Climate Change (fka man-made global warming)

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

When I'm giving shows at the zoo, a major aquarium sponsor, Owens Illinois, wants the divers, when asked, "What can we do to protect our coral reefs?" to answer, "Use less plastic, and more glass," and then I talk briefly about how plastic never goes away, it just gets smaller and smaller, until it permeates every level of the ocean food chain... which is true. However, all the aquarium people grimace at that, since transporting heavy glass containers is WAY more energy intensive than light plastic containers.

So.

Yeah.

Also, that Pacific garbage patch that everyone likes to talk about? The vast majority isn't from the United States.

"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: It'll all be moot if that new plastic eating bacteria works out.
It'll all be a moo points if those new plastic eating cows work out.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

When the rainy season ended in Mexico, the ravines were just filled with trash.
Leisher
Site Admin

More proof

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Are you Joey?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote:
Are you Joey?
SOMEONE GOT IT!
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

Just to reiterate, the vast majority of.ocean pollution ain't coming from the USA, so.this anti-plastic laws passed in Vermont and sanfran do way less.than even uninformed skeptics think.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... D=ref_fark

Posted on phone. Prolly.fucked up.copypasta.
Cakedaddy

More proof "environmentalists" are fill of shit

Post by Cakedaddy »

You know, you can edit what you type on your phone. It's not like, once it's typed, you have to keep it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: You know, you can edit what you type on your phone. It's not like, once it's typed, you have to keep it.
Splain?
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

He's assuming my eyes are good enough to see typos on the small screen, and is saying I'm just lazy.
Leisher
Site Admin

More proof

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Just to reiterate, the vast majority of.ocean pollution ain't coming from the USA, so.this anti-plastic laws passed in Vermont and sanfran do way less.than even uninformed skeptics think.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... D=ref_fark

Posted on phone. Prolly.fucked up.copypasta.
Just goes to prove that poor people are the problem. :D

Seriously though, we can do every fucking thing possible here to cut pollution, but if the rest of the world isn't on board, it doesn't mean shit. That's the biggest omission from people who bitched about Trump pulling out of the "world's" climate change treaty. They constantly failed to mention that it hammers the U.S. with expected cuts and the tab. Meanwhile, India and China get to go on polluting as normal for several years.

I genuinely want human beings' cavalier attitude to the environment to end, but it's not going to happen unless everyone is on board. We can't save species, coral reefs, etc. unless everyone EQUALLY commits to the effort.

And don't give me the bullshit that poor countries can't afford it. Fucking Cuba has one of the most pristine reefs on the planet thanks to Fidel Castro assigning it protected status.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

The environment is used as a political point, "republicans want to literally destroy the world, see?" and then point to the pacific garbage patch, and Trump's stance on the bullshit treaties. Point being, it aint the USA, for the most part, causing the problem. No one mentions that there are more trees in the USA now than since the 1800s, and that since NIXON created the EPA, our air and water are cleaner than any time since like pre-WW2. Nope. Republicans hate the environment, and we're all going to die within 10 years, because Al Gore, democrat, said so. 12 years ago.
TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

Somewhere in "east Asia" making CFCs again
A sharp and mysterious rise in emissions of a key ozone-destroying chemical has been detected by scientists, despite its production being banned around the world.

Unless the culprit is found and stopped, the recovery of the ozone layer, which protects life on Earth from damaging UV radiation, could be delayed by a decade. The source of the new emissions has been tracked to east Asia, but finding a more precise location requires further investigation.

CFC chemicals were used in making foams for furniture and buildings, in aerosols and as refrigerants. But they were banned under the global Montreal protocol after the discovery of the ozone hole over Antarctica in the 1980s. Since 2007, there has been essentially zero reported production of CFC-11, the second most damaging of all CFCs.
Leisher
Site Admin

More proof

Post by Leisher »

Is Vegas taking bets on who it is because I'd like to make some quick money?
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

I have a dollar I'd like to wager.
Leisher
Site Admin

More proof

Post by Leisher »

Rocks are causing sea levels to rise.

He should team up with that Dem who thought an island could tip over if too many people went to one side.
Leisher
Site Admin

More proof

Post by Leisher »

There are other little-understood connections between the sunspot cycle and climate variation on Earth.
That's a direct quote from a science module on the sun in my astronomy class.

I'm not posting it to make some grand statement. I'm just posting it to support my previous skepticism that we need to learn more about the sun before we can ever ultimately say X is causing global warming, cooling, or whatever.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: That's a direct quote from a science module on the sun in my astronomy class.

I'm not posting it to make some grand statement. I'm just posting it to support my previous skepticism that we need to learn more about the sun before we can ever ultimately say X is causing global warming, cooling, or whatever.
Agreed. I say we need to be a bit more humble and introspective about a lot of science that we pretend we know everything about.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

More proof

Post by Leisher »

I also want to point out that my argument does NOT say we should stop worrying about polluting and whatnot. We absolutely should.

We just shouldn't be saying "The debate is over."
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Is Vegas taking bets on who it is because I'd like to make some quick money?
GORDON wrote: I have a dollar I'd like to wager.
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-44738952

YOU GET A CAR, YOU GET A CAR, oh you just bet a dollar... never mind.
Leisher
Site Admin

More proof

Post by Leisher »

Thanks for the lack of a warning Troy. I just passed out from the staggering shock of that reveal.