Today's Moron Champion

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Malcolm

Re: Today's Moron Champion

Post by Malcolm »

Maybe the parents should be watching their children when they're around large, undomesticated animals in open enclosures. Perhaps maybe they shouldn't bring along a child who can't behave.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Kids get away, it happens. However, I don't think the parents are without blame.

Also, the design on the enclosure seems very easy to get through, so the zoo bears some responsibility (and I'm SURE the parents are going to file a lawsuit).

But did you watch the video? I don't think that gorilla meant that kid harm. They should have tried something else before a kill shot.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Malcolm wrote:Maybe the parents should be watching their children when they're around large, undomesticated animals in open enclosures. Perhaps maybe they shouldn't bring along a child who can't behave.
Shit happens, Malcolm, not everyone can be as perfect as you 24 hours a day.

According to my Facebook feed, I know many more zoologists than I thought.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The ape flung him 20 feet, twice. Shit was going downhill fast.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Malcolm wrote:The ape flung him 20 feet, twice. Shit was going downhill fast.
He was just playing! :D

In other news, it didn't take long to replace that moron at the top of moron hill...

Blind man suing McDonald's because their drive-thru is discriminatory.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

A class action complaint? This should be amusing.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Investigation into gorilla incident. Goddamn, most people shot by the cops don't get this much attention.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Imagine of the gorilla had been a white albino.... but of course then it wouldn't have been shot in the first place.

:-D
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:Imagine of the gorilla had been a white albino.... but of course then it wouldn't have been shot in the first place.

That joke made the rounds above five minutes after he got shot.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Malcolm wrote:
GORDON wrote:Imagine of the gorilla had been a white albino.... but of course then it wouldn't have been shot in the first place.

That joke made the rounds above five minutes after he got shot.
Your mom made those same rounds.

I was in Alabama last week not paying attention to shit. Consider it original humor.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I swear, we need a separate thread for "when armchair zoology goes wrong."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Malcolm wrote:I swear, we need a separate thread for "when armchair zoology goes wrong."
And Elk
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Malcolm wrote:I swear, we need a separate thread for "when armchair zoology goes wrong."
What about when armchair zoology goes right?

Based on the guy who raised the silverback and Jane Goodall saying Harambe was clearly protecting the child (something I said) and other expert opinions about Harambe possibly acting aggressive due to the way the enclosure was designed and NOT meaning harm to the boy, it seems like all those FB people being mocked have a leg to stand on in this case. (Granted that typically they don't...)

The enclosure issue is apparently about being down in that moat makes the gorilla scared of the people above. It makes them look threatening and larger, and the way they were screaming and everything else made the gorilla think he, and possibly the boy, were in danger.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

What about when armchair zoology goes right?
Confirmation bias of those two sources. Did you see the kid get dragged 25 feet by the gorilla? Even if he didn't mean to harm to the child, the risk was certainly there, and the right thing was done.
It makes them look threatening and larger, and the way they were screaming and everything else made the gorilla think he, and possibly the boy, were in danger.
Which I think just goes to the point that the kid was in danger, and the gorilla may have been unpredictable.
I don't think that gorilla meant that kid harm. They should have tried something else before a kill shot.
OK, Mr. Zookeeper. What should they have done? And just remember, if you get it wrong, and anything bad happens to that kid, the outrage will be 100x what it was for the gorilla. Including you getting fired, the zoo being sued, etc, etc.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Even if he didn't mean to harm to the child, the risk was certainly there, and the right thing was done.
Yes.
Harambe possibly acting aggressive due to the way the enclosure was designed and NOT meaning harm to the boy...
Dude, listen to yourself. He was acting aggressive and that doesn't up his chances of losing his shit with dozens or hundreds of gawking couch potato Steve Irwin fanbois pointing their fingers and cameras at him? They said they didn't tranq him because then he'd be exceedingly pissed and have a higher chance of turning violent. It doesn't matter why the 400-pound gorilla is angry, the fact that it is should be enough to warrant alarm. Once he fails to return to the enclosure, he's exactly one bad move away from getting clipped. He made two, the end.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ape dude says shit could have gotten real at any point in time.
Much of his reaction may have been triggered by public noise and yelling.
Maybe the public that proclaimed to love the gorilla so much should have backed the fuck away instead of exacerbating the situation.
I honestly don’t know what I would have decided under the circumstances—it would have depended on the precise information that would have reached me -- but at the same time can’t help but wonder what would have happened had the public been moved out of the way, and also the veterinary and security staff would have been held back, so that only animal care staff familiar to Harambe would have been left around. Under such circumstances, calm might have returned and, who knows, the child might have been left unharmed.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Under such circumstances, calm might have returned and, who knows, the child might have been left unharmed.
The "who knows" part of this indicates they needed to shoot the ape. Hate it. They are magnificent creatures. Even if the ape isn't trying to hurt the kid (which I don't think he was), a 450 lb male silverback can snap a kid in two quite unintentionally.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

After further thought, the only circumstances under which I'd argue against shooting the gorilla all involve Trump falling into the pit instead of the kid. In those cases, I'd go out for a few drinks, come back, maybe fire a dart or two, then see what happens.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Malcolm wrote:After further thought, the only circumstances under which I'd argue against shooting the gorilla all involve Trump falling into the pit instead of the kid. In those cases, I'd go out for a few drinks, come back, maybe fire a dart or two, then see what happens.
The dart into Trump?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

TheCatt wrote:
Malcolm wrote:After further thought, the only circumstances under which I'd argue against shooting the gorilla all involve Trump falling into the pit instead of the kid. In those cases, I'd go out for a few drinks, come back, maybe fire a dart or two, then see what happens.
The dart into Trump?
I'd tranq the slobbering, uncooth, out of control primate with one of the lowest body mass to dick length ratios in nature that also probably eats his own shit. However, I'd tranq the gorilla first.