Stand Your Ground

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Stand Your Ground

Post by Leisher »

Charges filed against the latest guy who is using it as a defense.(with video of the incident)

IMHO, lock him up.

Yes, the victim parked illegally, but that's not a civilian's job to police. Call the cops. The shooter was the one who instigated this entire incident. And who goes over to strangers and starts cursing at them about where they parked?

Yes, the victim instigated the physical violence with a cheap shot shove the shooter didn't see coming. However, he also clearly was not moving in to further the attack, and a bystander was on his way to, more than likely, help end any violence. Plus, it wasn't a punch. It was a shove. He was sending a message using physical force, but it was one of intimidation, not "I'm going to murder you".

Also, once the gun was pulled out, the victim backed off. He had no weapons.

That is not a legit shooting if a cop had been involved. Why would it be a legit shooting for a civilian?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Stand Your Ground

Post by TheCatt »

Yeah, this was a like a big chain of everyone fucking up, trying to top the person who fucked up first.

I think, in the video, the victim backed up before the gun was drawn, but it's hard to see.
Leisher wrote: Why would it be a legit shooting for a civilian?
Because: Florida.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Stand Your Ground

Post by GORDON »

"When keeping it real goes wrong."

This is America, dog. Always assume everyone is packing, and doesn't have access to mental health care. Always.

Always.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Stand Your Ground

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: I think, in the video, the victim backed up before the gun was drawn, but it's hard to see.
He backs up when he realizes a gun was being drawn.

After the shove he stops advancing and adjusts his pants. He didn't move in for the kill or act aggressively at all. He was not going to further hit or shove that guy.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Stand Your Ground

Post by Cakedaddy »

What I see, is the attacker shoves and continues toward the guy on the ground. He's advancing as he's pulling up his pants. He doesn't stop until the gun is drawn and then backs up. We don't know what the attacker was saying to the guy on the ground as he was moving forward (I'm gonna fuck you up, bitch). Large man who just shoved him is still advancing while the victim is on the ground. Gun is drawn. Here's where shit is fucked up. You can't draw ad gun as a warning to stop an attack. If you do, you are charged with brandishing. If you draw, you MUST shoot. AND, you must shoot to kill. You can't shoot to wound. What we were taught in our concealed carry class. . . it's best not to carry. Not really. Well, they said that, but it was somewhat in jest because of how fucked up shit is. No matter what, if you draw and shoot, you are in for a shit load of problems. Society really does want you to just sit there and hope the attacker doesn't really hurt/kill/rape you.

So, yes, the attack stopped as soon as the gun was drawn. The victim 100% believed the large man was about to fuck him up. He has the right to defend himself. Had he been a faster draw/shot, the attacker wouldn't have had the chance to back up giving the impression the victim was safe, which, I believe he was. But, if you don't shoot, you are the criminal.

I dunno. The attacker shoved, then advanced. My call is, the shooter is within his rights.

My complete thoughts:
Don't be a piece of shit that parks in a handicapped spot.
Don't be a confrontational asshole about it. It's not your job. UNLESS there's a handicapped person with nowhere to park.
Don't continue to be a piece of shit when called out for being a piece of shit.
Don't physically attack someone when it's not warranted. Your just being a dick.
Don't carry a gun in the hopes that one day you can be a hero or insert yourself into a situation where you might get to kill someone.
Cakedaddy

Stand Your Ground

Post by Cakedaddy »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: I think, in the video, the victim backed up before the gun was drawn, but it's hard to see.
He backs up when he realizes a gun was being drawn.

After the shove he stops advancing and adjusts his pants. He didn't move in for the kill or act aggressively at all. He was not going to further hit or shove that guy.

I strongly disagree. He was walking towards the guy until the gun was drawn. He was advancing while pulling up his pants. He let go of his pants at the same instance when he stopped moving forward when he saw the gun. The shooter allowed him to take 3 steps back and nearly turning his back to him before firing. About 2.5 seconds. He had the gun drawn and pointed WAY too long before firing. The threat was mitigated and probably eliminated by the brandishing.

