Most psychology studies are bullshit

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I mean, I think most people here would think that by default...

but even the widely quoted ones have issues.

Reproducibility 'crisis'
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Lots of studies have samples that are way too small to be relevant. This was mentioned in the book The Undoing Project which I read over vacation. Good book, but it's content was already known to me via economics, and the story is mostly about the relationships. Which, while it had some interesting moments, had way too many words than it needed.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Lots of studies have samples that are way too small to be relevant.
Like using weather data from less than 200 years of a planet that's been here for millions of years?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: Lots of studies have samples that are way too small to be relevant.
Like using weather data from less than 200 years of a planet that's been here for millions of years?
An argument can be made we can infer a lot of historical weather data from geological phenomena. And that 200 years might be enough information to see some changes.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

An argument can be made, yes. To proclaim anything is definitive is incompetence. To parrot it is pathetic. To deify it is scary.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: An argument can be made we can infer a lot of historical weather data from geological phenomena.
As Gordon said, an argument could be made, but it would have to ignore a LOT. (It has been made, and does ignore a lot.)

I'm a complete climate change BELIEVER, so this isn't some "it's all bullshit" blah, blah, blah argument.

My point is that their predictions keep missing...by a lot. Taking less than 200 years worth of data and considering it the end all be all is crap, particularly when we know certain eras of warming and cooling lasted thousands of years. Many of the "it's us" crowd have been criticized by other scientists for not considering other factors like that big ball of fire in the sky that completely controls our weather.

I am 100% anti-pollution and believe as a species we could be doing better by Mother Earth, but do I believe 100% in the stuff Gore and his cronies are selling? No.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Many of the "it's us" crowd have been criticized by other scientists for not considering other factors like that big ball of fire in the sky that completely controls our weather.
We've talked about the most prominent solar flare proponent being completely wrong already... show me more. And the big ball of fire does not completely control our weather.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: We've talked about the most prominent solar flare proponent being completely wrong already... show me more.
The solar flare argument was always dumb. One argument that has gotten attention and I know we've discussed is warming/cooling periods for the sun. That has been suspected as a possible factor, but to what extent nobody knows.
TheCatt wrote: And the big ball of fire does not completely control our weather.
Not "literally" on a day to day basis, no, but that wasn't the intent of my statement. I mean, shift the Earth's axis and see what happens. However, have the sun expand by 10,000 miles or simply snuff out and see what happens to our planet.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

10k miles is only 1.2% wider...
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Figured it was too low. Just throwing a number out there. Still, I'm pretty sure that would affect us, I just don't know how much.

Eventually it will expand and swallow us.
Vince

Post by Vince »

I'm starting to think psychology is more art than "science.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I remember seeing somewhere many years ago that of all the theories about psychology, exactly zero have been proven scientifically.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I remember seeing somewhere many years ago that of all the theories about psychology, exactly zero have been proven scientifically.
I would argue that most cannot be 'proven' per se, rather than just accumulating evidence or supporting data.
Vince

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: I would argue that most cannot be 'proven' per se, rather than just accumulating evidence or supporting data.
I agree with this, but I'm seeing more and more stories where studies have been contaminated in order to influence an outcome that conforms to the beliefs of the examiner. The Stanford Prison experiment is still cited a lot today and was proven to be heavily biased in its execution.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

When results can be skewed by, "Depends on her mood," then it's difficult to call it "data."
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."