I'm offended! & Cancel Culture

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Cakedaddy

I'm offended!

Post by Cakedaddy »

Troy wrote: - but nonetheless, it is small, actual progress.
Just like me boycotting EA is making a difference.
Troy

I'm offended!

Post by Troy »

Cakedaddy wrote:
Troy wrote: - but nonetheless, it is small, actual progress.
Just like me boycotting EA is making a difference.
That their stock price is still sub 100 is a good sign sentiment like yours at least matters.

Peaked at 150 last year.

I’ll let Catt tell me why I’m right or wrong - but isn’t the overall market up?
TheCatt
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: I’ll let Catt tell me why I’m right or wrong - but isn’t the overall market up?
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: it is small, actual progress.
I disagree. And don't get me wrong. Asshole got fired for being an asshole. No argument there.

But is this progress?

Again, who exactly benefited from this move? He will become more jaded as will his friends and family who think he got railroaded. Ditto for anyone who thinks his move was not "wrong". (I quote that because I don't think everyone who would disagree with his firing thinks what he did was ok. I certainly don't.) So more hate gets created. It can't be directed at pro-domestic abuse because that's just stupid, so it will be directed at "cancel culture", which means some other cause will take the brunt of it.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, knew who the fuck this guy was before this incident. He's an easy scapegoat. His anonymity made him expendable. But what if it was Verlander who did this? You really think the Astros would have released him right before going to a World Series? You're delusional if you believe so.

So again, how was this progress?

Also, (and I'm not picking on you I SWEAR but this one thing drives me fucking insane and I really want someone to explain the logic to me) can you please explain why it's awesome that someone like this gets fired versus being educated, and perhaps being sent to do some community work to spread that educated word?

And why does someone getting out of prison, for whatever crime, deserve a shot at his choice of career, but guys like the yelling asshole don't?

The logic of it all just makes zero sense to me. Shouldn't we be educating over terminating? Doesn't scorching the Earth where people who say and do things we don't like just create more problems for the future?

And keep in mind, I fully get how being an asshole gets you fired. I honestly don't have an issue with his termination from that perspective. Although, I do still have an issue with how the MSM presented the story, which was extremely manipulative.

I just don't understand how this is a win for society.

Apologies for ranting. I'm Italian, it's what we do. :D
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Again, who exactly benefited from this move? He will become more jaded as will his friends and family who think he got railroaded. Ditto for anyone who thinks his move was not "wrong". (I quote that because I don't think everyone who would disagree with his firing thinks what he did was ok. I certainly don't.) So more hate gets created. It can't be directed at pro-domestic abuse because that's just stupid, so it will be directed at "cancel culture", which means some other cause will take the brunt of it.
I think that's the short-term, the micro if you will.
Leisher wrote: He's an easy scapegoat. His anonymity made him expendable. But what if it was Verlander who did this? You really think the Astros would have released him right before going to a World Series? You're delusional if you believe so.
No argument on the former, hard to know on the latter, but you're probably right.
Leisher wrote: So again, how was this progress?
Because people will be more thoughtful? Because culture as a whole may improve?
Leisher wrote: Also, (and I'm not picking on you I SWEAR but this one thing drives me fucking insane and I really want someone to explain the logic to me) can you please explain why it's awesome that someone like this gets fired versus being educated, and perhaps being sent to do some community work to spread that educated word?
Actions need to have consequences, I think we can all agree on that. What the consequences are, we can debate depending on the situation. The guy's 34 years old, he should be smarter than this. Community service probably not enough punishment, firing felt a little bit harsh to me.
Leisher wrote: The logic of it all just makes zero sense to me. Shouldn't we be educating over terminating? Doesn't scorching the Earth where people who say and do things we don't like just create more problems for the future?
I mostly agree. But the older you get, the less likely I am to vote for education. Since you should know better.
GORDON
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by GORDON »

At least it fits well with this thread.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: I think that's the short-term, the micro if you will.
I honestly hope so, but where's the proof to counter it?

