California - Because it needs its own thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Vince

Post by Vince »

That would be what would happen to mine. Sometimes he'll hear a coyote at night and he'll look at me like, "We're going in now, right?" and sometimes he wants to pull me towards where the calls are coming from like he's going to make a new friend or something.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

We had coyotes living near the airfield when I was stationed in New Mexico. We'd hear them howling at night, but they never came near us.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

Brief scare this morning when I realized a quote for a sewer check to the tune of 7,500 was not a confirmation of work, and was just a quote.

Sewer Lateral certificates are required for most homes sold in Oakland and Berkley areas. Very expensive and you have to place further money into escrow with the utility so it would have tied up $10k+. Called the utility fearing the worst. They told me our future house was two blocks away from the required "line".

Phhhewww. I mean we'll get it cleaned up eventually, but at least we can get a dining table and chairs first.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Who knew making it cost too much to run a business in California would have negative results?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

I'm still plugged into the real estate feed so seeing sale prices on houses we bid on but lost or were going to bid on but didn't need to. Our "backup" house that seemed like a safe fallback ended up going out of our price range, and went from pending to sold in less than two weeks - AKA an all cash offer. Holy shit. Our 20 days escrow seemed a herculean effort by the bank/title/appraiser et all. Summer IPO's are making things even worse. Crazytown.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I don't envy anyone in that market. Except realtors.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I don't envy anyone in that market. Except realtors.
Truth.

The sad part is when the good times end, and the realtors go through the bust phase.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Woke up on the east coast from texts and calls from the wife. 4.5 earthquake just rattled the east bay pretty good. Epicenter about 10 miles from the house. Strong enough that the whole bay felt it by the sounds of things.

Not damaging, but didn't sound fun and definitely pretty damn scary.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Troy wrote: Woke up on the east coast from texts and calls from the wife. 4.5 earthquake just rattled the east bay pretty good. Epicenter about 10 miles from the house. Strong enough that the whole bay felt it by the sounds of things.

Not damaging, but didn't sound fun and definitely pretty damn scary.
Glad everyone is safe.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: Glad everyone is safe.
What he said.
Troy

Post by Troy »

New round of PGE power shut offs this weekend to avoid another Paradise type fire. This time I got a text and email and our house is on the map. Sucks but better than a fire i guess.

Flying home today - meeting my parents at the sf airport for their first visit to new house! May just be a dark weekend.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

What's the reasoning behind that? It seems kind of "Well fuck you, then" since they had to pay for the last fire. How do they figure rolling blackouts will prevent the next one?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Troy

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: What's the reasoning behind that? It seems kind of "Well fuck you, then" since they had to pay for the last fire. How do they figure rolling blackouts will prevent the next one?
Rolling blackouts were Enron related energy saving bullshit, right?

These are specific area wide shutdowns during peak wind and dryness periods. By shutting down the lines they hope to stop fire storms created by branches falling on hot lines.

That’s my understanding anyway, but I’m no EE. I know I don’t want to breath any more people-smoke, that’s for sure.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: By shutting down the lines they hope to stop fire storms created by branches falling on hot lines.
That's basically it.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I should have just waited a few minutes and found this article:

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environm ... -blackouts

Bless your hearts, California.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I support the move. It would be irritating, but as Troy says, "better than a fire".
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I need articles like that when it's Summer in the South and I dream of their weather.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

2CxU6NT2c09bJPc-o2vB3kOt2cNfmK2yOYCG8voFLLo.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Power out at about 9pm. Likely out until Monday. Not sure how to watch the game yet.