The College Thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
GORDON
Site Admin

Plan on sending your son to college?

Post by GORDON »

Yeah... I really thought it was common knowledge.

And... Were laws broken, paying to be admitted to college? Seems a weird thing to legislate
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I have little sympathy for that lawsuit. It's not like 100 kids a year were being admitted this way. The impact was marginal
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Executive at private equity firm TPG fired for being in the scheme.
McGlashan agreed to pay $250,000 to participate in both parts of the scheme, according to the complaint. The goal was allegedly to get his son admitted to the University of Southern California.
"[W]e believe the behavior described to be inexcusable and antithetical to the values of our entire organization," TPG said in a statement.
McGlashan says he resigned from TPG. In a letter to the company's board of directors, which was provided to CNN Business by McGlashan's spokesperson, he wrote that "the progress we have made is too important for you to be distracted by the issues I am facing personally."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
I have little sympathy for that lawsuit. It's not like 100 kids a year were being admitted this way. The impact was marginal
The girl in the suit got a 32 or 34 on the ACT and now attends Stanford. She's got a case.

However, should every single person who applied and got denied be eligible to get their money back? IMHO, yes. However, not because of this case. It's because I personally think the idea of having to pay to apply for college is like a rapist sending their victim a bill.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: The girl in the suit got a 32 or 34 on the ACT and now attends Stanford. She's got a case.
No, she's going to Tulane. Which tells me that she wasn't getting into a great college anyway.

The Stanford student was saying that the actions "hurt the value of her degree," which is pretty retarded.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: The girl in the suit got a 32 or 34 on the ACT and now attends Stanford. She's got a case.
No, she's going to Tulane. Which tells me that she wasn't getting into a great college anyway.

The Stanford student was saying that the actions "hurt the value of her degree," which is pretty retarded.
Really? I must have confused them while skimming.

I love the Stanford argument. It's total bullshit, but anything to take the wind out of the sails of college I'm for! :D
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Women are going to rue the day they took this option away from themselves.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Got this email this week regarding financial assistance for college students. I like the policy, but the criticism will be that it helps to hold people down who make a mistake.
Dear Student:

The University of XXXX is required by the Department of Education to provide this consumer information notice to all enrolled students. No action in response to this email is required from you.

The University of XXXX is committed to providing a drug-free environment for members of the University community. This notice provides information about the Title IV federal financial aid penalties associated with drug -related offenses. Pursuant to section 484(r) of the Higher Education Act, a student who has been convicted of any offense under any Federal or State law involving the possession or sale of illegal drugs during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving Federal Student Aid will result in the loss of eligibility for any Federal Student Aid program, including grants, loans, or work-study assistance for the following period of time:

If convicted of an offense involving the possession of a controlled substance, the ineligibility period is:

- First offense................1 year

- Second offense...........2 years

- Third offense..............Indefinite

If convicted of an offense involving the sale of a controlled substance, the ineligibility period is:

- First offense...............2 years

- Second offense..........Indefinite

REHABILITATION - A student whose eligibility has been suspended due to a drug conviction may resume eligibility if (1) the student satisfactorily completes a drug rehabilitation program that complies with the criteria the Secretary of Education prescribes and includes two unannounced drug tests or (2) the conviction is reversed, set aside, or otherwise rendered not valid.

Sincerely,

Office of Student Financial Aid
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Wonder if Natalie Portman and Hermione will lose their Ivy League degrees.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Wonder if Natalie Portman and Hermione will lose their Ivy League degrees.
Are they involved?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
GORDON wrote: Wonder if Natalie Portman and Hermione will lose their Ivy League degrees.
Are they involved?
No, they are not.

Maybe Gordon was saying they only got in due to their fame?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I think Emma Watson is legit smart.

Portman I'm not so sure about...
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Yes , because of the fame. Odds are.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »