Ban plastics

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Ban plastics

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: 1 - I definitely have people do my lawn while I work out at the gym. My gym has AC, and I hate lawns.
Fucking 1%er.
TheCatt wrote: 2 - Never hogged. Ewwww.
You missed out. You know why fat girls give good head? They have to.
TheCatt wrote: 3 - Are paper bags OK now? I'm confused.
Didn't we eliminate them to save trees? Well, we have more trees now than ever (Here in the U.S.). So, maybe we bring them back?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ban plastics

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fucking 1%er.
I wish. That's like $450k+ per year in income terms.
Leisher wrote: You missed out. You know why fat girls give good head? They have to.
I did just fine, thanks.
Leisher wrote: Didn't we eliminate them to save trees?
Right? I thought plastic used less material or something. But they never fall apart.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Ban plastics

Post by Leisher »

I am not a fan of AC in gyms. I also hate lawns, but I enjoy mowing. It's peaceful and I listen to podcasts.
TheCatt wrote: I did just fine, thanks.
I'm sure you did. I did far better than average myself, but I wasn't a bigot. :D

It's like how I explain why I love seasons to people. How do you know you love only warm weather if you've never experienced winter?
TheCatt wrote: Right? I thought plastic used less material or something. But they never fall apart.
So if we fucked up, can we simply reverse course? Bring back paper bags!
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ban plastics

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I am not a fan of AC in gyms.
Ewww. I hate sweaty smelly places. I belong to two gyms. One's a rock climbing gym, and the air circulation in there is... ok at best. The other is a super clean gym where the air is clear, fresh, no weird smells, etc. I much prefer the latter.
Leisher wrote: How do you know you love only warm weather if you've never experienced winter?
But once you've experienced it, do you need to KEEP experiencing it?
Leisher
Site Admin

Ban plastics

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Ewww. I hate sweaty smelly places. I belong to two gyms. One's a rock climbing gym, and the air circulation in there is... ok at best. The other is a super clean gym where the air is clear, fresh, no weird smells, etc. I much prefer the latter.
You're such a girl.
TheCatt wrote: But once you've experienced it, do you need to KEEP experiencing it?
I audibly laughed at this. It's not like I went hogging every day. I also wasn't drilling anyone on "My 600LB Life", and no I wouldn't. My version of hogging didn't involve the morbidly obese.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ban plastics

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I audibly laughed at this.
I referring to seasons, but I see how quickly your mind goes back to your hogging days...
Leisher
Site Admin

Ban plastics

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
I referring to seasons, but I see how quickly your mind goes back to your hogging days...
I think I have brought up the girl whose head I wrapped in a towel?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ban plastics

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote:
Her: Kinky

Leisher: Yeah, kinky, that's what it is...
Leisher
Site Admin

Ban plastics

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote:
Her: Kinky

Leisher: Yeah, kinky, that's what it is...
That is EXACTLY correct.

She wasn't hideous, but her personality was so grating I couldn't stand to look at her.
Vince

Ban plastics

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: I wasn't trying to hippie shame you. I simply don't understand your logic. It's such a minor "inconvenience", yet would have a direct and measurable impact upon the environment.
Did you use cloth diapers with your kid?
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Ban plastics

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote:
Leisher wrote: I wasn't trying to hippie shame you. I simply don't understand your logic. It's such a minor "inconvenience", yet would have a direct and measurable impact upon the environment.
Did you use cloth diapers with your kid?
No, but I had no idea cloth diapers were even a thing. They weren't handing them out for free at every store on Earth and I certainly didn't use them as storage devices for other things.

Also, it's not my fault my local government doesn't require them to be recycled and used in farming.

Plastic bags don't grow crops.

(By the way, I didn't know you could do that with those either until I just googled it.)
Vince

Ban plastics

Post by Vince »

I promise you the non-biodegradable parts still had to be dealt with somehow. And your kid's poopy and pissy diapers have injected more plastics into the environment in their childhood than every member on this board has with every grocery bag they've ever used.

You really didn't know about cloth diapers?
Leisher
Site Admin

Ban plastics

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: You really didn't know about cloth diapers?
Nope. Didn't know, didn't care. Seems really messy for no real reason.

