I'm offended! & Cancel Culture

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Troy

I'm offended!

Post by Troy »

Tweet tags letting me down.
Leisher
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote:
Leisher wrote: Why is there any controversy at all? Unless he was intentionally screaming it AT the women, including the one with the purple band (the meaning of which is news to me), with the intent of making some point about how that guy's domestic violence stuff means nothing and women can go fuck themselves, why is this a story?
?
This is the allegation, yes. As backed up my multiple reporters who were not the women in the room. Yelling it 10 times or so in their faces. I can't confirm or anything, but that's what other non SI reporters were saying, at least from what I was reading yesterday.
Thanks for the info. However, it still doesn't add up to me unless the executive is just a bitter fucking person who, for some reason, is still completely hung up on...I don't know what. Maybe he hates women? (Where's Gordon when we need an expert on the subject?)

Osuna smacked around a woman and was suspended for 75 games. The Astros then traded to get him at a bargain. Osuna then went on to fuck up in that game. What would the executive be holding a grudge about? What would he be celebrating?

Unless...he was sick of hearing about Osuna all year long by the MSM, and thus, he unleashed the tirade at the very people who kept questioning the move. I'd like that possibility vetted. If he wasn't reacting to the group of women, but an individual woman who happened to be in that group, then the story would make sense.

Also, SI adding in the part about the purple domestic abuse awareness bracelet is meant to influence the reader.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

I'm offended!

Post by Troy »

Seems like a pretty simple chain of events for the Assistant GM:

1. Osuna is bad DV guy
2. Get suspended for a while by MLB
3. Despite that, Astro's trade for him, lots of criticism ensues
4. Astro's make it to the WS with Osuna
5. Following game that got them to the WS, Assistant GM gets very "i told you so"
6. Finds people who criticized the decision, yells in their faces that trade and criticism was all worth it: "the ends justify the means"
Last edited by Troy on Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheCatt
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: Tweet tags letting me down.
You have to get rid of the url strings (? and on)
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: 6. Finds people who criticized the decision, yells in their faces that trade and criticism was all worth it: "the ends justify the means"
I'm NOT fine with the DV. However, I am fine with someone giving someone else a shit sandwich to eat if it's deserved. Although, I do not agree with "the ends justify the means". They can, but if you're ignoring ethics and morals to do so then "the ends" have to be saving the human race or something.

It sucks that the poster boy here is a DV guy because otherwise this would be a fabulous example of "fuck cancel culture".

And honestly, as shitty and scummy as a DV guy is, does he deserve never being able to work again? Doesn't that also hurt his victim(s) as he can't pay them or support them going forward?

Isn't it a huge contradiction to say "Convicts have done their time and should be given another chance to become productive members of society doing whatever they choose", but also saying "This person did [some action], which means they should no longer be able to work in their chosen profession"?

He did his 75 days and whatever other stipulations were added on. I didn't see where he and MLB also agreed he should never play the game again.

And please understand that I think DV people should probably be put down.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

I'm offended!

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote:
Troy wrote: 6. Finds people who criticized the decision, yells in their faces that trade and criticism was all worth it: "the ends justify the means"
I'm NOT fine with the DV. However, I am fine with someone giving someone else a shit sandwich to eat if it's deserved. Although, I do not agree with "the ends justify the means". They can, but if you're ignoring ethics and morals to do so then "the ends" have to be saving the human race or something.

It sucks that the poster boy here is a DV guy because otherwise this would be a fabulous example of "fuck cancel culture".

And honestly, as shitty and scummy as a DV guy is, does he deserve never being able to work again? Doesn't that also hurt his victim(s) as he can't pay them or support them going forward?

Isn't it a huge contradiction to say "Convicts have done their time and should be given another chance to become productive members of society doing whatever they choose", but also saying "This person did [some action], which means they should no longer be able to work in their chosen profession"?

He did his 75 days and whatever other stipulations were added on. I didn't see where he and MLB also agreed he should never play the game again.

And please understand that I think DV people should probably be put down.
You are kind of making a lot of strawman arguments here. I didn’t say any part of this, nor are the reporters and media when talking about this issue, to my knowledge.

They are saying it was quite inappropriate to rub it in female reporter faces how good a decision it was to employ a DV abuser after his suspension. And it is.
Last edited by Troy on Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
GORDON
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by GORDON »

Is it their job to report on the game, or be offended?

"Can't send Karen into the locker room, she makes a federal case over everything."
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Troy

I'm offended!

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Is it their job to report on the game, or be offended?

"Can't send Karen into the locker room, she makes a federal case over everything."
Another comment that has absolutely nothing to do with the issue.

It was inappropriate. Period.

