Starbucks

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Starbucks

Post by Leisher »

Two black guys get arrested at SB.

What happened: Two black guys went into a SB to wait for a friend. Staff there called the police because the black guys didn't buy anything. Black guys said they were doing nothing wrong and apparently refused to leave. Police have to arrest at that point. Guys are later released without charges, obviously, however SB is under fire for making the call in the first place.

Interesting side note: You remember the Dunkin Donuts colors? Do you know why they picked those colors? They didn't want people hanging around their stores all day. Thus, they used science to pick colors that made people leave. SB should take a cue from that. If you don't want people randomly hanging out, don't build them a lounge.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Starbucks hates black people

Post by Leisher »

Here's your overreaction.

One store manager makes a mistake in judgement and now you'll have 8,000 more get treated like they would make the same mistake. Stores will be closed inconveniencing customers. And eventually, some store manager will fail to call the police for fear of being the center of this type of scandal.

Why can't we simply address the one person behind this instead of acting like 8,000 others would do the same?

I get training folks to not make mistakes, but the public spectacle of it all seems ridiculous.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Blanket punishment is what retarded people do when they don't know how to think for themselves.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Right?

I mean, I get the PR part of it, but they're going way overboard with this peacock display. They could frighten someone into making a mistake in the future.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

But don't you see how much they care? Have a latte while you consider it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Seriously, the over correction is just too much. It makes me suspicious. They are acting like the white people in Get Out.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

My default assumption on these things (hey, remember the black lady doctor on the airplane that was DISRESPECTED by the flight attendants?) is that they're fake news. We are not, and likely never will get the whole story, but I GUARANTEE that it did not go down the way it is being reported. Sometimes it's just flat out lies by the hate-crime victims (e.g., the waitress who forged a fake RACISS note on the receipt, or the black professor who found a noose on her door...because she put the noose there).

My guess is this particular Starbucks store has a chronic (heh) problem with homeless people coming in, not buying anything, using the toilet, and generally being annoying to customers. The likelihood of Starbucks employing an actual racist is so small as to be indistinguishable from zero.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I agree, although I'd vary the details a bit. I highly, highly, highly doubt the manager said anything like, "Call the police. I don't like black people just hanging out."

Rather, it was more along the lines of what you said. The store has issues with people hanging out and not buying anything, thus the police were called.
Troy

Post by Troy »

thibodeaux wrote:The likelihood of Starbucks employing an actual racist is so small as to be indistinguishable from zero.
I don't understand your thought process on this. I've worked with plenty of racists in the various food-service jobs I had growing up in the south. It's fairly difficult to screen for racism. Actually, it's hard to screen for anything. My first job out of college was a recruiter for a blue collar staffing company. It's never the ones you'd expect that fail the drug test. OK, sometimes it's the ones you expect. But it was the polite, friendly, clean-cut ones that surprised me with a red line on their piss cup and shook my world.

The rest of the story seems to be, according to the men, that they walked in and asked to use the bathroom while waiting for their business partner to arrive. Were refused as they didn't buy anything. So they sat and waited for their (WHITE) potential business partner to arrive. Within minutes the cops show up.

Real evidence that something fucked up happened is that when the cops starting doing their arrest thing, white patrons all over the store (including their white business partner) jumped to these guy's defense. This is Philly, in the North-East, people are NOT nice here by default, and it's ingrained to mind-you-own-fucking-business.

I can't even fault them for seemingly being "cheap". I just grabbed my breakfast from SB, and it was a sandwich and a large coffee and it was north of $10 dollars. If I wasn't on an expense account I'd have had my breakfast at home!

Cites: http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/19/news/co ... index.html

My personal thought, and everyone gets there own opinion, is that this was absolutely due to racism on the part of the manager. She's doesn't work there anymore.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: My personal thought, and everyone gets there own opinion, is that this was absolutely due to racism on the part of the manager.
You could be right. No doubt. Thib could also be right that there's been a history at this location of homeless folks hanging out, robberies, fights, etc. which prompted the manager to call the police. I don't see a breakdown of prior events in your description of what took place.

Also, serious question: What ethnicity is the now fired manager? We all assume she's white, but has that been pointed out anywhere? I assume she's white, but it would be amazing if she was black.

Last point based upon you sharing your personal experiences is that my personal experiences have shown me that EVERYONE is a bigot. EVERYONE. No exceptions. It's always been that way, and always will be that way. It's ingrained into our very nature as humans. Does that mean everyone is calling each other racist names and whatnot? No. Does it mean all white people are racists against blacks, all black people are racist against whites, and so on? No. Nobody loves all people/things. Nobody. They may tolerate them or pretend to do so publicly, but that's a looooong drive from loving them or even liking them.

It's just that the level of one's ignorance and willingness to display it varies from person to person.

The absolute worst bigots are the ones who truly, to their core, believe they aren't bigots.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I think I need to.shut down this forum for a day and force all the users to be treated like.children with a forced.racism lesson because someone somewhere did something.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: What ethnicity is the now fired manager? We all assume she's white, but has that been pointed out anywhere? I assume she's white, but it would be amazing if she was black.
Yes, she's white, it has been pointed out.
Leisher wrote: No. Nobody loves all people/things. Nobody. They may tolerate them or pretend to do so publicly, but that's a looooong drive from loving them or even liking them.
I hate everyone.

Aw dammit, now I'm malcolm.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

CEO opens bathrooms to everyone whether they make a purchase or not.

Someone please let all the homeless people know.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Finally, a safe space to shoot up.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I wonder when "use the bathroom" will transition to "hang out all day"
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

They hate Hispanics too.

Funniest part is that there's a coffee chain around here called Bigby's or something. Their previous name, for years, was Beaners.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Starbucks should really start using order numbers, instead of people's names words.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

When everything is robots, Starbucks will no longer have this problem.

Except when the electric eye can't see black people....
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

I give it better than 50/50 this is either a hoax or the guy instigated it somehow by actually telling the barista his name was "beaner."
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

https://www.dailynews.com/2018/05/17/st ... ffee-cups/
Harman noted that the barista herself is reportedly Latina.
Hoax or conspiracy. Guarantee.