Suicide

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Suicide

Post by Leisher »

Rates up 25% since 1999.

How can this be true now that we include everyone in all things and everyone's a winner?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Suicide

Post by TheCatt »

Also interesting... labor force participation down way further than other developed countries, possible tied to opioid epidemic

It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Suicide

Post by GORDON »

Could be opioide epidemic, but it was being way underreported, according the news sources that didn't have Obama's penis lodged in their throats, during his recession. I guess those two events happened around the same time.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Suicide

Post by Leisher »

Teen suicides are up 56% in 10 years.

I honestly wonder how many are attributable to the rise of social media? I'm betting a lot.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Suicide

Post by GORDON »

I called social media being the downfall of civilization many years ago. I remember a few people here, when given a theoretical "guaranteed to destroy the world" scenario, saying "Too bad/free speech."
Leisher
Site Admin

Suicide

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: I called social media being the downfall of civilization many years ago. I remember a few people here, when given a theoretical "guaranteed to destroy the world" scenario, saying "Too bad/free speech."
It truly sucks that anyone ever gets to that point in their life. I fully understand getting there too. I've been there.

However, you can't un-ring a bell, and social media does represent completely unfiltered free speech. The problem is that human beings haven't learned how to behave on it or to respect other people's right to have their own opinions.

It's not just social media though. Look at our culture which praises things that used to be considered illnesses or disabilities. Looks down upon intelligence. Refuses to compromise even in defeat. A MSM that reports everything, including opinion, as news and who is in such a mad rush to beat everyone else that facts, investigations, and ethics are things of the past. Politicians who can...fuck, do I even need to type this? Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump were our choices in the last election.

There is no way we're not in the worst timeline.
GORDON
Site Admin

Suicide

Post by GORDON »

I think it's the funniest timeline.

Free speech: the other day on reddit there was a thread of people being mad at Trump, because he was going to "censor the internet," or some such thing. Peeps were pissed at trump, obviously. "Censorship/orange man bad." Some rando brought up that Trump would love to do it because he had all that help from Russia meddling with the internet to influence the election, and as soon as Facebook bans the russian trolls then Trump will be in trouble. I pointed out that banning "russian trolls" was in fact censoring the internet.

Boy did I get downvoted for that comment. They sure do love calling conservatives fascists, don't they. CENSOR FOR FREEDOM!
Leisher
Site Admin

Suicide

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote:fascist
Is there any word that gets used more by people without any concept of what it actually means?
Vince

Suicide

Post by Vince »

I think Gordo is partially right about social media. I also think when they were complaining about video games they overshot the target a bit. I don't think the problem is the video game, but rather the gaming chat rooms. They are cess pools, as are most social media platforms. We have fewer and fewer institutions where we feel a sense of community. That's why young people in crap neighborhoods join gangs. To feel like they belong. If they are only left with crap places to feel like they belong, we will have a crap society.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Suicide

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Suicide

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Priest talks about how someone who commits suicide isn't getting into heaven at wake for kid who committed suicide.

This is the community I currently reside in, so "woot, national news!"
This seems vaguely familiar, did you post about the original incident?
Vince

Suicide

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: Priest talks about how someone who commits suicide isn't getting into heaven at wake for kid who committed suicide.

I don't understand people getting upset about this. You knew he was a priest. If a diabetic ate themselves to death on wedding cake, would you get mad at the dietitian you hired to speak when they talked about the deceased's crap diet?
Troy

Suicide

Post by Troy »

Vince wrote:

I don't understand people getting upset about this. You knew he was a priest. If a diabetic ate themselves to death on wedding cake, would you get mad at the dietitian you hired to speak when they talked about the deceased's crap diet?
At his funeral? Uh... yes?

Nowadays “De mortuis nihil nisi bonum” should only really apply to funerals, but it’s still applicable.

Aren't priests are supposed to be good about reading people and showing empathy? This guy though:
Maison's parents never told LaCuesta how their son died. And the priest never asked, according to the lawsuit.
So they were stunned when LaCuesta started condemning suicide in front of the mourners, which included Maison's five siblings and classmates.
"People in attendance, including many of their son's classmates, had no idea as to the cause of death and became visibly and vocally upset about hearing Father Laguesta reveal and discuss it," the lawsuit says.
"After the first few times that he said that word (suicide), I approached the pulpit and I told him, I whispered in his ear, 'Father, please stop.' "
It didn't work.
"He didn't miss a beat. He kept going," Jeff said. "He said that word another handful of times. It made the worst day of our lives more worse."
At least they are still good at diddling little boys and getting it swept under the rug.
Troy

Suicide

Post by Troy »

Full disclosure. I recently found out a minister I respected for the majority of my life is actually a shitbag. This didn't help my views on organized religion one bit. My posts may reflect that.
Vince

Suicide

Post by Vince »

Troy wrote: At his funeral? Uh... yes?

Nowadays “De mortuis nihil nisi bonum” should only really apply to funerals, but it’s still applicable.
I probably came across a little harsher than I meant. A priest or preacher should be more concerned with souls than feelings. I agree that being off putting doesn't help. But I kind of lump this in with taking the opportunity at the heart attack death of a three pack a day smoker as a good opportunity to say it's bad for your health, suicide by most Christian doctrine is bad for the soul. I don't see it as speaking ill of the dead so much as speaking ill of his last decision.

I'm legit sorry about the discovery of the shit bag minister. I hate being disappointed by people I respect. It always feels like a horrible betrayal.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Suicide

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: Full disclosure. I recently found out a minister I respected for the majority of my life is actually a shitbag. This didn't help my views on organized religion one bit. My posts may reflect that.
Humanity is garbage, a wise man once said. No matter where that humanity is.

I gave up on organized religion 17 years ago because those people are flawed, too. Which is fine, except when they act like they aren't.