Climate Change (fka man-made global warming)

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

I go by All Gore's original cutoff back in 2015 when he was selling movie tickets.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Another doomsday deadline offered.

The biggest problem with this is you can't constantly keep changing the date on this type of warning and expect people to continue taking you seriously.
Well, you can. Science is supposed to get better knowledge and understanding over time.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

Remember when they were selling carbon credits a decade ago?
Leisher
Site Admin

More proof

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Well, you can. Science is supposed to get better knowledge and understanding over time.
Oh, you absolutely can. Just don't expect people to listen.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: Well, you can. Science is supposed to get better knowledge and understanding over time.
Oh, you absolutely can. Just don't expect people to listen.
Which is why people cannot be trusted. Most of them are idiots.
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

Wasn't Al Gore actually selling carbon credits while putting out a movie talking about how we'll die without carbon credits, and then sold hundreds of.millions worth to China? I barely remember that, and may be wrong.

But it fits my Al Gore/supervillain theory.
Leisher
Site Admin

More proof

Post by Leisher »

I truly feel Al Gore's hyperbole, lies, and profiteering has done more to harm the environment than help it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

More proof

Post by Leisher »

Just an interesting tidbit. "Do as I say, not as I do."
An interesting example of government failure occurs when public companies that are completely owned and operated by the government violate the law at higher rates than private companies.

A 2015 study of 1,000 hospitals, 3,000 power plants, and 4,200 water utilities found that public providers were substantially more likely than private companies to violate health and safety laws. Public hospitals and public power plants had 20 percent more high-priority violations of the Clean Air Act, while public water companies had 14 percent more health violations of the Safe Drinking Water Act as well as 29 percent more monitoring violations.

One explanation is that public companies may have difficulty getting taxpayers and politicians to approve the funding that would be needed to improve their facilities by enough to comply with the law. But the law also appears to be applied much more leniently against public companies because public power plants and public hospitals are 20 percent less likely to be fined when found to be in violation of the Clean Air Act. In addition, there is evidence that public violators are allowed to delay or avoid paying fines even when they are assessed. So they are under substantially less pressure than private firms to comply with the law.
Leisher
Site Admin

More proof

Post by Leisher »

2030 is the latest "deadline" or point of no return.

The actions the article says we must do are basically impossible.

Listen, there is NO way that you're getting China and India to completely change their cultures overnight. It's not happening.

The answer has to lie in whatever changes you can make, plus technology used to clean the atmosphere and oceans.
TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

Well, I'm not buying a beach house any time soon.
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

One EMP each over india and china. Problem solved.

Them, in 3 months when the retaliatory strikes happen over the US, even more problem solved.
Vince

More proof "environmentalists" are fill of shit

Post by Vince »

I thought we'd passed the point of no return around 2010?
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

Vince wrote: I thought we'd passed the point of no return around 2010?

According to Al Gore, yes.
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

Everyone always knew those small Pacific islands would be the first to go, with the rising ocean waters.

Except they're getting bigger.

The science is settled.

http://diekaltesonne.de/trotz-meeresspi ... ergrosert/
TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

Here's an English article with the same scientist (and others): https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science- ... 180940704/
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

From 14 years ago.
TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: From 14 years ago.
Yes, but his story is the same, and it provides more context. Basically, some handful of island will derive some amount of benefit. That doesn't help other larger island and such.

He's basically saying that the bad thing may not be as bad for a small set of island, or may be mildly good, depending on the rate of change. It's like saying that the antibacterial soap that kills 99% of germs isn't so bad for the 1%.
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

The report said something like 70% of islands were getting bigger, the rest not, with a net gain of 3% of land mass.
TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: The report said something like 70% of islands were getting bigger, the rest not, with a net gain of 3% of land mass.
74% of islands in Tuvalu (and 27% decreasing, indicating poor rounding skills) increased, with a total net increase of 3%. Still only applying to Tuvalu.

Tuvalu has a TOTAL land area of 10 square miles. 3% is basically a rounding error. Tuvalu itself is much smaller than a rounding error relative to the world.
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

Well shit, end of the world.