Gillette Ad

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gillette Ad

Post by TheCatt »

Gillette made an ad about if men can be better.
Bullying. Harassment. Is this the best a man can get? It's only by challenging ourselves to do more, that we can get closer to our best. To say the right thing, to act the right way. We are taking action at http://www.thebestmencanbe.org. Join us.
[video][/video]

It's provoked a LOT of reaction on the tubes, but I found this funny (it's not a retweet, just 'happened' to be lined up next to each other as I was browsing reactions)

It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gillette Ad

Post by GORDON »

Men aren't allowed to self-correct ourselves any more. You can't gang up and stomp the schoolyard bully without getting suspended, You can't sock a guy in the nose for catcalling a woman without going to jail. So, now it's someone else's problem... meaning, it's no ones problem.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
thibodeaux

Gillette Ad

Post by thibodeaux »

Cakedaddy

Gillette Ad

Post by Cakedaddy »

We can only hope that one day, we can be as perfect as women are.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gillette Ad

Post by Leisher »

That is a terrible fucking ad and message.

"Toxic Masculinity" what a fucking joke.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gillette Ad

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: That is a terrible fucking ad and message.

"Toxic Masculinity" what a fucking joke.
I liked the ad, and I liked the message, but I'm probably alone here on that.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gillette Ad

Post by GORDON »

If kotex puts out an ad telling all women that need to start being more rational, and calm down, i'd forgive this.

It's a minority of people who do the shitty things. This gilette ad lays down a blanket accusation. It's horse shit.

Bashing men is one of the last of the acceptable bigotries. It's not ok.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gillette Ad

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:This gilette ad lays down a blanket accusation. It's horse shit. Bashing men is one of the last of the acceptable bigotries.
Got it. The men who are behaving well, and being good people in the ad are also being slammed.

Here's the base for your ad, Gordon:

At the end of the day, I'm pro all people behaving better, and have no issue with the ad targeting a subset of people.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gillette Ad

Post by GORDON »

I'm pro-punish/fix those who behave badly. Laying the shit on the good people is counterproductive.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gillette Ad

Post by GORDON »

"Well, I was going to bully and give some unwanted sexual attention on some people today, but I got gillete shamed."

Which will never happen. This ad is worse than useless.
Cakedaddy

Gillette Ad

Post by Cakedaddy »

Women everywhere will be buying more gillete razors. Good for them. I bet it more than offsets the fewer number that men will buy.

They win.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gillette Ad

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Which will never happen.
I mean, with that attitude.
Vince

Gillette Ad

Post by Vince »

Yeah, the blanket assumption that men are bad, and also that real men aren't correcting the behavior of others within their peer groups is garbage. Men that don't care for that behavior aren't hanging out with boys that act like that. We're living in a culture where we had to remove the stigma of the unwed mother and everyone will pretend that there is absolutely nothing wrong with that and we must enable it in every way possible, and then applaud a freaking razor company when they think they have to step up and be "dad" to all these misdirected boys?

Also, I'm really curious as to why it was the black guy that steps in and says, "that's not cool" when the white guy is about to chase down and rape the woman that walks by? If Gillette was "brave" they would have flipped those roles.

Gillette can suck my ball sack.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Gillette Ad

Post by GORDON »

"Hey black people, don't you think it's bullshit that we keep committing so many crimes? Come on, that's not cool."

Racist or stupid white people, "See? I knew those black people were dangerous. That public message just reaffirmed my biases."

It does more harm than good.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gillette Ad

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Hey black people, don't you think it's bullshit that we keep committing so many crimes? Come on, that's not cool."
30 years ago
Vince

Gillette Ad

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: "Hey black people, don't you think it's bullshit that we keep committing so many crimes? Come on, that's not cool."

Racist or stupid white people, "See? I knew those black people were dangerous. That public message just reaffirmed my biases."

It does more harm than good.
In other words, the people that insist we must be color blind dare not be color blind.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gillette Ad

Post by GORDON »

"Hey women, why do we all keep getting pregnant while cheating and going on jerry springer? COme on, that's not cool."
Vince

Gillette Ad

Post by Vince »

Hi PETA? We need to talk.

- Gillette
Leisher
Site Admin

Gillette Ad

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote: Hey black people, don't you think it's bullshit that we keep committing so many crimes? Come on, that's not cool."
30 years ago
Was that a major corporation shaming people for the color of their skin?
GORDON wrote: If kotex puts out an ad telling all women that need to start being more rational, and calm down, i'd forgive this.

It's a minority of people who do the shitty things. This gilette ad lays down a blanket accusation. It's horse shit.

Bashing men is one of the last of the acceptable bigotries. It's not ok.
Well put.

Hey ladies, how about we stop getting pregnant on purpose to trap a guy. Let's stop going out with no money knowing we'll just make guys pay for our drinks. Let's stop dating guys who are 50 years older than we are and destroy their families just so we can get a payday when they die. Also, let's start demanding men get treated equally in family and divorce courts.

And you know we could do that list forever.

I'm with you Catt that I wish all the assholes would stop being assholes, but a Gilette ad isn't going to do that. Rape, domestic violence (which is not exclusively a male crime), workplace harassment (again, not exclusively male), and so on might be linked to choices, but mostly has to do with wiring in their brains being broken. No rapist is going to see the ad and think "Oooooooh! I shouldn't rape a woman. Wow! I'm an asshole." Nobody who hits a woman in the heat of the moment is going to have a bracelet on with "WWGD?" to remind them to be nice.

End of the day, there's a war on being a man, while women are celebrated for being women.

Cherish us, worship us, treat us with class and respect, open doors for us, sacrifice for us, pay for us, die for us, etc. We deserve everything men have, plus to be treated better.

EQUALITY!
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gillette Ad

Post by TheCatt »

We can all improve, and other people's faults are a poor excuse for inaction.

The fact that a rapist won't be stopped due to an ad doesn't mean we can't make culture a little better.