Dollar General

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Dollar General

Post by Leisher »

Wants to attract wealthier customers.

Step 1: Change your name.
Step 2: Maybe make your stores NOT look like they balong in Bahgdad...in late 1990.
Step 3: Stop selling cheap shit.

This is a true story:
A Dollar General opened up on a busy street in Toledo about 1 year ago. They built the building from the ground up. It is between two major intersections separated by half a mile (I just measured it). At one of the intersections sat a Family Video, which is now being converted to a Dollar General. The newly built Dollar General sits 75% of that half mile away.

I hope a third location opens up between them.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Dollar General

Post by Leisher »

Dollar stores help to keep minorities and the poor down.

This is very true. I watch minorities try to walk past them only to be forced inside at gunpoint to buy cheap shit and unhealthy food.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Dollar General

Post by Vince »

We sit between two towns about 5 minutes in each direction. One has about 2k people. Two gas stations (one with a wide array of gas station foods), two restaurants (one which is open only for breakfast and lunch), one grocery store and one dollar store. In the other direction there's a town of about 750 with two gas stations, one restaurant and opening soon... a dollar store.

Many of these little towns can't support a regular grocery store. If not for the Dollar Store. they'd have nothing at all. Cuts down on the number of trips to larger neighboring towns. And provides some competition to the once grocery store in the area to help contain prices.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Dollar General

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Dollar General

Post by GORDON »

I'm generally not a fan of artificially inflating prices in order to keep a mom-n-pop in business.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Dollar General

Post by Leisher »

That's a fair point, but at what point is Dollar General considered to be cheating the system and a negative for a community?

This isn't a mall coming in to offer everything the mom and pop offered, but doing so cheaper and more conveniently.

This is a company actively making an effort to saturate markets to choke out existing businesses, prevent new ones from coming in, and offering crappy products. They're actively preventing a free market from existing.

It's nice to say consumers have a choice, but they really don't. Sure, some of us can boycott, but there are too many other people who need that convenience, cheap prices, or are simply ignorant of how supporting Dollar General actually hurts their shopping power. Their purchasing power fuels these supersized 7/11s, which in turn, hurts the power of those boycotting.

Two, maybe three, years ago I honestly couldn't tell you where the closest dollar store was to my house. I can now think of 5 immediately, and 3 of them are Dollar Generals and all are within 5 minutes of my home. 2 of them are, literally, separated by a 20 second drive.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Dollar General

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: This is a company actively making an effort to saturate markets to choke out existing businesses, prevent new ones from coming in, and offering crappy products. They're actively preventing a free market from existing.

It's nice to say consumers have a choice, but they really don't. Sure, some of us can boycott, but there are too many other people who need that convenience, cheap prices, or are simply ignorant of how supporting Dollar General actually hurts their shopping power.
Your argument seems to be "The free market is leading to prevention of the free market"
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Dollar General

Post by Leisher »

Not really, but the free market absolutely allows for someone to destroy the free market. That should be avoided.

I was more ranting about how more unethical businesses can take advantage of the free market, and take advantage of consumers, to circumvent actual competition and eliminate it. Like the dollar stores, the Epic Games Store, etc.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Dollar General

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: the free market absolutely allows for someone to destroy the free market. That should be avoided.
It does, and it probably should.
Leisher wrote: I was more ranting about how more unethical businesses can take advantage of the free market, and take advantage of consumers, to circumvent actual competition and eliminate it. Like the dollar stores, the Epic Games Store, etc.
Amazon?
Leisher
Site Admin

Dollar General

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: It does, and it probably should.
That's where I struggle. I'm a firm believer in a free market, but I also know that a completely free market would inevitably get overtaken by someone who would ensure the market wasn't free. That's what I feel dollar stores are doing, but on a more local basis.
TheCatt wrote: Amazon?
and Microsoft and Apple and Google and so on...
Vince

Dollar General

Post by Vince »

They will over saturate and someone will come in with something new and different to eventually take them out. The free market system is creative destruction cycles. Are these same people complaining about the Starbucks and avocado toast bar saturation in hipster areas? Those are like dollar stores for assholes.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Dollar General

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: Are these same people complaining about the Starbucks and avocado toast bar saturation in hipster areas? Those are like dollar stores for assholes.
lolol
GORDON
Site Admin

Dollar General

Post by GORDON »

I'm formulating a theory that carrying around Starbucks cups, and Apple products, is pretty much just a mating strategy. "Hey, look at my superficial and colorful plumage."

That shit doesn't fly when there's more predators than which most people usually have to deal. Then they get jacked, painting a target on themselves like that.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Dollar General

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Dollar General

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy

Dollar General

Post by Cakedaddy »

Well. . . that's not a problem limited to Family Dollar. Pretty much any place that has food, will have this problem. The worse the area (ghetto vs suburbs, industrial vs commercial) , the worse the problem is. If the neighborhood/area is neglected, they will run rampant. People didn't know this?!
Leisher
Site Admin

Dollar General

Post by Leisher »

I realize it's everywhere, but when it's bad enough you have to do a recall AFTER the FDA steps in you're doing something very wrong.

I've always lived with the knowledge that
chocolate is allowed to contain a certain percentage of cockroach.
Cakedaddy

Dollar General

Post by Cakedaddy »

Well, just know that EVERYTHING you have in your cupboards has had mouse turds on it. If not, mouse footprints at the very least!

Ok, maybe not everything. But, a very high percentage of it has.
Leisher
Site Admin

Dollar General

Post by Leisher »

49 employees killed since 2014.

Crime and workplace safety issues are the culprits.