Climate Change (fka man-made global warming)

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

So.do I. Over 100 hours in 2017.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Do you do any environmental volunteer work, increasing education, or cleaning up a local riverbank... Things that might actually make a solid difference..., or is your concern limited to placing rules on other people?

:lol:
I'll direct you back here.

Also, I do not build roads, produce electricity, build houses, conduct military training, monitor weather, build the Internet, or a billion other things. Do you?
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

No idea what your point is, at all. I was merely addressing your statement, regarding the environment, "I would rather do something, than nothing," and then pointed out that your "something" is only telling other people what they aren't allowed to do. You don't actually do anything about what you claim to believe is a very serious issue.

So I disagree with your statement.
TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: No idea what your point is, at all. I was merely addressing your statement, "I would rather do something, than nothing," and then pointed out that your "something" is only telling other people what they can't do.

So I disagree with your statement.
Acting as an individual will pale in comparison to large scale action. Large scale action is sometimes best achieve through laws/regulations, particularly in situations where people do not receive the direct costs of their actions (Externalities)
TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

Also, you're contradicting yourself
I'd prefer to actually do something worthwhile, and not pretend.
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: Also, you're contradicting yourself
How so? I already stated I actually volunteer time to environmental causes, and actually change things to reduce my environmental footprint. I talk to kids every other weekend about reducing their usage of.plastics, and tell them how littering harms the ocean ecosystems. It is my belief that my actions are much more tangible than saying, "I support the banning of straws in San Francisco."

I.feel pretty comfortable on my moral high ground.
TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:
TheCatt wrote: Also, you're contradicting yourself
How so? I already stated I actually volunteer time to environmental causes, and actually change things to reduce my environmental footprint. I talk to kids every other weekend about reducing their usage of.plastics, and tell them how littering harms the ocean ecosystems. It is my belief that my actions are much more tangible than saying, "I support the banning of straws in San Francisco."

I.feel pretty comfortable on my moral high ground.
OK, then.
TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy

More proof "environmentalists" are fill of shit

Post by Cakedaddy »

Speaking of doing well. . . Was driving through the Cleveland area the other day. They had 4 massive windmills setup in this one area. One of them was spinning.
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

I am wondering what it would take to set up a couple simple solar panels to.recharge my car.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Are you going to be able to measure the cost to charge your car? I don't know that I could ever say "It's this much" because my use fluctuates all the time. Is it more this month because it was hotter and the AC ran more or is it from the car?
GORDON wrote: I am wondering what it would take to set up a couple simple solar panels to.recharge my car.
Probably a pretty sizable investment. It would have to supplement your existing supply as apposed to replacing it. Otherwise, you'll have to remember to change plugs on cloudy days, etc. So, not only the panels, etc, but hiring an electrician to do it so your house doesn't burn down.
TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I am wondering what it would take to set up a couple simple solar panels to.recharge my car.
This can help with part of the equation: https://www.google.com/get/sunroof/how-it-works/
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

I googled the cost of charging before I bought... there's calculators out there. I forget the criteria, but it was in the neighborhood of $3 to recharge my car, from zero charge. I plug it in on a typical day with about 20% charge, left.

By comparison, I was going through approx $12 every day in my truck, in gas alone. Then there's oil changes, and wear and tear on brakes and exhaust and whatever else that an electric doesn't have.

If it was gas, the LEAF would be about 100 MPG, by cost.

As for the solar panels... if I couldn't set something up for less than $200, it wouldn't even pay off in a year, since I can't even charge it half the day. So, I prolly wont
TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

I can't imagine you could do it for $200.
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

It would have to be shit I scrounged and built myself.

It has occurred to me to wonder if I could take an alternator from an old car, weld some fan blades onto it, and use it as a simple DC generating windmill...
TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: It would have to be shit I scrounged and built myself.

It has occurred to me to wonder if I could take an alternator from an old car, weld some fan blades onto it, and use it as a simple DC generating windmill...
Now you need a battery... and/or... converters? transformers? whatever it is that steps shit up and down.
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

Who knows! But could be cheap, free electricity, if I can recycle old stuff.

And if I get really bored and have the time.
TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Who knows! But could be cheap, free electricity, if I can recycle old stuff.

And if I get really bored and have the time.
Don't die, electricity kills.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Are you going to convert your old satellite dish into a gazebo next?
Leisher
Site Admin

More proof

Post by Leisher »

Another doomsday deadline offered.

The biggest problem with this is you can't constantly keep changing the date on this type of warning and expect people to continue taking you seriously.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”