The Lonely Elephant

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Lonely Elephant

Post by Leisher »

Normally I bash stupid groups like PETA, but this group (not PETA) arguing against an elephant being imprisoned I can support.

Their argument is that elephants are very social creatures (true), and that socialization is really important to them (also true). Thus, this elephant being kept alone for years is like torture. I concur.

Either buy some mates for it or send the elephant to another zoo.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

The Lonely Elephant

Post by Vince »

I bash their arguments about the elephant having rights, but I support getting the elephant a friend or moved somewhere else. We have an obligation to provide the animals we keep in the most humane ways possible. I raised feeder dubia roaches for reptiles at one time and tried to ensure they had the best life possible before being fed to the lizards.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

The Lonely Elephant

Post by GORDON »

Yeah, even if you're going to eat the animal, every effort should be made to not needlessly torture it first.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

The Lonely Elephant

Post by Vince »

True. Though the "cruelty to lobsters" crap is annoying. They're boiled alive as to minimize your chances of it killing you.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Lonely Elephant

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: True. Though the "cruelty to lobsters" crap is annoying. They're boiled alive as to minimize your chances of it killing you.
Actually, it's because lobster looks and tastes better that way. And, is much less likely to make you sick as the boiling kills bacteria without giving surviving bacteria a chance to spread after cooking.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Vince

The Lonely Elephant

Post by Vince »

It's not the bacteria that makes you sick. It's their waste that is a toxin. Important distinction because that's why boiling and killing the bacteria doesn't make it safe to eat.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Lonely Elephant

Post by GORDON »

Their waste + corpses. When an individual bacterium, dies, it becomes toxic.

At least for some of them.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."