California - Because it needs its own thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Mine's on. Can I send some electricity to you via FedEx or something?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Mine's on. Can I send some electricity to you via FedEx or something?
Reminds me a reddit post where someone was running an envelope under tap water when CA was having a drought
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Our power went out yesterday for 4 hours due to a fire at a substation.

Thankfully, we were already heading to a Halloween party.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: Power out at about 9pm. Likely out until Monday. Not sure how to watch the game yet.
Maybe the football gods were trying to help you out.

Too bad the stadium still has power.
Troy

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote:
Troy wrote: Power out at about 9pm. Likely out until Monday. Not sure how to watch the game yet.
Maybe the football gods were trying to help you out.

Too bad the stadium still has power.
Picked a place to view based on TVs and location rather than service and food. Made for a horrible situation when the game ended up being a shellacking, the food sucked, and my idiot server finally brought my tortillas when there was no food left on the table.

Good news is we only have to go a dozen blocks down the hill to be back in power territory again. Area looks wild when driving around though, saw plenty of trees, scaffolding, branches collapsed. Supposed to be as bad or worse tonight, 30-40 gusts for sure. Still nothing like east coast hurricane damage.

The bridge we went over yesterday to get into wine country for some fun had a fire on the wine country side right after we got back. See google pics of California Mariitime academy fire. Road closures for fire breaks reported to north and east.

Sunrise/sunset look apocalyptic. So dry.

My dad remains the undisputed handyman of the family. Took multiple doors off today and fixed them up for fun

Charged up all my laptops and they are big batteries for cell phones right now. SF is still shining at night, a big poopy beacon of hope.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Peeps in LA a little less happy than everyone else.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/loca ... 23041.html
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I've not been wanting to "rub it in" to my California friends experiencing power outages, but why is this 3rd world shit being tolerated so well? Puerto Rico can't keep the power on either, and that's major news that affects who people vote for.

Yes, I know there are reasons that are given , chance of fires , etc. But other states have vegetation, too, without planned blackouts.

It feels like PGE is giving y'all a big ol "well.fuck.you, then" with this, since they got sued over their last incompetence failure... But wow they are throwing away a lot of money keeping you dark instead of clearing brush away from the power lines the way other companies do.

You guys probably have local news covering it better, with insight I don't have out here in the affordable cost of living seats.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Peeps in LA a little less happy than everyone else.

I guess "paradise" kind of sucks when you get taxed to death, huh?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Peeps in LA a little less happy than everyone else.

That’s a legit problem. People who came out to CA based solely on a big salary offer and didn’t take into consideration why the salary might be high compared to other spots. Offers like that should come with a warning. Nature and Climate were my top two. I did a few salary equivalency calculators and found my new salary would be worth the same or slightly less than I was making in Atlanta at the time. It worked itself out for the better, mostly thanks to Cat’s opportunities here.

PGE sucks, for sure. But I showed ya’ll the pictures of the front of my house. In our unincorporated neighborhood some of the houses have somewhat perilous power connections running through large trees. PGE is legitametly working to help, but some of that falls on the homeowner. And the homeowners in my neighborhood were mostly retirees and pensioners until the most recent years. Overgrown yards and power-lines-near-trees situations still exist due to lack of homeowner mobility or funds.

And the weather itself is somewhat historic. Huge wind gusts and unbelievably low humidity. The Mediterranean climate itself exists in a tiny part of the world. Fires are just going to happen with our unique seasons. Huge rains to grow vegetation for 4 months, followed by 8 months of dry.

I wish they would stop pouring money down the drain on homeless bums and put it into our power infrastructure.
Last edited by Troy on Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Troy wrote:
I wish they would stop pouring money down the drain on homeless bums and out it into our power infrastructure.
Last week I had to renew my "first responder" certifications to keep diving at the zoo. During the training it was pointed out that the zoo doesn't keep Epipens on hand for people who may suffer an allergic reaction, but every first aid station has Narcan for anyone who ODs on heroin. It was said that Epipens cost $400+ for a pair, and Narcan was available from the health department for free. Let's ponder the reasons why, silently.

Back in 1998 I was making $26k in Ohio, and was offered a job in San Fran for $45k. I did the math, it would have been a pay cut. Instead I took the offer at Gateway 2000 in South Dakota for $40k, and not only was it the best job I ever had, but we were living in a legit luxury apartment. I miss that job, and it was a lot closer to the Black Hills, which I love.

Sigh. I should move.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: I wish they would stop pouring money down the drain on homeless bums and put it into our power infrastructure.
Whoa, hold up there, Nazi.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Back in 1998 I was making $26k in Ohio, and was offered a job in San Fran for $45k. I did the math, it would have been a pay cut. Instead I took the offer at Gateway 2000 in South Dakota for $40k, and not only was it the best job I ever had,
It's so weird to look at late 90s tech salaries vs the insanity of today.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Totally agree. But it felt pretty good at the time, fresh out of the Marines, to have an actual programmer job on salary. A long way away from the government food stamps I grew up on.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: But it felt pretty good at the time, fresh out of the Marines, to have an actual programmer job on salary.
I was in the same pay range, and yeah, I though it was great, too.

When I see kids making almost $100k straight out of college (in not-Bay Area), I feel like they owe us for blazing the trail :)
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

After those early years of bullshit-unpaid-on-call nights, I began to think unionizing IT was a good idea.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: After those early years of bullshit-unpaid-on-call nights, I began to think unionizing IT was a good idea.
I always thought people asking for unions were people who weren't good enough to compete in the job market :P
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I was never a "if you aren't doing 60 hours a week (unpaid), then you aren't devoted enough" person. I could do my job in 30 hours and be good to go, but god help you, in some shops, if you're hitting the door at 5:05, work done, or not.

A union fixes that.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote: Back in 1998 I was making $26k in Ohio, and was offered a job in San Fran for $45k. I did the math, it would have been a pay cut. Instead I took the offer at Gateway 2000 in South Dakota for $40k, and not only was it the best job I ever had,
It's so weird to look at late 90s tech salaries vs the insanity of today.
Right? that part caught me off guard too.
GORDON wrote: I was never a "if you aren't doing 60 hours a week (unpaid), then you aren't devoted enough" person. I could do my job in 30 hours and be good to go, but god help you, in some shops, if you're hitting the door at 5:05, work done, or not.

A union fixes that.
I get here about an hour late every day lately. Prior to the second bathroom upstairs going under construction it was only about 30 minutes. I leave at 4:50 daily. Additionally, I work from home whenever I want. My schedule is pretty typical for the salaried people here. Unless you're hourly, you're never here on time. Of course, I also get calls around the clock, have to come in at a moment's notice, eat at my desk during 4 out of 5 days, work nights whenever needed, etc.

Still, my boss's attitude is "Is your work done? Then I don't care what hours you work." It's quite refreshing to not be a slave to some arbitrary times on the clock.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Gateway 2k was like that (aforementioned best job I ever had), not really caring what hours were worked as long as it got done. We also did 4-10 hour days, if you wanted. 3 days weekends every week. Sigh.

The other shops weren't like that. Cabela's was the worst of them, micromanaging and pulling you to the office if you frequently left on time.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Back on the road after a week with my parents somehow fixing nearly everything the inspector flagged on the house.

But a short road - I'm just across the bay in the city for a few weeks. My buddy captured this when he woke up on Chicago time and went for a run. It ain't all poop and hippies: