Uber Driver Not Guilty of Murdering Passenger

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

https://kdvr.com/2019/10/10/uber-driver ... ot-guilty/

There's a whole lot of wtf in this story:
Hancock [the male driver] said the 45-year-old Kim [the male passenger] made unwanted sexual advances and attacked him when Hancock threatened to pull over during the June 1, 2018 ride.

Prosecutors said Hancock stopped the car, went to the front passenger side where Kim was sitting and fired 10 bullets from his semi-automatic handgun. At least five struck Kim.

Hancock, who was not seriously injured, then put a knife in Kim's hand to get his fingerprints on it, authorities said.

Hancock testified that he kept the knife under his seat and put it in Kim's hand to see if he was still alive.[lmao yeah right]

The fatal ride began after Hancock picked up Kim at a karaoke bar. Kim's original destination was 2 miles away.

Surveillance video showed Hancock's car arriving at that location. But Kim -- who was drunk -- did not get out of the car.

Uber records showed that by the time the shooting occurred, the car had traveled about 70 miles from the spot where Kim was picked up.
Prosecutors said it was possible Kim did not get out at his original destination because he passed out and Hancock drove around to increase the fare.
If you're just gonna drive to increase the fare...wouldn't you drive in a loop near where you're gonna need to drop the guy off? Not just head off into the sunset.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

How the fuck was he found not guilty??
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Kim punched the driver in the face and reached for the steering wheel and ignition, Stuart told jurors in her closing argument.

Hancock tried to jump out of his still-rolling car, but Kim attempted to pull him back by his dreadlocks, prompting Hancock to grab his gun, Stuart said.

The prosecutors also acknowledged there was a fight inside the car, and it was probably started by Kim, possibly after he woke up startled and was upset about being driven around in the car.

Hancock had swelling above his eyebrow after the killing, according to police photographs.

Kim had bruises on his right hand, autopsy photos showed. However, prosecutors said Hancock's injury was not serious enough for him to have reasonably feared for his life.

Prosecutors did not offer a motive.

Stuart said Hancock worked as an Uber driver to supplement his modest income from his job at a youth group home and drove at night to avoid missing family time.

She told jurors it did not make sense that he would throw his life away by killing Kim for no reason.
I dunno if this was a case where a lesser charge might have stuck but the prosecutor got greedy. Or if it was just an OJ jury. Who the hell knows.

Black man kills Asian homo...who's oppressing whom?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: .wouldn't you drive in a loop near where you're gonna need to drop the guy off?
If you drive in a loop, Uber's algorithms will flag it as suspicious. If you make it look like the destination changed... you get paid.

The whole situation sounds messed up.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

thibodeaux wrote: Stuart said Hancock worked as an Uber driver to supplement his modest income from his job at a youth group home and drove at night to avoid missing family time.
(If I'm reading this story right) The guy got out of the car, walked around to the other side, and then fired 10 fucking times. Does he teach that at the youth group home?

Call me crazy, but if he exited the car, he was no longer in immediate danger.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Leisher wrote: Call me crazy, but if he exited the car, he was no longer in immediate danger.
BTW, that is the exact situation that "stand your ground" addresses. Most people (thanks to media) think "stand your ground" means you can kill someone in self-defense, and in the absence of "stand your ground" laws you're not allowed to kill in self-defense (I guess you just have to let the "teen" beat your ass to death). It actually means you do NOT have a "duty to retreat." Duty to retreat means that if you can get away from the person threatening you, you MUST attempt to do that before using deadly force in self-defense.

Overall, yes, IMO this guy is extremely lucky he beat the rap.
Vince

Post by Vince »

thibodeaux wrote:
Leisher wrote: Call me crazy, but if he exited the car, he was no longer in immediate danger.
BTW, that is the exact situation that "stand your ground" addresses. Most people (thanks to media) think "stand your ground" means you can kill someone in self-defense, and in the absence of "stand your ground" laws you're not allowed to kill in self-defense (I guess you just have to let the "teen" beat your ass to death). It actually means you do NOT have a "duty to retreat." Duty to retreat means that if you can get away from the person threatening you, you MUST attempt to do that before using deadly force in self-defense.

Overall, yes, IMO this guy is extremely lucky he beat the rap.
*liked*
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren