California - Because it needs its own thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

It's not me, it's someone else.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Worth it!

They are fast tracking my close! 20 days - move in 8/14.

Here are the sexy, over-saturated pictures from the listing.

What are soil conditions like after very large trees are removed in a yard? Big ones in the front and back were removed in the last few years.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

It looks beautiful. Really like that open kitchen, but I'd add an island if there's space.

Soil will probably be fine. It takes a few years for new grass seed to blend with your existing lawn. If you have concerns you can grab a couple of bags of fresh top soil and throw it down.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I immediately wonder what happens to that driveway that goes downhill to the garage, when it rains.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Or do I see a sideways grade?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Troy

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: I immediately wonder what happens to that driveway that goes downhill to the garage, when it rains.
Good eye! What happens in the (unlikely) event of heavy rains is water in the garage - it is the lowest part the house. Luckily it's made of concrete blocks and is the lower level. It was a concern - the house's only real flaw. But right now is the dry season and I have some time to get it fixed.

The foundation report said they put a really nice drainage system in, but in the wrong side of the house, the left side. Suggested we add another one on the right side before the wet season (start in late October), quote, plans and all. It'll be the first thing I green light.
Last edited by Troy on Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Troy

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Or do I see a sideways grade?
Rest of the lot is pretty flat. The grade you see comes from the leftover roots of A HUGE TREE that used to exist in the front yard. It was eating the power lines:

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

That tree is damn near in the house.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: That tree is damn near in the house.
was
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I want to know the cost of removing it.

My neighbors have a massive tree like that and it keeps losing limbs during big storms. The last one dropped a limb on their rear neighbor's fence and shed. Another huge branch is precariously hanging above my own shed.

My wife thinks it'll cost tens of thousands to remove safely. I remember a large tree we had removed at our previous house wasn't a danger to anyone, easily accessible, and still cost several thousand.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Tree removal always seems crazy expensive.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

It's because of the equipment, time, and insurance. Dropping a tree on someone's house isn't cheap.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Dropping a tree on someone's house isn't cheap.
Then they shouldn't do that.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Plan to ask the seller about garden/tree care moving forward when we get closer to close. Will also ask how much the 3 huge trees cost to take out.

It's strangely rural up in the hills. I wonder if there are really big cat predators in Wildcat Canyon.

e:
Wild Animals
Coyote, bobcats, deer, elk, wild pigs, and mountain lions are occasionally spotted in the parks. Their normal reaction is to run away. Some have become used to our presence and will continue their activities while being watched. Never feed, try to approach, or pet wild animals. Keep pets and small children near you in wilderness areas. Because of their size, these animals could become dangerous should they be surprised, confronted, or if they begin to associate humans with food.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

My wife and I saw a coyote near our home this week. Literally the only thing between it and our neighborhood is a line of houses.

Granted, it doesn't want anything to do with coming into our neighborhood, but it still makes you a bit nervous with kids and a medium dog.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: My wife and I saw a coyote near our home this week. Literally the only thing between it and our neighborhood is a line of houses.

Granted, it doesn't want anything to do with coming into our neighborhood, but it still makes you a bit nervous with kids and a medium dog.
Sounds like it was on the look out for small furry domesticated things.

Last year back in Atlanta a couple-friend of ours had their small dog killed while playing in their front yard by one or more. Crazy stuff.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: My wife and I saw a coyote near our home this week. Literally the only thing between it and our neighborhood is a line of houses.

Kids shouldn't be an issue. Coyotes don't want to have anything to do with people regardless of size (unless they have an underlying disease). They go after dogs because they see all other canines as competition for their food sources.

I have a dead gray fox in my freezer for skinning when it cools off that I found right after she was killed by a coyote. One bite on the chest where she was initially pinned and then she was shaken by the throat until her neck broke. Her throat was still wet from slobber when I found her. Rigger hadn't even set in yet.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

We have coyotes. And I live where Troy grew up.
Vince

Post by Vince »

We have tons here. Really raise the hair on the back of your neck when you're outside and hear them starting up. Enough like a dog that you initially think it's a barking dog, but then it turns into something else that's almost haunted sounding.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Troy

Post by Troy »

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://ww ... el_DCOWYNw

Google brought me this video which seemed worth sharing. This wasn't our friends incident (because the dog is alive).

Maybe only I care because the red dog looks exactly like ours.