Placebo Pills

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Placebo Pills

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Placebo Pills

Post by TheCatt »

and you can now buy placebo pills on Amazon for $8 to $15 a bottle.
The fuck? Shouldn't those be like $2?
It's not me, it's someone else.
thibodeaux

Placebo Pills

Post by thibodeaux »

The doctors told her there were no active ingredients in the pills, and the word placebo was labeled clearly on the bottle.
I didn't know that the control group were actually told they were the control group.
Vince

Placebo Pills

Post by Vince »

Makes me wonder if the physical act of taking a pill triggers a placebo effect in the brain.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Placebo Pills

Post by Leisher »

thibodeaux wrote:
The doctors told her there were no active ingredients in the pills, and the word placebo was labeled clearly on the bottle.
I didn't know that the control group were actually told they were the control group.
That was news to me as well. Seems like it'd be damaging to the study.
Vince wrote: Makes me wonder if the physical act of taking a pill triggers a placebo effect in the brain.
I mean, the article is implying exactly that.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Placebo Pills

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote:
Well, we don't know how many groups there were in this study. Maybe they did 4 groups?
Medicine - Know it
Medicine - Don't know it
Placebo - Know it
Placebo - Don't know it

Or maybe they were just testing the placebo effect, and there was "Know it" and "Dont know it" groups.

Or, maybe she was told AFTER the study, and mis-remembered.
Cakedaddy

Placebo Pills

Post by Cakedaddy »

They said the whole test was about telling them ahead of time. IBS was just the group they picked. They wanted to know if taking a placebo would help people. I'm guessing it stems from how many people are helped by one when they don't know it. They wanted to find out if they got better because they believed they might/should because they are talking medicine or if the ritual of taking meds makes you better. I didn't read the whole article, but was anyone treated with actual meds or was it 100% placebos?
thibodeaux

Placebo Pills

Post by thibodeaux »

Lolz the control group was given unlabelled placebos, whereas the experimental group was given labelled ones...lmao that would be hilarious.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Placebo Pills

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: I didn't read the whole article, but was anyone treated with actual meds or was it 100% placebos?
I didn't read it either. It's got to be one of the combinations I did above to be meaningful.
Vince

Placebo Pills

Post by Vince »

I remember a study years ago where they gave morphine and a placebo to a group of chronic pain sufferers. After removing the subjects that were not experiencing the placebo effect, they added a morphine inhibitor to the IV drip unbeknownst to the subjects. Both groups started complaining about the pain returning.

So the brain is weird.
Leisher
Site Admin

Placebo Pills

Post by Leisher »

I remember on BS, they did a small experiment with MSG. They claim nobody should have adverse reactions to MSG because it's just salt. People in the experiment who got MSG and had previously suffered were told they didn't get it and had no effects, and vice versa.
Vince

Placebo Pills

Post by Vince »

I think the MSG thing went back to a doctor that wrote an article years ago about his having a reaction to it without any substantiating study. So people believed that they too had an intolerance for MSG.

Kind of like people thinking they are suffering from a spider bite when they only two spiders in the US that bite are the Brown Recluse and Black Widow.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Placebo Pills

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: Kind of like people thinking they are suffering from a spider bite when they only two spiders in the US that bite are the Brown Recluse and Black Widow.
What about snake bites?
GORDON
Site Admin

Placebo Pills

Post by GORDON »

Which is an ongoing point of.contention.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Placebo Pills

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Which is an ongoing point of.contention.
:D
Cakedaddy

Placebo Pills

Post by Cakedaddy »

Vince wrote:Kind of like people thinking they are suffering from a spider bite when they only two spiders in the US that bite are the Brown Recluse and Black Widow.
That sounded crazy, and the Internet confirms.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Placebo Pills

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote:
Vince wrote:Kind of like people thinking they are suffering from a spider bite when they only two spiders in the US that bite are the Brown Recluse and Black Widow.
Well, where I live it feels like all the spiders are black widows. Aside from the daddy longlegs.
Leisher
Site Admin

Placebo Pills

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote:
Can someone post this link? They are the only two species that are poisonous, but other spiders bite, right?

Wolf spiders bite...
Vince

Placebo Pills

Post by Vince »

This isn't the article I read, but this is the guy that they were talking to in the one I did read, but can't find now. I've seen two articles talking about his study and they are only taking part of his quote (probably because they're positive that they were bitten by a spider). Here's the quote:
Many spiders aren’t even capable of piercing human flesh. Buddle said he has observed spiders “moving their fangs back and forth against his skin,” all to no avail.
I've seen the direct quote here where they lead in with "some spiders" or "many spiders", etc. But the original article I read by him (or rather where they were quoting him) said he'd taken every non-venomous species native to the US and none were able to penetrate.

Also, it looks like there are two species that people call grand daddy long legs. One is also known as the cellar spider and the other isn't even an actual spider called a harvestman. The harvestmen are the ones I'm actual familiar with being called a Granddaddy longleg.