The new plastic eating enzyme either being developed or just finished being developed should effectively end any question about cloth or disposable diapers. Unlike plastic bags, disposable diapers are unlikely to become random mobile garbage. Thus, put into landfills with the diapers or into whatever process that turns diapers into plant food, it'll make disposables a no brainer and a non-polluter.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ban plastics

Post by TheCatt »

Oh God. We tried cloth diapers. We also used some kind of reusable diapers (inserts?).

neither worked as well as disposable.
Vince

Ban plastics

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: The new plastic eating enzyme either being developed or just finished being developed should effectively end any question about cloth or disposable diapers. Unlike plastic bags, disposable diapers are unlikely to become random mobile garbage. Thus, put into landfills with the diapers or into whatever process that turns diapers into plant food, it'll make disposables a no brainer and a non-polluter.
I'm sure that's right around the corner after the cures for cancer and AIDs that was coming out of the Amazonian rain forests.
Cakedaddy

Ban plastics

Post by Cakedaddy »

1. Have people mow my lawn, but I don't go to the gym. But do other things while they do. I farm out most labor I don't want to do. Plant trees/landscape. Dig holes for . . .whatever needs a hole. But I enjoy construction work, so will be doing my own deck. Build built-ins in the home, etc. But what does this have to do with the environment? I like snow blowing too. Probably because it's not 1000 degrees out and trying to kill me while I'm working outside.
2. Self checkout isn't an environmental thing. It's the store outsourcing it's labor costs to you. Except you don't get paid for it. Have replaced SO MANY regular registers with self checkouts over the years. I know cart corrals help prevent dented cars on windy days, but it also cuts labor costs because you have done half the job for them. It has to be pretty windy for me to put my cart in the corral. Even then, I will prop the front wheels up over a curb before taking to a corral. I very much HATE stores outsourcing their labor to me for free. I am literally doing a job they used to pay someone to do. Fuck that.
3. There was a significant price difference between full serve gas and self serve (in the eighties when it was a dying service). So I don't feel ripped off pumping my own gas. I saw what I was being paid to do it. My groceries aren't cheaper because I'm checking myself out and clearing their lot of carts. But again, not an environmental thing.
4. We reuse plastic bags for random stuff all the time. Putting shoes in when packing to go somewhere and you don't want your shoes all over your clothes. Cleaning up small piles of garbage. I use them in my office for garbage bags. Etc. I will miss them. Also, what impact are they having? I RARELY see one just lying around as litter let alone mountains of them clogging rivers or something. At least, not here. How many years before our landfills are full and we have no more room for any more garbage? I was under the impression that day would never come. How are plastic bags hurting us?
5. I like pouring my own drink because I can refill it at will. I hate when I have to stand in line at the counter for a refill. I always saw this as a service to the customer as apposed to outsourcing labor. I equate it to the birth of the 'free refill'. I like free.
Cakedaddy

Ban plastics

Post by Cakedaddy »

Oh, and replanting trees. I can only say. . . no they don't. At least not in northern Michigan. There are trails I ride up there that used to be nothing but pine trees. Miles of trails winding through pine trees. Then they were logged. All gone. Just acres of overgrown undergrowth now. No more trees. There's one trail system being cleared more and more every year. Used to be one of my favorite trails. Well, still is, but it's not as pretty or safe as it used to be. Anyway, the loggers in northern Michigan are not replanting. And I'm not sure why.
Vince

Ban plastics

Post by Vince »

Cakedaddy wrote: Oh, and replanting trees. I can only say. . . no they don't. At least not in northern Michigan. There are trails I ride up there that used to be nothing but pine trees. Miles of trails winding through pine trees. Then they were logged. All gone. Just acres of overgrown undergrowth now. No more trees. There's one trail system being cleared more and more every year. Used to be one of my favorite trails. Well, still is, but it's not as pretty or safe as it used to be. Anyway, the loggers in northern Michigan are not replanting. And I'm not sure why.
Honestly, it's usually healthier to let nature take care of it. The trees will return after a cycle of the underbrush helps out the soil. Also, some wildlife do better with that sort of habitat. Deer and rabbits don't do well in nothing but forest. So it might be a wildlife decision.
GORDON
Site Admin

Ban plastics

Post by GORDON »

When you cut your grass, you are "disclimaxing" a forest.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Cakedaddy

Ban plastics

Post by Cakedaddy »

How long is a cycle? It's been 3+ years in some sections and the lower vegetation has a strong strangling hold on every inch of ground. It's a chore to keep the trails open and the brush cut back. I don't see any trees growing out there. Will take decades for the random tree to break through and start stealing the sun from the underbrush.

Also, northern Michigan is not suffering for a lack of wildlife. Just look at the side of the road.

Recently, I changed a tire on top of a deer carcass. Didn't know it was there. I'm changing away when I notice a bone sticking up out of the ground. Oh, hey, there's another. Closer look around. Fuuuuuuck. My dogs were licking my knees (I was wearing jeans) when I got home. By the time I realized it, the flat was off and had no choice but to continue in that spot.