But to say the guy was not aggressive after the shove, I 100% disagree. I doubt the guys was saying "Gosh fella. I didn't mean to push you that hard. Let me help you up." as he was walking towards him. His gate, pulling up his pants, I read "I'm not done with you".
TheCatt
Site Admin

Stand Your Ground

Post by TheCatt »

I see two steps back, then the gun coming out, then 3 more steps away before he's shot.
Cakedaddy wrote: I doubt the guys was saying "Gosh fella. I didn't mean to push you that hard. Let me help you up." as he was walking towards him. His gate, pulling up his pants, I read "I'm not done with you".
I see "What the fuck you doing to my woman, dumb ass" But I don't see "I'm not done with you"
Cakedaddy

Stand Your Ground

Post by Cakedaddy »

So what you are saying is, the guy should have just stayed on the ground and hoped the other guy didn't continue to beat the shit out of him.
Vince

Stand Your Ground

Post by Vince »

Hard for me to make a call on this one. I don't know what the shooter was saying to the woman when the boyfriend walked up. Was his voice raised to begin with? Seemed like a bit of a lag there between drawing the weapon and the shooting in which it did seem to me like the guy was moving away. But again, what was being said?

The moral to the story (for both sides) is "don't be a dick".
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Stand Your Ground

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: The attacker shoved, then advanced. My call is, the shooter is within his rights.
Completely disagree.

First of all, the advancing that you see is momentum. As I said, it was about intimidation, and NOT an attack. Note how he slows down after the shove and his gait becomes wider.

That's not to say he wouldn't have punched the guy or shoved him again based on the shooter's next actions. However, this was a shove not a punch. He could have very easily punched the guy. He shoved him.

Next is the victim's reaction to the shooter's next action. The guy on the ground wasn't quick draw McGraw. He fumbled for the gun. The victim, before even seeing the gun, retreated. He was way out of physical range before the gun came out. He also turned his body away from the shooter. That's a sign of submission.

The incident was OVER. The shooter was in full control at that moment. Yet instead of calling the police to report the assault. Instead of retreating. He decided to fire his gun and take a life.

Lock him up.
Leisher
Site Admin

Stand Your Ground

Post by Leisher »

Shooter is a massive dick who threatened others.

Let's be honest, this is not someone who should have been allowed to carry a gun.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Stand Your Ground

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Shooter is a massive dick who threatened others.

Let's be honest, this is not someone who should have been allowed to carry a gun.
Wow. Everyone should have dash cams, apparently, too.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Stand Your Ground

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: Shooter is a massive dick who threatened others.

Wow. Everyone should have dash cams, apparently, too.
20 years https://abcnews.go.com/US/stand-ground- ... wopack_hed
Leisher
Site Admin

Stand Your Ground

Post by Leisher »

Shit, one look at that picture and it's obvious to me he never should have been sold a gun.
thibodeaux

Stand Your Ground

Post by thibodeaux »

The fact that the abc story mentions Trayvon Martin when discussing "stand your ground" makes me think they either don't understand it or else are deliberately obfuscating things.

Trayvon Martin was ON TOP OF George Zimmerman BEATING HIS FUCKING HEAD AGAINST THE CONCRETE. In a situation like this, "stand your ground" does not apply.
Vince

Stand Your Ground

Post by Vince »

thibodeaux wrote: The fact that the abc story mentions Trayvon Martin when discussing "stand your ground" makes me think they either don't understand it or else are deliberately obfuscating things.
If it's gun related, they probably don't understand.
thibodeaux

Stand Your Ground

Post by thibodeaux »

I’m actually leaning toward malice on this one.
Vince

Stand Your Ground

Post by Vince »

thibodeaux wrote: I’m actually leaning toward malice on this one.
They aren't looking for a nation where they have to coexist with people like you.
Leisher
Site Admin

Stand Your Ground

Post by Leisher »