All things/movements have the rubber band effect. The more you stretch them, the harder they come back. My whole point here is that the cancel culture is stretching that thing as far as it will go. I want them to stop and simply pull it back only as far as needed.
TheCatt wrote: Actions need to have consequences, I think we can all agree on that.
Yep.
What the consequences are, we can debate depending on the situation. The guy's 34 years old, he should be smarter than this. Community service probably not enough punishment, firing felt a little bit harsh to me.
TheCatt wrote: I mostly agree. But the older you get, the less likely I am to vote for education. Since you should know better.
Those two fit my reply here.

Not everyone grows up under the same circumstances. Lots of folks, kids and adults, have done stupid shit only to learn later why their actions were wrong.

Should he have known better? Yeah.
Is his termination going to help anyone at all? No.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by GORDON »

Unless his contract said something about maintaining good PR, he should sue for wrongful termination. He didn't break any laws, he didn't beat anyone, he just triggered someone who wanted to be triggered, and by proxy other people.

Not a crime, I don't care how offended you are.
TheCatt
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by TheCatt »

I kinda think no back to what Germany did with Nazis, and what the US did with Confederates.

Neonazis exist, but they sure are less frequent than racist Southerners
Troy

I'm offended!

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Unless his contract said something about maintaining good PR, he should sue for wrongful termination. He didn't break any laws, he didn't beat anyone, he just triggered someone who wanted to be triggered, and by proxy other people.

Not a crime, I don't care how offended you are.
Nobody said anything about a crime. Its a business decision. The team’s choice to show they don’t employ trash humans in managerial, public facing roles. Feel free to send them a strongly worded letter about how you support the ex assistant GM. I’m sure they’ll take it under consideration.

Welcome to America, where, outside of Colorado, an employer can fire you for any reason at any time. Unless you have otherwise written in an employment contract - which are rare these days and usually just have severance packages.
Leisher
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Neonazis exist, but they sure are less frequent than racist Southerners
And those Southerners are far less frequent than the progressives who think minorities need all the help they can get because they're incapable of succeeding on their own.
Troy wrote: Welcome to America, where,
...people think they can solve ignorance through ignorance, bigotry via bigotry, and hate through hate.
TheCatt
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: And those Southerners are far less frequent than the progressives who think minorities need all the help they can get because they're incapable of succeeding on their own.
Maybe you've never actually lived in the South.
GORDON
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by GORDON »

Vince, tell them your insight on the difference between northern and southern racism
Leisher
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: And those Southerners are far less frequent than the progressives who think minorities need all the help they can get because they're incapable of succeeding on their own.
Maybe you've never actually lived in the South.
I have and I believe farther south than you? I lived right on the Gulf.

I just know through my own experiences and via the word of friends, majority and minority, that the overt racists aren't the ones most people worry about.
GORDON
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by GORDON »

There are people.calling for him to be fired, too.

https://m.fark.com/goto/10601535/www.ha ... r-video-ci
Leisher
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by Leisher »

Fire him? That's going easy, don't you think? Just kill him and re-purpose his body for scientific testing or agriculture.
GORDON
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by GORDON »

BURY HIM IN THE SAME HOLE
TheCatt
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: BURY HIM IN THE SAME HOLE
Now you're talking. Treat the trash like the trash he is
GORDON
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by GORDON »

I was being silly. As long as he ends up homeless with his kids starving, I think justice is served.
Cakedaddy

I'm offended!

Post by Cakedaddy »

Given that my boycott started in 2001, I'd say it had about as much impact on EA as paper straws do on the environment. Since EA does so many other things, than service me, they didn't feel my actions.

Since there's so much that goes into the environment, the impact straws have is immeasurable. One could argue that I hurt myself more by not playing awesome EA games for the last 18 years than I hurt them by not buying them. Much like the paper straw that left a shitty after taste in my mouth and forced me to drink my smoothie super fast so I could finish it before the straw completely failed, hurt me more than it helped the environment.