They knew it when they denied it, and they sure as hell knew it 24 hours when they walked back over their previous statement.
Last edited by Troy on Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GORDON
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by GORDON »

I say we take him out back and beat the shit out of him.
TheCatt
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by TheCatt »

The guy apologized
Taubman, on Tuesday, said he was "deeply sorry and embarrassed."

"In retrospect, I realize that my comments were unprofessional and inappropriate. My overexuberance in support of a player has been misinterpreted as a demonstration of a regressive attitude about an important social issue," he said.

MLB said in a statement that "everyone in baseball must use care to not engage in any behavior — whether intentional or not — that could be construed as minimizing the egregiousness of an act of domestic violence."

"The Astros have disputed Sports Illustrated's characterization of the incident. MLB will interview those involved before commenting further," it said.
Leisher
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: You are kind of making a lot of strawman arguments here. I didn’t say any part of this, nor are the reporters and media when talking about this issue, to my knowledge.
I disagree.

First of all, I'm not debating you in the slightest (until 2 lines above... :D ). Just expressing my feelings on the issue.

Secondly, the reporters absolutely are making the "cancel culture" argument when they continually ask the same questions over and over about why the Astros would go after said pitcher with his past. I think to claim otherwise would not only be a lie, but would indicate there is an attempt being made to cover up true motive for continuing to ask the same questions over and over. Remember: Ray Rice - Career Over. Kareem Hunt - 8 game suspension and people want his career over. Adrian Peterson - Used a switch on his kid. I forget how long his suspension was, but people want his career over. Big Ben - 2 rape accusations, 1 of which was proven to be completely fabricated. No criminal charges ever filed. People wanted his career to be over anyway. Ray Lewis - Not guilty of murder, but people wanted his career ended anyway. And so on...

So let's say you're right and they're not pushing this agenda. Then that just means they're greedy, self serving scum who have no problem continuing to push a story to further their own career at the expense of others. How is that better?
Troy wrote: They are saying it was quite inappropriate to rub it in female reporter faces how good a decision it was to employ a DV abuser after his suspension. And it is.
Is it? So was it inappropriate to keep asking about employing that person? Was it inappropriate to beat that dead horse into the ground? Are we really supposed to be shocked when someone who has been persecuted over a hire lashes out when that hire proves to have worked out?

Should a mature and "bigger person" have just celebrated and not tried to show up a person or persons who have clearly pissed him off? Absolutely.

Should the team have tried to defend him? No, but maybe they were sick of it too.

Should the MSM constantly ask about the same subject over and over, yet still try to claim the moral high ground? ("We don't want that person unemployed! We're just going to ask you about him (or her) every day until they don't have a job anymore...") No.

Should the story really be pointing out the purple domestic abuse awareness "whatever", as if the guy would have any fucking clue about it? No. That little detail being included shows how the MSM is being as petty as the guy.
Leisher
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by Leisher »

Kmart Australia pulls "inappropriate" child's costume.

First of all, Kmart still exists?

Secondly, how sad is it that this costume is considered inappropriate?
Cakedaddy

I'm offended!

Post by Cakedaddy »

I guess all the little girls who dream about getting married can go fuck themselves.
Vince

I'm offended!

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: Secondly, how sad is it that this costume is considered inappropriate?
I'm assuming baby dolls would also be inappropriate for this mother's child.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote:
GORDON wrote: Is it their job to report on the game, or be offended?

Another comment that has absolutely nothing to do with the issue.

It was inappropriate. Period.

They knew it when they denied it, and they sure as hell knew it 24 hours when they walked back over their previous statement.
Fired
Leisher
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fired
No shocker. If you're not big enough to directly contribute to your team winning or company making profit, then you're expendable.

That being said, who does this help? How many fewer significant others will be beaten because this guy was fired? Doesn't this simply make that guy and his family angrier and more bitter?
GORDON
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by GORDON »

A big win for domestic violence.
Troy

I'm offended!

Post by Troy »

Happy to be part of a culture that thinks being trash like this is in a public facing role deserves a firing.

More jobs for decent people.
Leisher
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: Happy to be part of a culture that thinks being trash like this is in a public facing role deserves a firing.
But how do you feel about the actual domestic abuser still being employed?
Troy wrote: More jobs for decent people.
I like the sentiment, but reality says it's bullshit. All this does is tell people it's fine to sign the abusive player, just don't celebrate the signing. Basically, do what Cleveland did with Kareem Hunt.
Troy

I'm offended!

Post by Troy »

I’m fine with it as an early step signaling a change in perception on the matter and as a message that public opinion is moving in the right direction.

It’s not going to happen over night, just like we aren’t going to solve the plastic problem by flipping a switch on straw and bag usage. Each step is a gradual move in the right direction.

We can cross our arms and be intractable because we think it’s useless if we want to - but nonetheless, it is small, actual progress.