General Space Thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
GORDON
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by GORDON »

You're not the boss of me.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

General Space Thread

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: SimLife was tough. I never mastered it.
REALLY tough. Which is probably why this stuck with me 25 years later.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by GORDON »

Vince wrote:
GORDON wrote: SimLife was tough. I never mastered it.
REALLY tough. Which is probably why this stuck with me 25 years later.
"Ooh-lala!"
Vince

General Space Thread

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: So... still evolution.
"The simplest interpretation is that life is always evolving," said Stoeckle.

"It is more likely that—at all times in evolution—the animals alive at that point arose relatively recently."

In this view, a species only lasts a certain amount of time before it either evolves into something new or goes extinct.
But their own study argues against this.
What they saw was a lack of variation in so-called "neutral" mutations, which are the slight changes in DNA across generations that neither help nor hurt an individual's chances of survival.
Also, that really doesn't explain why 90% of species emerged at roughly the same time 100-200k years ago. If what he was saying was the cause, then as I stated before... we should be seeing a new species every couple of years.

I think Leisher is right. They're figuring out they're missing something. And it seems to be a pretty significant something.
Cakedaddy

General Space Thread

Post by Cakedaddy »

GORDON wrote: We can reproduce early earth conditions, throw the life ingredients in, and watch while.simple cells form just using basic physical laws, in a lab, and it isn't even hard.
Wouldn't that make you God? 10 billion years after you doing that, there's little people running around talking about "There was no GORDON you fruit. We just happened."
Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Shit like this really makes we wish we had warp speed so we could get closer.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Moon mystery solved.
HUMANS CAUSE MOON WARMING
Vince

General Space Thread

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: HUMANS CAUSE MOON WARMING
Of course! They flew an SUV up there! I mean... Duh!
Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

The Ghost Particle is here to shake shit up.

I hope they didn't find it next to an alien craft...
Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

Giant planet found just 20 light years from the Sun.

They are saying it's just a wandering planet with no tether to anything. It has a scalding hot surface and a crazy magnetic field.

I'm checking with my astronomy professor as I don't believe this is Planet X. If you don't know, scientists believe there is another planet in our solar system that's out past Pluto.
TheCatt
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Giant planet found just 20 light years from the Sun.

They are saying it's just a wandering planet with no tether to anything. It has a scalding hot surface and a crazy magnetic field.

I'm checking with my astronomy professor as I don't believe this is Planet X. If you don't know, scientists believe there is another planet in our solar system that's out past Pluto.
I remember Planet X discussions when I was kid. But I thought it was a smaller planet that this one. Also, light years seems crazy far for something that could be our solar system.

https://www.universetoday.com/104486/ho ... ar-system/
Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

I think one of the Voyager probes launched in the 70s just escaped our solar system in 2011 or 2012. It's a big solar system.

Here's a weird fact to break your brain: The Milky Way and the Andromeda galaxies WILL collide someday, and when they do, our solar system will be unaffected.

The scale of things in space is really, really fucking big.
GORDON
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by GORDON »

I dig that you dig astronomy class.
Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

So did my professor. I've always loved space. I mean, I'm a total Sci-Fi nerd, so it's not a stretch, but I love reading about it, learning about it, discussing it, etc.

I used to do this mental exercise when I was younger. I'd try to imagine what the universe could be contained within or what the edges must be like, and since there are none... Have you ever really sat down and thought about that? It's simple to just say, but really try to let your mind's eye fly you out there. It's a trip.
GORDON
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by GORDON »

Of.course I have... I even have a short story in mind for what happened when men developed the tech to find the edge of the universe.

Spoiler: they left, and came back, and suddenly all the nuts and bolts in the ship.were no longer the correct scale.
Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

There's a short story I really love about a discovery of a signal on the moon. I forget the name and author though. It's a story that really sparks the imagination and is left open ended for a reason.

A big ass meteor landed in Greenland and the AF, who has a base nearby, has been mum about it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: There's a short story I really love about a discovery of a signal on the moon. I forget the name and author though. It's a story that really sparks the imagination and is left open ended for a reason.

A big ass meteor landed in Greenland and the AF, who has a base nearby, has been mum about it.
It blew up 27 miles in the air.

More details here: https://theaviationist.com/2018/08/03/r ... greenland/