Watch evolution

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Watch evolution

Post by Leisher »

Cells evolve due to introduction of a predator.

It happened over 50 weeks, but you can watch sped up videos.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Watch evolution

Post by Vince »

Renowned Yale Computer Science Prof Leaves Darwinism

Interesting take. I had never considered the mathematical odds of things.
Perhaps the biggest flaw with Darwinism, he writes, is how hard it would be to randomly make new functional proteins. Darwinian evolution depends a huge number of them. Our understanding of molecular biology developed after Darwin. His theory doesn’t fit well with this new understanding.

Gelernter summarizes the evidence. “Immense is so big, and tiny is so small, that neo-Darwinian evolution is — so far — a dead loss. Try to mutate your way from 150 links of gibberish to a working, useful protein and you are guaranteed to fail. Try it with ten mutations, a thousand, a million — you fail. The odds bury you. It can’t be done.”
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Watch evolution

Post by TheCatt »

He brings up the Cambrian Explosion, which we do have fossil evidence for (but did not in Darwin's time), and the work of Douglas Axe, who believes that his work is being mischaracterized (the mutation section is based on his work). Additionally, the math is being mischaracterized. Proteins are not random.

Life on this planet is estimated to have started 4 billion years ago. That's a long time for a lot of things to have happened.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Watch evolution

Post by GORDON »

New proteins, which are made with RNA and DNA blueprints, are pretty easy to make... when an RNA bit gets switched by a speck o' radiation, or whatever. The new protein doesn't need to be immediately helpful to an organism, it just needs to not immediately kill it.

That organism may evolve to use that new protein as a survival mechanism, or not. The cells of our body still utilize the citric acid style, even though we've developed much more efficient ways to generate ATP. The remnants of the more primitive systems are still there, because there was no reason to shake them.

And as Catt said, we've had an incomprehensible amount of time with an incomprehensible number of reproductive lifespans to try out an incomprehensible amount of combinations of proteins.

Winning the lottery is ludicrously impossible, but someone manages to do so almost every week. Mathematician suffers from a smaller than average amount of imagination.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

Watch evolution

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: He brings up the Cambrian Explosion, which we do have fossil evidence for
He's talking about not having fossil evidence from the precambrian period that were forerunners to the species from the Camrian era.
Leisher
Site Admin

Watch evolution

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: He's talking about not having fossil evidence from the precambrian period that were forerunners to the species from the Camrian era.
That's because the aliens never brought those animals.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Watch evolution

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote:
TheCatt wrote: He brings up the Cambrian Explosion, which we do have fossil evidence for
He's talking about not having fossil evidence from the precambrian period that were forerunners to the species from the Camrian era.
Yes, that is exactly what I am talking about.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Vince

Watch evolution

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: Yes, that is exactly what I am talking about.
The article states that there are some fossils from that period, just nothing that appear to be forerunners of Cambrian species.

A question occurred to me that I thought I'd throw out because I really don't know the answer to it. They say that man wasn't descended from any of the apes of today, but that we share a common ancestor. I've also heard that about other species. That they evolved from the same ancestor. Are there any two species alive today where one is an actual descendant of the other?
GORDON
Site Admin

Watch evolution

Post by GORDON »

They say a lot of peeps are.still walking around with neanderthal DNA, and we lived alongside of them for a time.
Vince

Watch evolution

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: They say a lot of peeps are.still walking around with neanderthal DNA, and we lived alongside of them for a time.
I've seen that. But I don't see it suggested that we evolved from the neanderthal. Only that we mingled with them (even in breeding). Which makes me question if we're actually talking about two different species or are we the subspecies of the neanderthal. I can't think of any other two species that can reproduce a viable species capable of breeding on its own.
GORDON
Site Admin

Watch evolution

Post by GORDON »

I know that confers are more primitive than deciduous trees.