How do you think?

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
TheCatt
Site Admin

How do you think?

Post by TheCatt »

If you are thinking, are you basically having a conversation with yourself? Like you "hear" the words, your voice saying them?

Apparently some people don't? And think in pictures or such? Like when I'm typing this, is just like how I think about things.
It's not me, it's someone else.
thibodeaux

How do you think?

Post by thibodeaux »

are you high?
TheCatt
Site Admin

How do you think?

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: are you high?
No, I'm being serious. Some people do not think in words, and I'm having issues figuring out what that feels like.
Troy

How do you think?

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote:
thibodeaux wrote: are you high?
No, I'm being serious. Some people do not think in words, and I'm having issues figuring out what that feels like.
That’s me. Highly visual mind. When I think about problems I often picture solutions in my head. My thought processes are never like this textbox, which is reflected by the way I need to edit the shit out of posts sometime to get my message across.
Leisher
Site Admin

How do you think?

Post by Leisher »

I hear my voice when I'm talking to myself.

When I'm solving things I visualize.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

How do you think?

Post by Cakedaddy »

Both. I will narrate scenes. When there is no scene (math), there's some weird abstract visualization going on that I could never describe other than, I'm putting shapes together in my head when doing math, but I couldn't draw them. And for what it's worth, math has always been very easy for me, my favorite subject, and one of the only ones I did well in. My lack of an attention span prevented me from doing well in memorization classes (history, government, English, etc). I did better in the sciences (math, chemistry, physics). Math was never about memorization to me.

As I typed that, I imagined us in a room together talking. It wasn't just words, there's always a scene. I can't imagine I'm alone in this.
GORDON
Site Admin

How do you think?

Post by GORDON »

I just do what the voices say.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

How do you think?

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I hear my voice when I'm talking to myself.

When I'm solving things I visualize.
This is what I do. Most of the time, there's a voice in my head, talking or narrating things. I can visualize 3d items, rotate them in my head, etc, but I'm still 'telling' myself what to do. As I type this, the words are popping up in my head, and I write them down, but it's just like I'm typing thoughts, instead of just thinking them.
Cakedaddy wrote: It wasn't just words, there's always a scene.
There's only a scene for me, if I make myself think of a scene. You mentioned "us in a room together talking," so I pictured that. But, normally, no scene. Just me talking.

My wife does not have the constant narrator in her head. She pretty much always has pictures. The exception is when she's writing stories/books, but then it's her characters' voices in her head doing their various parts.
TheCatt
Site Admin

How do you think?

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON
Site Admin

How do you think?

Post by GORDON »

When I'm writing I call it "trancing.". I put on appropriate music and go into my head and write for two hours, just transcribing what the character is telling me. After, I have to go back.and see what I wrote to find out what's going on.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

How do you think?

Post by Leisher »

I don't understand the people who see sound.

Yes, this is a legit thing. Google it.

It has to be amazing.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

How do you think?

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: don't understand the people who see sound.
I dunno, seems like it'd get in the way of my vision, right?

Some people cannot visualize at all (aphantasia), which has to be really weird.
TheCatt
Site Admin

How do you think?

Post by TheCatt »

One interesting thing about this discussion. When talking about it with my wife, because she doesn't have the constant narration, she sometimes has... and this will sound wrong, but, she has no thoughts going on. Whereas I pretty constantly have this voice going.

Well, it means I'm often thinking of things (often divorced from where I am physically), and she'' interrupt me cuz it looks like I'm not doing anything, whereas I'm really deep in thought. But that's just how I am, all the time. Whereas is she's really thinking about something, you can tell a difference.
Leisher
Site Admin

How do you think?

Post by Leisher »

I have to sleep with some noise in the background (music or TV) to drown out the voice or it'll keep me up all night.
TheCatt
Site Admin

How do you think?

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I have to sleep with some noise in the background (music or TV) to drown out the voice or it'll keep me up all night.
I've come up with a routine where I change the voice to think a "different way" for lack of better word, and that helps me fall asleep. Like I sent it to some imaginary world.

My wife: I just close my eyes, and tell myself it bedtime.

I'm a little jealous. Sometimes I just keep thinking and end up awake another 2 to 3 hours.
Leisher
Site Admin

How do you think?

Post by Leisher »

I have a trick where if it starts going down a path I don't want to travel, I open my eyes fully. That seems to allow me to alter what the voice is talking about.
thibodeaux

How do you think?

Post by thibodeaux »

GORDON wrote: I just do what the voices say.
https://medium.com/understanding-us/the ... f57db770a6
Jaynes believed that up until as recently as 3,000 years ago, the ubiquitous state of mind was one in which one side of the brain spoke, while the other listened and obeyed. The voices were experienced as auditory hallucinations, and Jaynes theorized that this lead people to believe the voices were coming from God.

Consciousness to Jaynes meant “that which is introspectable.” Those of our not-so-distant past who had a bicameral mind could not introspect, therefore they were not conscious. Jaynes uses Homer’s epic Iliad as an example wherein the characters never seem to have inner thoughts in the way we perceive them today. They seem much more like automatons.
There exist people who cannot speak to themselves, often due to global aphasia — damage to two important speech areas of the brain, usually caused by a stroke. This loss unfortunately damages the person’s sense of self, a characteristic that’s also present in Autism spectrum disorders.
TheCatt
Site Admin

How do you think?

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I just do what the voices say.
I hate the stigma around mental health

Immediately when I got medication for schizophrenia, my friends wouldn't talk to me anymore.
Leisher
Site Admin

How do you think?

Post by Leisher »

Ha!