Cryptocurrency

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bitcoins

Post by TheCatt »

Hmm. I have $200 of credit as well. Was thinking of trying this out on the g3 instances.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bitcoins

Post by TheCatt »

I did some math here: https://www.coinwarz.com/calculators/et ... 00&hc=0.00

and it looks like you can get 20% return ($20 on $100 of AWS credit) mining the g3.8xlarge at $0.43/hour, or more. Will try that out sometime this wkend if I can
thibodeaux

Bitcoins

Post by thibodeaux »

I keep meaning to check out some other coins, like Monero. I dunno. Maybe mine and hold
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bitcoins

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: I keep meaning to check out some other coins, like Monero. I dunno. Maybe mine and hold
All other coins are junk*
thibodeaux

Bitcoins

Post by thibodeaux »

I don't disagree but since you can exchange them, I thought it might be a way to get into the game with my AWS creds.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bitcoins

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: I don't disagree but since you can exchange them, I thought it might be a way to get into the game with my AWS creds.
Ah. I figure that stuff should be arbitraged out by people watching the market.

This site looks like it could help, but I have no idea what values to plug in: https://whattomine.com/
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bitcoins

Post by TheCatt »

$11,000 this morning
Leisher
Site Admin

Bitcoins

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Bitcoins

Post by Vince »

I'm wondering if some of this drive behind BC is an undercurrent of people looking at the world economy and a growing feeling that there's something really wrong here? Kind of a Hail Mary pass against the collapse of the US dollar.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Bitcoins

Post by Leisher »

So I have 10 very good desktops left over.

I'm giving two to another employee's church as he, literally, just asked me. So now I have 8.

Is it worth using the 8 to mine for something?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bitcoins

Post by TheCatt »

No. You need special chipds to mine, CPUs are terrible.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bitcoins

Post by Leisher »

Donating them to schools then...
Leisher
Site Admin

Bitcoins

Post by Leisher »

Vince

Bitcoins

Post by Vince »

I saw this and was wondering how long before this spreads. It's shooting up so fast, it's hard to believe it's stable.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bitcoins

Post by TheCatt »

The transaction costs are much worse than the lack of stability.
For example, transaction fees that are charged to the customer by the Bitcoin network have skyrocketed this year, topping out at close to $20 a transaction last week
versus...
For example, 1.51% plus $0.10 is the current Visa interchange fee for a swiped consumer credit card
Also
VisaNet handles an average of 150 million transactions every day and is capable of handling more than 24,000 transactions per second.
versus
the bitcoin network's theoretical maximum capacity sits at under 7 transactions per second.
It's crap. Crap that I wish I had more of, but crap
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bitcoins

Post by TheCatt »

$19,000 on some exchange today. Insanity.
Vince

Bitcoins

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: $19,000 on some exchange today. Insanity.
Yeah, I think this is going to have to correct soon. Before the last couple of weeks, I thought (as I've wondered above) that a lot of the growth we were seeing was due to a lack of confidence in the US dollar. I honestly thought the way it would go would be a slow but steady increase in the value of Bitcoin as faith in the dollar continued to get shaky, but then an explosion as the dollar collapsed. Followed by a collapse of Bitcoin as it became apparent that all the Bitcoin was worth was a whole bunch of almost worthless dollars.

But now I think a correction will hit before the end of the year. How big of a correction? That will be the question.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bitcoins

Post by TheCatt »

My wife's area mom group has started talking about it. If that's not a bubble warning, I have no idea what is.
Vince

Bitcoins

Post by Vince »

On Sunday I think the markets open to allow futures trading on Bitcoin. I'd be shocked if much of anyone is willing to get into that speculating.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bitcoins

Post by TheCatt »

Fake, but entertaining.