The College Thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Plan on sending your son to college?

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

It used to be called apprenticeship.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Right?

I hope corporate America continues to get fed up with the untrained and unprepared college grads and starts offering more alternatives.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Send your kid to Drexel, where this piece of shit pretending to be human teaches.

Drexel pretending this asshole's personal opinions don't affect them is a pussy move. If he was ranting neocon bullshit he'd be fired. He should be fired simply on the basis that he's more likely to drive students away than attract them.
He resigns.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

That CNN article paints him as a victim of targeted right-wing hate.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

"White Racism" course being offered at Florida Gulf Coast University.

Here's all you need to know about it from the instructor's own mouth:
Thornhill was adamant that the course isn’t “anti-white” but rather is “anti-white racism.”

“Clearly, not all white people are racists; some are even anti-racist,” Thornhill said, though he added all white people “derive, in some measure, material and psychological benefits by virtue of being racialized as white.”
Go fuck yourself you ignorant prick.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

It occurred to me that we have several threads converging right now.

It all starts with Larry Nassar being exposed as a sex abuser. Him being a part of the sports world, specifically Michigan State, has us talking there, but now we have to also start considering the blow back #metoo is going to cause at colleges.

Initially, you have to think the culture of immediately blaming men will get worse. However, then I think it's going to get better. Why? Because schools are going to be getting called out for keeping these things quiet. That means public pressure and law enforcement will be getting involved instead of secret tribunals made up of students pretending to be unbiased.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: However, then I think it's going to get better. Why? Because schools are going to be getting called out for keeping these things quiet. That means public pressure and law enforcement will be getting involved instead of secret tribunals made up of students pretending to be unbiased.
Hopefully the schools realize they have NO PLACE in this. It's purely a criminal investigation, and if they suspend/ban thiefs, they should do the same to offenders, etc. (based on degree of crime, etc, etc)
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

If I were a woman who'd been sexually assaulted, and an agreement between the college and local police meant that my justice was simply to expel the other student, I'd be suing every fucking body.

But if there's no due process, it's a fucking sham, and if I were expelled on nothing, I'd be suing every fucking body.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Continuing our MSU coverage...

Students interrupted a board of trustees meeting today to protest the interim president.

What specifically are his crimes that would prevent him from being an interim president until the school finds a replacement?

Let's ask Dan Martel, president of the MSU College Democrats...
a straight, white, wealthy male who is just conservative enough to keep our elected officials down Michigan Avenue pacified for a little while longer
Oh, and he's also a Republican.

Yep, no bigotry and/or ignorance in Martel's statement...
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Larry Nassar's lawyer thinks some of the girls are making up their stories.

Doesn't matter to me. One was enough.
Yeah, fuck him up the ass with the biggest prisoners they got.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The FBI knew about Nassar while women and children were getting molested.

I realize they need to build a case, but they couldn't move faster?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Syracuse bans frat due to racist, anti-Semitic video.
Students on the Syracuse campus this week were outraged after The Daily Orange, an independent student newspaper, obtained and posted a video in which a fraternity member makes another one swear to hold onto hatred for African-Americans, Hispanics and Jews, using racial slurs for those groups.

Later, another student, using a derogatory word for Jews, makes a veiled reference to gas chambers in Nazi Germany.
Yep, that's pretty disturbing. What possible excuse could they have?
The fraternity chapter later released a statement apologizing, saying the skit depicted in video was meant to be "satirical." New members, the chapter's statement said, were roasting another fraternity member who is a conservative Republican.

"It was a satirical sketch of an uneducated, racist, homophobic, misogynist, sexist, ableist and intolerant person," the statement said, adding the group wasn't trying to make excuses, but giving context to the comments made in the video. "The young man playing the part of this character nor the young man being roasted do not hold any of the horrible views espoused as a part of that sketch."
Ah! See, it's ok because they were just mocking the greatest evil the world has ever known: Republicans!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Girl strips down to her underwear to give presentation (w/picture)

She was doing this as a "protest" of her teacher suggesting her skirt was too short. However, while many students defended her right to protest, they pointed out that she was stretching the truth about what actually took place:
Following the incident, 11 of the 13 other students in the class issued a statement saying they "supported Ms Chai's commitment to the cause of women's rights" but did not agree with her recollection of the events.

"All of us feel that out professor's words and actions were unfairly represented in the post, with certain quotes taken out of context and we wish to clarify any misunderstandings that may have occurred," they said.
So this is probably more of a cry for attention than an actual protest.

And really, what does this protest accomplish? How was the professor wrong? Try wearing your underwear to a board meeting at any firm in the world and see what happens. That includes companies like Victoria's Secret and Hanes.) There's something to be said for looking professional to be taken seriously. The professor pointing out that young men might be distracted by her short skirt is a matter of fact, not opinion or condemning her. To deny this is to deny human nature and is insanity.

How many people do you think are clicking articles about this and trying to figure out what her presentation discusses? I know the picture contains a slide, but I didn't look at that. I checked out her body. I promise you that men and women, straight or not, looked at her body first before even reading the article, let alone question what her presentation entails.

You want to be taken seriously? Dress appropriately and take sex out of the equation.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Following the incident, 11 of the 13 other students in the class issued a statement saying they "supported Ms Chai's commitment to the cause of women's rights" but did not agree with her recollection of the events.
So... it would be nice to have their version of what happened.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I'm guessing the comment was more subdued and in the vein of what I was saying, "If you want to be taken seriously, you must dress professionally".

I cannot imagine any other scenario that would fit their statement.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Title IX rape rules got used against a woman.

Uh oh.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/05/11/cinc ... oe-roe-sex
Here's an alternative theory: Doe woke up, realized they had engaged in sexual activity while they were both drunk, and feared that she would file a complaint against him, as she had done to his friend. Panic-stricken, he felt he had no choice but to beat her to the punch.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Former MSU player suing the school for ruining his life.

So he was accused of sexual assault, no charges filed, they expel him, he gets drafted, claims the NFL team dumped him because of the assault, and now he can't even get a degree anywhere...

His story seems very dubious.

Meanwhile, the girl he allegedly assaulted is also suing the school.

This is what you get when you think your decisions trump the actual laws of the country. Had they acted based upon charges/conviction, they wouldn't be facing either lawsuit.