Gillette Ad

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gillette Ad

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: STOP OBJECTIFYING WOMEN!
Good point. Gillette actually did stop. Those are pictures of grid girls from 2011, which is a practice that no longer happens. Hey look, Gillette improved just like their ad preaches.
Also I still think black people should do better at policing themselves, and stop doing crimes. It's just an innocent suggestion and shouldn't anger anyone.
I do not argue with that.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Vince

Gillette Ad

Post by Vince »

Still say it's a virtue signaling waste of time and money. The people that know not to harass and rape women aren't harassing and raping women, The people that are going to do it anyways aren't going to be detoured by an ad from a razor company. It's self pleasuring. They feel good, but it doesn't accomplish anything.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gillette Ad

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: Still say it's a virtue signaling waste of time and money.
God forbid people have virtues?
Vince wrote: They feel good, but it doesn't accomplish anything.
You could make this argument about any cultural change ever, and still be wrong.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gillette Ad

Post by Leisher »

Right.

There is a movement out there blaming men, particularly straight and white men, for all the world's ills.

I get the message the people behind the ad are going for, and I don't totally disagree with it. I do disagree with who was chosen as actors, who it was targeted at (all men), and the fact that I'm supposed to believe Gillette gives a shit.

I think it's pandering and dishonest at best.
TheCatt wrote:You could make this argument about any cultural change ever, and still be wrong.
Wait, what's your position with this statement? That this ad and other things like it DO have an impact? Good or bad impact? I don't want to counter if I agree with you. :D
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gillette Ad

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: That this ad and other things like it DO have an impact?
The ad is good, and generally has a positive impact. They are all part of larger cultural changes.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gillette Ad

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: That this ad and other things like it DO have an impact?
The ad is good, and generally has a positive impact. They are all part of larger cultural changes.
So, like "Say No to Drugs"?

That would be exhibit A in the "sometimes the marketing does the opposite". Exhibit B would be every single anti-smoking campaign for kids prior to this latest campaign whose name is eluding me. Of course, with vaping being labeled "an epidemic", it could be argued the new campaign just pushed kids to something else.

I know that I've never raped a woman, but after seeing the Gillette ad, I wanted to... :D
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Gillette Ad

Post by Cakedaddy »

After seeing it, I felt like I was supposed to.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gillette Ad

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: So, like "Say No to Drugs"?
Turns out, drug use is down a lot since the time of the baby boomers. Cuz off the top of my head, I was going to agree with you.

And WOW they did a lot of drugs. Holy shit.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gillette Ad

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: And WOW they did a lot of drugs. Holy shit.
Those assholes broke the curve. Using their data is like showing that violent deaths are down based on an average weekend in Chicago versus June 6th, 1944.

I've seen studies proving that Nancy Reagan's "Say No to Drugs" coincided with a rise in drug use and I know the smoking ones are truth...hey! That's the name of the new campaign! "Truth", which is being hailed because unlike all the others, it was actually working.
Vince

Gillette Ad

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: You could make this argument about any cultural change ever, and still be wrong.
Not really. How many people are on the fence on this?

The ad is an empty act of public commitment to an unexceptionable good cause.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gillette Ad

Post by GORDON »

Stupid whiney men: deeply offended at the implication and accusation

The Woke:. See, told you all men do this. That's why so many are.crying because they want to rape

Actual.sexual assailants: No change.

Good ad.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gillette Ad

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Stupid whiney men: deeply offended at the implication and accusation
Good God are they ever...
Leisher
Site Admin

Gillette Ad

Post by Leisher »

Catt's sweeping approval of this ad and its message is thankfully in the minority. At the official Gillette YouTube page, it has over a million thumbs down and half that thumbs up.

This guy breaks down the commercial (in real time) and how terribly made it is, including the disparity in how the races are portrayed:

Gillette's message: Being a straight, white man is pretty much the worst thing you can be, so if you can't become a woman, at least become a minority.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gillette Ad

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: At the official Gillette YouTube page, it has over a million thumbs down and half that thumbs up.
So many fragile men in the world.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gillette Ad

Post by GORDON »

The majority of thumbs-down votes were clearly russian bots, and can be ignored
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gillette Ad

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: The majority of thumbs-down votes were clearly russian bots, and can be ignored
Vince

Gillette Ad

Post by Vince »

[video][/video]
Leisher
Site Admin

Gillette Ad

Post by Leisher »

That's a great video.

Here's another really good counter video that points out toxic femininity:

And they didn't even touch the epidemic of gold digging whores.
Cakedaddy

Gillette Ad

Post by Cakedaddy »

Not a single clip from any of the Housewives of Where ever shows?
Leisher
Site Admin

Gillette Ad

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Not a single clip from any of the Housewives of Where ever shows?
Ha! I thought the same thing while watching it.