

2) it's cheaper

3) no one wants to get fat.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

TheCatt wrote:People did that when I was in college.

1) it gets you drunk faster

2) it's cheaper

3) no one wants to get fat.
Soaking a tampon in vodka and shoving it up your ass is better on all three points. Hell, provided I can interpret #1 as "gets you intoxicated," meth wins, too. But I wouldn't advise either, even on a budget. Proper drinking is no different than any other hobby or sport. There are proven techniques and scientific methods to follow. You have little to no hope of achieving success without them.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

In the fuck?
Since 1936, two large murals by Cal Peters portraying early Wisconsin history have dominated the common area of Harvey Hall at the University of Wisconsin-Stout (UW-Stout). One mural shows French fur traders and American Indians traveling down the Red Cedar River by canoe, while another portrays a wooden fort constructed by the French. Neither painting shows any violence at all.

But now, after 80 years, the murals are abruptly being given the heave-ho after concerns were raised that the paintings are offensive.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Vince

Post by Vince »

Seems like we're getting to a point where we are told you HAVE to have a college degree, so it's not surprising when someone sues because they aren't getting one. Kind of surprised this hasn't happened before for any number of reasons (not just accused rape).
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I hope the college gets reamed up the ass which will be paid by the students who will just have to take out more student loan debt next year so they can drink too much and make bad decisions and then accuse peeps of rape.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

He should have reported it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Welcome to Harvard, where free speech doesn't exist, and you will be re-programmed.
Harvard University has suspended its Division I men’s soccer team for the rest of the season after the school’s lawyers found a “scouting report” assessing the physical appearance of women players in vulgar terms was a widespread practice among players, including among those on this fall’s roster.

The men’s soccer team is currently ranked first in the Ivy League and will forfeit the final two games of the season and forego any postseason play.

The school’s student newspaper, the Harvard Crimson, reported last week that the men’s 2012 soccer team rated women’s soccer recruits with narrative descriptions, a number scale, nicknames and potential sexual positions.

Harvard President Drew Gilpin Faust instructed the general counsel’s office to review the matter.

“I was deeply distressed to learn that the appalling actions of the 2012 men’s soccer team were not isolated to one year or the actions of a few individuals,” Ms. Faust said in a prepared statement.

She said she supports the athletic director’s decision to cancel the remainder of the season, and to engage the soccer team in “a systematic program of training.”