Ban plastics

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Ban plastics

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: The last place to do it will be the ones getting my business.
Serious question: Why?

What is the plastic bag providing you that a canvas bag (or whatever) cannot?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Ban plastics

Post by GORDON »

One thing is for sure... When I am finally required to buy reusable grocery bags, I won't be buying them from the grocery stores, and rewarding their BS. I'll get them from Amazon.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ban plastics

Post by TheCatt »

I work in Cambridge, MA... they've instituted a bag fee there. I keep forgetting and sometimes have to pay 10 cents for a bag.

I wonder where that 10 cents goes. Probably to sea turtles.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Ban plastics

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: One thing is for sure... When I am finally required to buy reusable grocery bags, I won't be buying them from the grocery stores, and rewarding their BS. I'll get them from Amazon.
Serious question: Why the outrage? Why is the grocery store the asshole here? Do you really think Amazon wouldn't do the exact same thing? Is this strictly a "I live in North America and we're not the problem" thing?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ban plastics

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
GORDON wrote: One thing is for sure... When I am finally required to buy reusable grocery bags, I won't be buying them from the grocery stores, and rewarding their BS. I'll get them from Amazon.
Serious question: Why the outrage? Why is the grocery store the asshole here? Do you really think Amazon wouldn't do the exact same thing? Is this strictly a "I live in North America and we're not the problem" thing?
Give him convenience, or give him death.
GORDON
Site Admin

Ban plastics

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote:
I thought I was clear.

This move by Kroger isn't about saving the environment, no matter what they say. It's already been illustrated that the plastics problem isn't *here.*. This move is going to save them the cost of plastic bags, they will make profit selling reusable ones with their logo on it so you can advertise for them, and it won't make a difference in the environment.

They are straight lying about their reason. So when I have to, i'll buy them from Amazon. At least they aren't blowing smoke up my ass about it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ban plastics

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: . It's already been illustrated that the plastics problem isn't *here.*. This move is going to save them the cost of plastic bags, they will make profit selling reusable ones with their logo on it so you can advertise for them, and it won't make a difference in the environment.
GORDON
Site Admin

Ban plastics

Post by GORDON »

Mm hmm. And keep draining the ocean with a teacup, have everyone else pay for your labor, and tell them you're solving the rising ocean levels. No harm with that.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ban plastics

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Mm hmm. And keep draining the ocean with a teacup, have everyone else pay for your labor, and tell them you're solving the rising ocean levels. No harm with that.
Vince

Ban plastics

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote:
Vince wrote: The last place to do it will be the ones getting my business.
Serious question: Why?

What is the plastic bag providing you that a canvas bag (or whatever) cannot?
Because I'm the customer and I don't want to have to deal with bringing my own bags.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Cakedaddy

Ban plastics

Post by Cakedaddy »

I'm going to start keeping all of my plastic bags. So when the stores stop offering them, I can bring my own. And on every trip, I'm going to drop one on the ground and let it blow around the parking lot as I leave.

When the reusable bags get dirty, do you launder them or buy new ones? I have to assume after a year (hell, 6 months or less?) those bags are going to look pretty nasty.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ban plastics

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: do you launder them or buy new ones?
Launder
Leisher
Site Admin

Ban plastics

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: I thought I was clear.

This move by Kroger isn't about saving the environment, no matter what they say. It's already been illustrated that the plastics problem isn't *here.*. This move is going to save them the cost of plastic bags, they will make profit selling reusable ones with their logo on it so you can advertise for them, and it won't make a difference in the environment.
So if Kroger was taking a financial loss on the bags, then you'd be ok with them? What if it turns out they are? What if they're simply breaking even?

If they break even or take a financial loss, at that point, would you be ok with doing something good for the environment?

By the way, I think the bags at Aldi were $.25, so shipping them from Amazon will be a financial loss for you. Also, please stop pretending Amazon wouldn't do the same thing as Kroger.
Vince wrote: Because I'm the customer and I don't want to have to deal with bringing my own bags.
I'll bet in your whole life you've never bitched about pumping your own gas. Do you complain at a buffet when you're scooping up your own food? How about at Subway when you're pouring your own drink? How about at the grocery store when you're picking out the food you want, checking it all out, and then putting it into bags?

I just cannot disagree with you both more. I get Gordon's irritation with a corporation passing down costs, and I get Vince's irritation with corporations giving consumers more to deal with, but this isn't the examples above. This isn't costing people jobs or breaking the bank. This is eliminating a massive source of waste for very, very little cost and effort. As Catt points out, every little bit helps.

I just think if you're mad about corporations passing the buck, this is an odd choice for your hill to die on.
Vince

Ban plastics

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: I'll bet in your whole life you've never bitched about pumping your own gas. Do you complain at a buffet when you're scooping up your own food? How about at Subway when you're pouring your own drink? How about at the grocery store when you're picking out the food you want, checking it all out, and then putting it into bags?
When it's 100 degrees out or 5 below, yes... I've bitched about having to pump my own gas. Have you ever paid someone else to do the manual labor around the house (mowing the yard or whatever) while paying to go work out at the gym? Do you like screwing hot chicks but don't like screwing fat ugly chicks? Why not? They're basically the same! They both have boobs and front holes!

I don't like having to deal with bagging my own groceries. Your not going to hippy shame me into changing my mind. If they want to bring bag paper bags, I'm okay with that.

Edit: It's not even the hassle of bagging my own groceries. I did that for 2 years while going to school. I don't like having to deal with the reusable bags.
GORDON
Site Admin

Ban plastics

Post by GORDON »

Once someone died of e. Coli when they put their raw veggies in the bag that had last held the raw meat.

So watch out for that, when the time comes.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ban plastics

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: front holes
Oh no! They got to Vince!
Vince

Ban plastics

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote:
Vince wrote: front holes
Oh no! They got to Vince!
Trying to be more inclusive ;-)

I have no reason why, but the ridiculousness of the "front hole" thing is still very amusing to me and I suspect will be semi-regular in my phrase usage.
GORDON
Site Admin

Ban plastics

Post by GORDON »

It's definitely a punch line.
Leisher
Site Admin

Ban plastics

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: Have you ever paid someone else to do the manual labor around the house (mowing the yard or whatever) while paying to go work out at the gym?
Never.
Vince wrote: Do you like screwing hot chicks but don't like screwing fat ugly chicks? Why not? They're basically the same! They both have boobs and front holes!
I've gone hogging. Why don't you? Bigot.
Vince wrote: Your not going to hippy shame me into changing my mind.
I wasn't trying to hippie shame you. I simply don't understand your logic. It's such a minor "inconvenience", yet would have a direct and measurable impact upon the environment. Kroger, being the worldwide grocer king, doing this means everyone else is going to follow suit. Imagine all those plastic bags worldwide being eliminated.
Vince wrote: If they want to bring bag paper bags, I'm okay with that.
I wonder if that's an option? They're biodegradable. The more we use wood, the more trees get planted.
GORDON wrote: Once someone died of e. Coli when they put their raw veggies in the bag that had last held the raw meat.
Do you honestly think that hasn't already happened a lot with the plastic bags? People save those things and use them for lunch bags and general storage. Stop trying to eliminate Darwinism. :D
Vince wrote: front hole
I forget where that came from.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ban plastics

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I forget where that came from.
I thought you posted it? Maybe it was Vince... Ah, it was Vince.

1 - I definitely have people do my lawn while I work out at the gym. My gym has AC, and I hate lawns.
2 - Never hogged. Ewwww.
3 - Are paper bags OK now? I'm confused.