The College Thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Plan on sending your son to college?

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:By the way, this statement is inaccurate according to colleges. Wiki is not an accepted source for any projects or papers.
I wonder if you could hear the whiplash from my eyeroll?
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote:By the way, this statement is inaccurate according to colleges. Wiki is not an accepted source for any projects or papers.
I wonder if you could hear the whiplash from my eyeroll?
I just thought it was funny that your defense was a source that isn't recognized by colleges.

I'm starting to see a pattern with you. Sources suck when you disagree with them, but are legit when they agree with your point. :D
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
I just thought it was funny that your defense was a source that isn't recognized by colleges.
I cannot tell if you are being intentionally obtuse or not.
Vince

Post by Vince »

I like Wiki for general knowledge articles. When things might be colored by politic or activism, I find it's accuracy a bit more problematic.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote:
I cannot tell if you are being intentionally obtuse or not.
Sometimes.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

We need to raise our girls differently.
When it comes to teen dating violence, boys are more likely to report being the victim of violence—being hit, slapped, or pushed—than girls. That’s the surprising finding of new research from the University of British Columbia and Simon Fraser University.

Overall, fewer teens are reporting experiencing physical abuse from their dating partners, with five per cent of teens reporting dating violence in 2013, down from six per cent in 2003.

However, the researchers found 5.8 per cent of boys and 4.2 per cent of girls said they had experienced dating violence in the past year.

First author Catherine Shaffer, a PhD student from SFU who was involved in the study, says more research is needed to understand why boys are reporting more dating violence.

“It could be that it’s still socially acceptable for girls to hit or slap boys in dating relationships,” she said. “This has been found in studies of adolescents in other countries as well.”
Come to think of it. I've never hit a female. But, I did date one girl who hit me whenever I made snarky comments. She wasn't very strong though, so it just made me laugh more, which made her madder.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Lots of reasons for this behavior.

First, not only is it socially acceptable for a woman to hit a guy, and not vice versa, but the average Joe would probably not believe any stories of a man being abused.

Second, empower a group of people, and they become more violent. That's just a fact. Why would women be any different?

Third, a lot of people genuinely believe a woman isn't physically strong enough to hurt a man, so them hitting a man is ok.

Fourth, men are the root of all evil. Double that for straight men. Triple it for white men.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

You aren't allowed to suggest that literally raising and training a girl to be a victim is bad, though. It's why the final solution to all of this is going to be stupid and harsh.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: The FBI knew about Nassar while women and children were getting molested.

I realize they need to build a case, but they couldn't move faster?
Nassar accused of raping 17 year old in 1992. The great part...
she went to Michigan State University police to report the rape with two of her friends.

The lawsuit states that: "The police told them that since she was an athlete, she had to report it to the athletic department. The detective explicitly told them that he was powerless to investigate anything that takes place to the athletic department and to go to the athletic department."

Davis also alleges that the sergeant who gave her this information called [football coach, former AD, recent board member] Perles a "powerful man" and suggested she drop the issue. Perles took over as the university's athletic director in 1990. He stayed on as the football coach through 1994, but stepped down from his post as athletic director in May 1992, around the same time that Ludwig approached him, according to the lawsuit.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Whomever that "cop" is, if her story is true, should be thrown in jail. I honestly don't know if campus police are even real police? I know the college across the street from my office has "cops", but they're not actual cops.

Telling someone to report a real world crime to the fucking athletic department is mind boggling. That's either blatant lies to program the sports program or that person wasn't a real cop.

I don't remember Perles.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Might take some heat off the Pope for a minute.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I don't remember Perles.
Me, either, and he used to be part of the Steelers' coaching staff: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Perles
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Group starts anonymous rape accusation list/site
At the end of September, a group of anonymous University of Washington students launched a new website. Called, “Make Them Scared,” the website solicits and publishes the names of men, both in and outside of the school, who have been accused of rape, sexual assault, harassment, and abuse. It’s the Shitty Media Men list, UW edition.
The Shitty Media Men list was a collection of anonymous allegations against men working in media that circulated online in the wake of #MeToo. Like Make Them Scared, it was created anonymously, although the originator eventually came out. Allegations on the list, which was hosted on a Google Doc that anyone with access could edit, ranged from flirting and “weird dates” to physical abuse and rape.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Start an online list about women who tried to lie about paternity. Sort of an "avoid these women" list.

Then watch the outrage.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Guy rapes woman hours after #metoo rally.

Long story short:
-They got drunk together.
-She let him stay the night.
-Neither can recall everything.
-Doesn't sound like penetration took place.
-He is showing remorse.

Typically, I think rapists should just be killed. They're just thieves who steal emotions instead of material goods. However, in this case, I think a lighter sentence is probably in order.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

If he was drunk, he couldn't consent. Counter.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: If he was drunk, he couldn't consent. Counter.
But he was the one doing.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: But he was the one doing.
And clearly wasn't aware of what he was doing.

Temporary insanity?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: And clearly wasn't aware of what he was doing.

Temporary insanity?
Maybe. That was how I was that one time I did things I should not have done. Once I was aware what I was going, I removed myself from the situation.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Intoxicated people absolutely can never consent. He's a victim.