General Space Thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Cakedaddy

General Space Thread

Post by Cakedaddy »

Lack of gravity? There's no gravity in space?
TheCatt
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
Troy wrote: We'll need some specific proteins/aminos acid or we can't survive long-term in space. Basically like the Jurassic park story line, but for humans.
We'll learn to simulate it.

I'm betting they discover that the lack of gravity is the culprit behind the changing DNA. And possibly the lack of sunlight?
And maybe the radiation.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by GORDON »

They have been reporting this wrong, shocker.

All of his DNA isn't being rewritten because one proton zipped through his body just so and flipped a single gene in ten of his cells. That single cellular genetic change isn't going to propogate through his entire body. It just means those particular cells.were changed in different ways, and, essentially, it is damage. It didn't "change his DNA" as has been reported by ignorant journalists.

He has radiation damage.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by TheCatt »

What really happened is that 7 percent of the way Kelly’s DNA is expressed changed after space travel, as Daniela Bezdan, research director of the Mason Laboratory of Integrative Genomics at Weill Cornell Medicine, explained in a tweet and confirmed in an email to Gizmodo. This is further confirmed in an expanded statement from Chris Mason, who writes that, while there were some mutations in both twins’ DNA after spaceflight, “although 93% of genes’ expression, returned to normal postflight, a subset of several hundred ‘space genes’ were still disrupted after return to Earth,” emphasis mine.

This kind of change is what’s known as epigenetic, and it is something very different.
Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Lack of gravity? There's no gravity in space?
There's nothing in space...and everything.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by GORDON »

You learn more from failure than you do from success.
Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by TheCatt »

I feel like people solved this one a long time ago
His attribute is the lightning bolt and the eagle is both his symbol and his messenger.... The Romans regarded Jupiter as the equivalent of Greek Zeus... [Zeus is] often referred to as the “Father of Gods and men”, he is a sky god who controls lightning (often using it as a weapon) and thunder. Zeus is king of Mount Olympus, the home of Greek gods, where he rules the world and imposes his will onto gods and mortals alike.
Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

New study claims humans are alone in the universe.

Uh...seems really unscientific and a ridiculous conclusion to reach.
GORDON
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by GORDON »

That's so unlikely that if true, I would be tempted to start believing in creationsim.
TheCatt
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Scientists: We are probably alone in our observable universe.
News: Human are alone in the universe.

But this is literally just conjecture. Although, conjecture based on a lack of evidence to the contrary.
Vince

General Space Thread

Post by Vince »

I'd read articles on that study at other sources. Seems much more scientific when read in other sources that delve into the study a little heavier. It reminded me of an inverse of the Drake equation when I first read this. People pull numbers out of their ass and plug them into the Drake equation and hold it up as proof there must be life out there.

I've stated here before that I think the odds are less likely than I used to think once I realized that I couldn't get around the need for controlled combustion (fire) for the initial spark of civilization. I suspect our species will be long gone before we have any idea unless an alien race comes here. We have such a small sampling of data for the Universe, or even our own galaxy as to the conditions of planets that guessing on the statistical odds that one could produce an alien civilization is simply fortune telling.

Add to that, we don't even have a decent understanding of life on the one planet we have the most data on about, that being our own. I posted a link elsewhere on a study on a DNA database that was created and if confirmed it pretty much crushes the understanding of what most evolutionary scientists thought they knew. The old adage is true: The more you learn, the less you know.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by GORDON »

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
TheCatt
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."