Female Runners

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Female Runners

Post by Leisher »

Get harassed a lot.

No, but seriously, WTF is wrong with people? Or are we (I assume you guys aren't hollering at random jogging women...) the exceptions?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Female Runners

Post by TheCatt »

I remember reading about this in Runner's World a couple of years ago. It's certainly 'not all men,' but it's disturbing that people do this. I assume it's a minority of men, but certainly non-zero and more than it should be.

One of the AWS people I follow on Twitter is female, and attractive. She gets comments at least daily about things like "Such a good presentation, and your beauty made it that much more interesting, I could watch you all day" among the more innocuous ones. But would anyone say that to a male presenter? I assume someone would, but much more rarely. She's started calling it out, and it's disturbing how many other female people have similar stories.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Female Runners

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: But would anyone say that to a male presenter? I assume someone would, but much more rarely.
We assume that, but go ask a female stripper and a male stripper about their experiences. The female stripper will tell you about the power she wields. The male stripper will tell you he feels like a lamb dropped into a tiger enclosure.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Female Runners

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: But would anyone say that to a male presenter? I assume someone would, but much more rarely.
We assume that, but go ask a female stripper and a male stripper about their experiences. The female stripper will tell you about the power she wields. The male stripper will tell you he feels like a lamb dropped into a tiger enclosure.
Well, the article about runners mentions that 4% of men ever felt harassed, vs 53% of women.
Leisher
Site Admin

Female Runners

Post by Leisher »

Oh, I got your point. I was just pointing out that there are assumptions still being made.

First, 4% of men felt harassed. So how many hear catcalls and DON'T feel harassed?
Second, of the 53% of women, how many heard "Never stop running fattie!" or other bullshit?

Also, I think it speaks about how men and women behave in various venues where behavior is considered socially acceptable.
Troy

Female Runners

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote:
One of the AWS people I follow on Twitter is female, and attractive. She gets comments at least daily about things like "Such a good presentation, and your beauty made it that much more interesting, I could watch you all day" among the more innocuous ones. But would anyone say that to a male presenter? I assume someone would, but much more rarely. She's started calling it out, and it's disturbing how many other female people have similar stories.
My wife had this exact thing happen to her a lot at CNN. It's fucking creepy.

And I'm a 4%. I run a lot, and getting honked at freaks me out and I hate it. It breaks the rhythm of your run and breathing as your heart jumps into your throat.

Or just random dudes yelling at you. Men are goddamn goons, many barely more developed than apes.
GORDON
Site Admin

Female Runners

Post by GORDON »

No argument. But it isn't anything that hasn't been going on for a few hundred thousand years.

We need to bring back.... being able to punch a dude in the nose when he gets out of line, without it being an instant jail sentence. When you could just smack a guy for disrespecting a woman, then he'd walk away chastised with a bloody nose, and a lesson learned. We are no longer able to correct the more unsocialized members of society, so now they run free, being crude with impunity, because no one wants to get arrested for teaching a lesson.

Its a damned shame, how we got so civilized.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Troy

Female Runners

Post by Troy »

#bringduelingback

I'm re-reading the O'Brian Royal Navy novels right now, and dueling is something that kept SOME things in check back in the 19th century. You could slap a dude and demand satisfaction for way less than what you'd have to put up with today.

I'm mostly being sarcastic, but it was an effective deterrent. Then again most people didn't make it past 40.
Last edited by Troy on Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
GORDON
Site Admin

Female Runners

Post by GORDON »

Not even dueling. Just a guy getting punched in the nose, and the rest of the witnesses shrugging and saying, "Meh, he had it coming." If it escalates, the crowd steps in and knocks the offender on his ass, harder.

Either way, a lesson is learned. I bet he never disrespects a woman, again.

But then again, this is america, and no one has access to mental health care, and everyone has a gun. I dunno.

I really think we need to bring back "getting socked in the kisser" for rudeness.

"Violence doesn't solve problems" has created a lot of problems, especially for women.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Female Runners

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Its a damned shame, how we got so civilized.
Are you making the argument that women get more harassed now than they did, say, 50 years ago?

*edit* meant to say more, not less.
Troy

Female Runners

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote:
Are you making the argument that women get less harassed now than they did, say, 50 years ago?
I thought he was saying it was roughly the same, only there is less recourse for bystanders/boyfriends/white knights nowadays.

Also the prevalence of guns and the mentally ill make things more dangerous for men and women.
GORDON
Site Admin

Female Runners

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote:
Are you making the argument that women get less harassed now than they did, say, 50 years ago?
I'm saying they get more, now.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Female Runners

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I'm saying they get more, now.
I find that unlikely to be true... depending on timeframes we're comparing. I could see how increased urbanization and therefore less knowledge of other people (more strangers, less "I shouldn't tell Bob's daughter I want to fuck her in the ass while walking down the street") among other factors, compared to... say the early 1900s and before. But compared to 20 to 60 years ago, I'd be surprised if it were more.
Leisher
Site Admin

Female Runners

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote:
TheCatt wrote:
I think they perceive more now...
TheCatt
Site Admin

Female Runners

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:
TheCatt wrote:
I 0% believe that. I might even negatively believe that. Man, watching some movies from the 80s, and sexual harassment was just normal... in PG movies.
GORDON
Site Admin

Female Runners

Post by GORDON »

What was it you said to me recently... You have no way to prove it?

I bet a dollar.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Female Runners

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: What was it you said to me recently... You have no way to prove it?

I bet a dollar.
Sure. Studies have shown it has gone down.
GORDON
Site Admin

Female Runners

Post by GORDON »

Oh have they?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Female Runners

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Oh have they?
Yeah, google it :)
GORDON
Site Admin

Female Runners

Post by GORDON »

You should tell the author of the article this thread is about to stop bitching, because it's getting better.