Duck Dynasty Guy

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Blah blah gays blah blah Bible. Whatever, who cares. It's all just a football for the REAL game:

which set of White people is better.

The answer: NOT the rednecks. Duh.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

So hate speech is fine, as long as it's something the MSM agrees with?

Got it!
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Specifically, there's one America where comparing homosexuality to bestiality is considered acceptable, and another where it is rude and offensive.

What about those of us who find it rude and offensive, AND acceptable?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

People watch that show? Fucking why?
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Malcolm wrote:People watch that show? Fucking why?
I don't watch the show, but I do like that country folk with big bushy beards can be popular and have their faces on tshirts and stuff. I know they disturb hippies.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Rest of the cast quits until dad is brought back.

This is getting interesting.

Will A&E continue to pretend like they give a fuck about what the dad said and hold him to his suspension, appeasing people who don't watch the show? Or will they appease the cast of their top ranked show, and the people who actually watch it?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

And actually, what this feels like to me is a backlash. People who have always had an idea that homosexuality wasn't "normal," or even had no opinion at all, have been told for the last 20 years that being gay is just great, and those people are actually better than you so let's make them a protected class. People are nagged. Scolded. Told over and over. They keep silent about it, because they don't actually care THAT much. And now something like this happens, and it becomes a lightning rod.... people want to take the side of the guy who shared an opinion unpopular with people who look down on them anyway, and it becomes a thing.

The last couple years I have become a bit of a troll.... I really enjoying just irritating hippies with their hippie opinions and political views. I'm the guy who says WHOA WE GOT 6 INCHES OF GLOBAL WARMING LAST NIGHT just to smirk at the the really serious people who get pissy and start posting their hockey stick graphs and whatnot. I find that amusing. I wouldn't kick an anthill just to watch them scurry, but hippies aren't innocent.

That's why I threw a "Like" on the "Boycott A&E" facebook group. I don't actually care all that much, but I might annoy a hippie, and that's good.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

This guy says A&E has never liked the show, because it didn't make rednecks look stupid.

http://www.ncregister.com/blog....om-them

It seems what the producers intended and what A&E envisioned with the show is much different than the show that they ended up with, but they didn't do anything about it because it was so wildly popular and so wildly profitable. But even with all the money, they have never really been comfortable with what happened.

This is what happened. The whole idea of the show was to parade these nouveau riche Christian hillbillies around so that we could laugh at them. "Look at them," we were supposed to say. "Look how backward they are! Look what they believe! Can you believe they really live this way and believe this stuff? See how they don't fit in? HAHAHA"

When the producers saw the way the show was shaping up, different than they envisioned it, they tried to change course. They tried to get the Robertson's to tone down their Christianity, but to their eternal credit they refused. They tried to add fake cussin' to the show by inserting bleeps where no cussword was uttered. At best, they wanted to make the Robertson's look like crass buffoons. At worst they wanted them to look like hypocrites.

They desperately wanted us to laugh at the Robertsons. Instead, we loved them.

A&E wanted us to point fingers at them and laugh at them. But something else happened entirely. Millions upon millions of people tuned in, not to laugh at them, but to laugh with them.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

My care level for this whole issue is used up just by reading this thread.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

We'll put it in the Care Bank for your later use.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Original article

That is nowhere near as bad as what I've been hearing.

This is the part in question:
“Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong,” he says. “Sin becomes fine.”

What, in your mind, is sinful?

“Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,” he says. Then he paraphrases Corinthians: “Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers—they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”

He's paraphrasing a book.

I heard that he was claiming that homosexuality lead to bestiality, which is not what he said, unless he also meant that bestiality leads to sleeping with multiple women.

There's also this part:
“It seems like, to me, a vagina—as a man—would be more desirable than a man’s anus. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.”

I've seen guy dudes say that vagina is gross. Who cares?

He even goes on to say, “We never, ever judge someone on who’s going to heaven, hell. That’s the Almighty’s job. We just love ’em, give ’em the good news about Jesus—whether they’re homosexuals, drunks, terrorists. We let God sort ’em out later, you see what I’m saying?”

What it boils down to is that he said hetreosexual sex is better (an opinion which he says is personal), and he says that the Bible says that homosexuality is a sin, but it's up to God to judge, not us.

A whole lot of this seems to be people waiting to be offended and then jumping at the chance.
Is that opinion of a side character on a cable reality show so important?

Edited By Paul on 1387586092
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I think the link I posted pretty much summed it up. The easily offended wanted a bunch of rednecks to laugh at, and it backfired huge.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

...he says that the Bible says that homosexuality is a sin, but it's up to God to judge, not us.

Would have been awesome if god mentioned that to the dudes who wrote his divinely inspired word. Telling them to write down its moral value in a book for the ages seems judgey. Then again, the Bible is just a collection of books that a fuckload of old, dead dudes declared canon. They usually don't consider all the ones that get tossed for reasons that don't stem from the almighty.

Edited By Malcolm on 1387595711
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Paul

Post by Paul »

The Duck Dynasty brothers before the beards:
http://starcasm.net/archives/185517
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I always assumed they had a Darth Malak thing going on.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Cracker Barrel removed DD merchandise from their stores, got slammed for it, and are now putting it back.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion....ig-time

Tellin ya, people are so pissed that it feels like backlash.

Edited By GORDON on 1387752086
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I'm a bit surprised they pulled it in the first place.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Gordon, dare ya to post something about this on FB:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_blacklist

The Hollywood blacklist—as the broader entertainment industry blacklist is generally known—was the mid-20th-century practice of denying employment to screenwriters, actors, directors, musicians, and other U.S. entertainment professionals because of their suspected political beliefs or associations
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

thibodeaux wrote:Gordon, dare ya to post something about this on FB:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_blacklist
The Hollywood blacklist—as the broader entertainment industry blacklist is generally known—was the mid-20th-century practice of denying employment to screenwriters, actors, directors, musicians, and other U.S. entertainment professionals because of their suspected political beliefs or associations
Dare taken, and posted without comment.

Granted, I have already unfriended most of the people who would be bothered by it.